Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan

10 Fantastic Anime To Check Out For Fall 2020​

Gure

What an incredible time to be alive, with only good things ahead! That’s right, I’m talking about the showstopper 2020 fall anime season. For 30 minutes at a time, I can drown the misery and mundanity of the year in a truly fantastic lineup of new shows.

Wondering why this season is so strong? It’s actually because 2020 has been so awful. During the early days of the pandemic, dozens of promising spring and summer shows were pushed to October. Now, those shows are finally airing, and anime fans are spoiled for choice. From mysteries to musicals, there’s something for everyone in the lineup. I watched more than a dozen season premieres so you don’t have to. Here are my most promising picks:

Higurashi

FUNIMATION

Higurashi: When They Cry - GOU

Named for the eerie sound of cicadas at dusk, Higurashi is a creepy franchise that started with a murder mystery game in 2002. Now, modern and cute pastel character designs and pastoral backdrops set the stage for the latest adaptation of this unsettling psychological horror. Higurashi plays with expectations to startle the senses, following a lengthy skit of idyllic after school activities before jolting into blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moments of hyperrealism as protagonist Keiichi investivates a grisly murder. Though this transfer student spends his days with four adorable female classmates, that’s no assurance of his safety. A week after it premiered, the show already unveiled a surprise: a second-episode announcement that just made it clear this version will build further upon the chilling original.

Recommended For You
Watch it on: Funimation and Hulu

Hypnosis Mic

FUNIMATION

PROMOTED
Civic Nation BRANDVOICE | Paid Program

A Name That’s Long Overdue​

UNICEF USA BRANDVOICE | Paid Program

Putting Lives Back Together In Lebanon​

Grads of Life BRANDVOICE | Paid Program

Show Me The Equal Money​

HYPNOSISMIC -Division Rap Battle- Rhyme Anima

HypMic, as it is called by fans, is already something of a phenomenon—it’s a catchy music project starring 12 real-life performers in character as handsome anime boys. These personas may be scripted, but its success is real, with HypMic records climbing Japan’s music charts. So it’s no surprise that the new anime is a musical, too. These catchy numbers are enough to forgive a truly stupid plot, in which rap battles are the only combat left in this woman-controlled, post weapon society. If you’re an actual hip-hop fan you won’t be impressed by this flow, but anyone should marvel at the bang-up translation job that even makes the subtitles rhyme. Plus one of the characters rhymes “gangster” with “hamster,” a truly inspired move.

Watch it on: Funimation

Jujutsu Kaisen

CRUNCHYROLL

Jujutsu Kaisen

Sure to be a hit with the battle anime crowd, this show blends supernatural elements and fast-paced fighting to create an instant classic in the horror-action genre. The strength of this first episode rests heavily on the capable shoulders of protagonist Yuji can pivot effortlessly from comedically strong athlete, to shyly doting grandson, to energetic demon hunter. In just one episode, Jujutsu Kaisen packs in meaningful character development and sets the stage for a show that’s occult but not spooky, combat-heavy but not repetitive. The combination of humor and body horror elements is something I never expected to work, but this is looking like one of the biggest crowd-pleaser shows of the season so far.

Watch it on: Crunchyroll

Moriarty

FUNIMATION

Moriarty the Patriot

With a sepia color palette broken only by bright red blood splatter, this historical mystery story elements of gothic horror is heavy on the theatrics. The Black Butler set will adore the handsome, clever Moriarty, who puts his detective skills toward a decidedly more criminal direction than his rival, Sherlock Holmes. From the first minute of the episode, Moriarty focuses the viewer’s attention to the original Moriarty’s ghoulish appearance in comparison to his pretty boy makeover here. But there’s more than just looks to this criminal mastermind, who quickly draws us into his investigation into a badly behaving member of the nobility. In a wildly unfair society that allows the rich to do as they please, Moriarty uses his discoveries to mete out his own brand of justice. In our modern era of class divide, it’s as timely as it is satisfying.

See also: 'Moriarty The Patriot' Makes A Hero Of Holme's Ruthless Rival

Elaina

FUNIMATION

Wandering Witch - The Journey of Elaina

An escapist fantasy that sparkles in its depictions of cozy interiors straight out of a British picture book. Budding witch Elaina is a charmingly determined protagonist who only grows more likable after the pilot episode’s character development, in which mentor Fran teaches her to get comfortable with failure. I look forward to following along as she rolls up her sleeves and cheerfully solves problems along the course of her journey. The show’s stunning visuals combine with casual depictions of the everyday life of its fantasy denizens to transport us to another world that feels far more original than any dime-a-dozen “stuck in a videogame” fantasy stories. Fans of Little Witch Academia and Flying Witch should absolutely check this out.

Remaining on the website below'

Guess i better clear some space on the computer. There is a limit when 4TB of space on external and internal hard disks is filled to the end

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom