Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
658mm of RHA penetration is pretty neat for MKE. Comparable to DM53
What's the high pressure rounds purpose?

Apparently a high pressure test round, probably to test newly forged cannons.
1636320107028.png

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,681
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

"US sanctions signal to Ankara disrupts Turkey-South Korea plans"
Bullshit detected. There was no transfer of technology in the first place. The deal was about an interim solution no one delivers their technology for a mere 40-50 powerpacks. And i don't know what technology SK will deliver to us when the Turkish powerpack is in such an advanced development phase.

Ardabas34

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Bullshit detected. There was no transfer of technology in the first place. The deal was about an interim solution no one delivers their technology for a mere 40-50 powerpacks. And i don't know what technology SK will deliver to us when the Turkish powerpack is in such an advanced development phase.

Well I dont know about that. Lets hope yoi are right.

Here is the Defense News article:

Ardabas34

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
By Burak Ege Bekdil :)

Who is that?
Does he have a reputation for sth?

Oh I remember a "bokdil" being talked in this forum, is this him?

Anyway, there is also a defense news link I shared above however.

Though I didnt look into that. Perhaps it is a bit different.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
It is unlikely that the U.S. has put pressure on Turkey and South Korea's contract to supply Altay tanks this time. Turkey is famous for actively pursuing the introduction of technologies from other countries in areas where development capabilities are insufficient in weapons development projects. (Especially Germany and Europe). In this contract, it is highly likely that Turkey demanded the transfer of technology to Korean engines. However, it is very unlikely that the technology of Korean engines will be transferred to Turkey. In 2014, Turkey attempted to transfer the technology of the 1200 horsepower Mitsubishi engine used in the Japanese type 10 tank, but the negotiations broke down due to Japan's refusal to transfer the technology. In 2016, Turkey wanted to receive engine technology from South Korea, but the deal was not concluded due to South Korea's rejection. Contrary to the Turkishs thoughts, Korea is currently very negative about the transfer of military technology to Turkey. A South Korean general, who was previously involved in Turkey's Altay tank project from 2008 to 2014, received 800 million won(At that time, the exchange rate was USD 720,000) in bribes from a Turkish military broker and leaked the technology of a tank that requires approval from the Korean DAPA (Defense Acquisition Program Administration) to Turkey without permission. After this, There was not a single case in which South Korea transferred military technology to Turkey after the Altay Tank Project. And South Korea became extremely reluctant to transfer military technology to Turkey, and I think this contract for engine supply also showed Korea's sensitive response to the technology leak.

Last edited:

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,707
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is unlikely that the U.S. has put pressure on Turkey and South Korea's contract to supply Altay tanks this time. Turkey is famous for actively pursuing the introduction of technologies from other countries in areas where development capabilities are insufficient in weapons development projects. (Especially Germany and Europe). In this contract, it is highly likely that Turkey demanded the transfer of technology to Korean engines. However, it is very unlikely that the technology of Korean engines will be transferred to Turkey. In 2014, Turkey attempted to transfer the technology of the 1200 horsepower Mitsubishi engine used in the Japanese type 10 tank, but the negotiations broke down due to Japan's refusal to transfer the technology. In 2016, Turkey wanted to receive engine technology from South Korea, but the deal was not concluded due to South Korea's rejection. Contrary to the Turkishs thoughts, Korea is currently very negative about the transfer of military technology to Turkey. A South Korean general, who was previously involved in Turkey's Altay tank project from 2008 to 2014, received 800 million won(676,246 USD) in bribes from a Turkish military broker and leaked the technology of a tank that requires approval from the Korean DAPA (Defense Acquisition Program Administration) to Turkey without permission. After this, There was not a single case in which South Korea transferred military technology to Turkey after the Altay Tank Project. And South Korea became extremely reluctant to transfer military technology to Turkey, and I think this contract for engine supply also showed Korea's sensitive response to the technology leak.
Could it be Otokar or BMC that is the broker in question ? It's really stupid to ruin a good relation with bribery.

AKP and RTE affiliated people aren't (IMO) known to conduct themselves properly.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
Could it be Otokar or BMC that is the broker in question ? It's really stupid to ruin a good relation with bribery.

AKP and RTE affiliated people aren't (IMO) known to conduct themselves properly.
I have lived in Turkey for 3 years, so I know some about AKP and RTE. There's every possibility. It's my personal guess, but it's possible that it's a military intermediary related to Otokar. It's really sad, but since the unauthorized leak of tank technology in South Korea, this incident has become a big issue in South Korea and has also been the biggest reason why Koreans have antipathy against Turkey. For this reason, some conservative Koreans criticize or speak ill of Turkey and Turks for no reason. And still, most Koreans tend to think very negatively of any military cooperation with Turkey because of this incident in the past. Since then, South Korea has created a stronger legal system to protect military technology, and now it needs more complex processes to transfer military technology abroad.

Last edited:

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,707
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have lived in Turkey for 3 years, so I know some about AKP and RTE. There's every possibility. It's my personal guess, but it's possible that it's a military intermediary related to Otokar. It's really sad, but since the unauthorized leak of tank technology in South Korea, this incident has become a big issue in South Korea and has also been the biggest reason why Koreans have antipathy against Turkey. For this reason, some conservative Koreans criticize or speak ill of Turkey and Turks for no reason. And still, most Koreans tend to think very negatively of any military cooperation with Turkey because of this incident in the past. Since then, South Korea has created a stronger legal system to protect military technology, and now it needs more complex processes to transfer military technology abroad.
It is very unfortunate. But I'm glad that SK has tightened up security around military secrets.

It makes me wonder why and what gain Otokar would have from doing such a thing. Could the incident have resulted in Otokar not getting the Altay tender and why it went to BMC. We'll have to check the timeline.

Could you please enlighten us as to the leakage just a general summary if the Tank, if possible ?

Last edited:

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,824
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
First time, we heard about that issue. But one single unworthy behavior should not ruin our long, deep and good relationship.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,824
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is very unfortunate. But I'm glad that SK has tightened up security around military secrets.

It makes me wonder why and what gain Otokar would have from doing such a thing. Could the incident have resulted in Otokar not getting the Altay tender and why it went to BMC. We'll have to check the timeline.

Could you please enlighten us as to the leakage just a general summary if the Tank, if possible ?
Interesting question.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea

The person who leaked Korean tank technology was the military attaché of the Korean Embassy in Turkey. (His rank in the military is Brigadier General)

In April 2016, the Korean prosecution checked the suspicious deposit details from the account of a ghost company established under the name of his wife and later investigated the account. After signing a contract for technical support and technology transfer to the development of Altay tanks, a consulting fee of $20,000 per month was received from an unknown Turkish arms broker. He received USD 720,000 from a Turkish broker for 3 years in the name of advisory fees.

And he was found to have used his position to threaten employees of the Defense Acquisition Program Administration to directly help them sign technical support and technology transfer contracts for the development of Altay tanks.

Later, he and an employee of the Defense Acquisition Program Administration were legally punished for leaking military technology to Turkey without permission.

Last edited:

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The person who leaked Korean tank technology was the military attaché of the Korean Embassy in Turkey. (His rank in the military is Brigadier General)

In April 2016, the Korean prosecution checked the suspicious deposit details from the account of a ghost company established under the name of his wife and later investigated the account. After signing a contract for technical support and technology transfer to the development of Altay tanks, a consulting fee of $20,000 per month was received from an unknown Turkish arms broker. He received USD 720,000 from a Turkish broker for 3 years in the name of advisory fees.

And he was found to have used his position to threaten employees of the Defense Acquisition Program Administration to directly help them sign technical support and technology transfer contracts for the development of Altay tanks.

Later, he and an employee of the Defense Acquisition Program Administration were legally punished for leaking military technology to Turkey without permission.

If this issue is real, there is no reason to harbor hostility or ill will towards Turkey and Turkish people on this issue. Everyone demands everything, what matters is the attitude of the person being offered. If the issue is the illegal transfer of sensitive technology, the person whose intentions should be questioned here is the Korean you mentioned and under any circumstances, countries do not classify their trade partners according to the mistakes made by one of their own citizen. If this were the case, no one would trade with Israel, which is notorious for irregularities in tenders, transfer of secret technologies and bribes in tenders but I see that South Korea, which is alleged to have turned against Turkey, does not see any inconvenience in making arms deals with Israel. Even if this issue is real, it is not correct to generalize and create a bad perception of Turkey. I cannot approve of implicitly blaming Turkey for other projects that come up between Turkey and South Korea by putting this issue on the agenda.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
If this issue is real, there is no reason to harbor hostility or ill will towards Turkey and Turkish people on this issue. Everyone demands everything, what matters is the attitude of the person being offered. If the issue is the illegal transfer of sensitive technology, the person whose intentions should be questioned here is the Korean you mentioned and under any circumstances, countries do not classify their trade partners according to the mistakes made by one of their own citizen. If this were the case, no one would trade with Israel, which is notorious for irregularities in tenders, transfer of secret technologies and bribes in tenders but I see that South Korea, which is alleged to have turned against Turkey, does not see any inconvenience in making arms deals with Israel. Even if this issue is real, it is not correct to generalize and create a bad perception of Turkey. I cannot approve of implicitly blaming Turkey for other projects that come up between Turkey and South Korea by putting this issue on the agenda.
I agree with your argument. I don't think anyone should criticize or give bad perception to people in a particular country or country for any reason. I don't think this alone should ruin the relationship between the state and the state

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom