AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
I dont think so man. Espeacially from back. And on the other hand with wich ammo type ? 35 mm Apfsds ammo's can be penetrateable 130mm. A a little warn 60-70 tonnes M60a3 have 200mm frontal armor protection.
there is huge difference with 35mm and 30mm.. that's why many goes to 35 and 40mm.. because most of modern IFVs are protected by 30mm.. if you look other videos, they installed huge armor on the back too..

A

adenl

A bit cumbersome to use paint for this one because the differences are minute.

This Leotay turret features an L44 gun with either the Leopard 2 mantlet, but up-armored (the armor extends more forward and higher than on the Leo2 or Altay) or the Altay mantlet but also up-armored. This Leotay mantlet features a gunners auxiliary sight in the style of the Leopard 2, which is different from the Altay, whose auxiliary sight is situated on top of the mantlet. This either means that the mantlet is a Leo 2 mantlet or a heavily modified Altay mantlet, which borrows the auxiliary sight location of the Leo 2. This Leotay mantlet is so modified that I can't say for sure what its origin is, either the Altay or Leo 2. But I am leaning more towards a modified, up-armored Altay mantlet with the auxiliary sight moved to within the mantlet.

The undersides of the turret front armor follows the outlines of the Altay turret more than the Leo 2 turret. The Leotay turret misses the characteristic Leo 2 indents on the underside of the front cheeks, on both sides of the mantlet.

The weird 'knob' (which I have no idea what its purpose is, could be NBC related??) on the side of the Leotay turret is present on the Altay but not on the Leo 2.

The location of the gunners sight and commander's sight is the same as on the Altay. As well as the RCWS

The location of the hoist-points is the same as on the Altay, albeit a bit different.

The arrangement and amount of smoke grenades are the same as on the Altay.

The position of the APS is the same as on the Altay.

The position of the laser waring systems and 360 degree camera's on the corners of the turret, is the same as the upgraded Altay presented at IDEF '19, but different than the earlier Altay PV-1/2 configuration.

This is enough for me to conclude that this is indeed an Altay turret in origin, though heavily modified with extra front, roof and side turret armor and of course the rest of the sensors and gizmo's.

This turret is still a prototype though, looking at the dummy place holders for the optical sights, the RCWS misses the electro-optical sensors and the radars for the APS are just cosmetic panels. It still needs a lot of work and testing I think. This upgrade is far from being accepted by the army but it does look very promising.

Thanks to @Stimpy75 for the IDEF '19 photo's of the Altay.
During the demonstration, BMC also revealed its proposed solution for the possible Leopard 2A4 MBT upgrade project. The modified vehicle is built to show the company's capabilities as a technology demonstrator. Based on the high-definition images shared on the official Twitter account of the Turkish Ministry of National Defense, the vehicle is equipped with the turret of the ALTAY FTR (Firepower Test Rig) pre-prototype vehicle. The turret is fitted with a dummy armor module, which is welded to the turret sides to imitate the ALTAY T1 turret's visual characteristics. However, various sources confused these welded metal parts (some visible welding defects are seen on the turret) with the Roketsan-made add-on armor modules (Roketsan is not involved with this tech-demo). The demo turret is armed with the L44 cannon removed from the original Leopard 2A4 turret. The gun mantlet (the armored part around the main cannon) still retains the FERO-Z18 auxiliary sighting telescope on the lower right corner. It seems that the turret is fitted with a dummy fire control system and optics, as the commander's independent panoramic sight does not contain electro-optical parts. Currently, Leopard 2A4 Main Battle Tank (MBT) modernization activities are officially carried out by Aselsan and Roketsan. BMC's technology demonstrator with ALTAY turret was developed by the company's own initiatives to display BMC's talent and capabilities. However, it is not clear yet whether the upgrade package will be implemented in the future

@Defence Turkey can I get a shout-out? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some Good News indeed!

Deliveries of LEOPARD 2A4 tanks modernized with T1 armor packs started.

> The First 2 Tanks have been Delivered.

Ballistic tests of the Leopard 2A4 T1 Additional Armor System, which was developed in a period of 6 months in line with the needs of the Land Forces Command, were carried out between July-December 2019 and full protection was provided in all firing tests.

T1 armor system will be integrated into a total of 40 LEOPARD 2A4 tanks in 2021 and delivered to the Land Forces Command.

Last edited:

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
79 16,377
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some Good News indeed!

Ballistic tests of the Leopard 2A4 T1 Additional Armor System, which was developed in a period of 6 months in line with the needs of the Land Forces Command, were carried out between July-December 2019 and full protection was provided in all firing tests.

T1 armor system will be integrated into a total of 40 LEOPARD 2A4 tanks in 2021 and delivered to the Land Forces Command.

I am wondering if they are going to also consider BMC's package (especially the modified turret) in limited numbers.

A

adenl

I am wondering if they are going to also consider BMC's package (especially the modified turret) in limited numbers.
If they manage to have a fully completed model instead of the prototype/technology demonstrator, then most probably they will. The political will is there and the ambition too.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some Good News indeed!

I hope there's going to some APS integration, especially with the YPG and PKK having Konkurs/KORNET/JAVELIN/AT4 ATGM.

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Altay´s Eveloution

Otokar Developed Altay (From FNSS SAMUR video 19.01.2021)

1613575405320.png

BMC Modified Altay (Demonstration 23.01.2021)

1613575763443.png

Attachments

• 1613575571541.png
    1613575571541.png
    515.7 KB · Views: 102
S

Sinan

This video is 9 years old. Maybe our young members don't know the video.

9 years ago... i heard that we are developing our tank, and saw this video. I had been very proud and for weeks i watched this video, several times a day. I also got interested in the defence industry.

Good old days. :)

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
A comparison of Leopard 2A7 with Trophy APS and our Anatolian Leopard with Altay Turret and AKKOR APS - IMO BMC version is most elegant.

LEOPARD_2_A7_A1_FOTO_KMW.jpg

1611931168398.jpeg

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
AKKOR PULAT intercepting a missile (Likely KORNET-E) , unfortunately not very clear. Hoping we will see footage at some point.
lYqsISzkiPbJS2Ix.gif

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom