Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Nuclear Notebook: United States nuclear weapons, 2021

By Hans M. Kristensen, Matt Korda, January 12, 2021

(...)

At least until 2010, Turkey was still using F-16s for the nuclear mission, although it is possible that the mission has since been mothballed. In 2019, the Trump administration also halted delivery of F-35As to Turkey––some of which were intended to be used in the nuclear mission––because of its plans to acquire the Russian S-400 air-defense system (DeYoung, Fahim, and Demirjian 2019). Concerns were raised about the security of the nuclear weapons at the Incirlik base during the failed coup attempt in Turkey in July 2016, and the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee for Europe stated in September 2020 that “our presence, quite honestly, in Turkey is certainly threatened,” and further noted that “we don’t know what’s going to happen to Incirlik” (Gehrke 2020). Despite rumors in late 2017 that the weapons had been “quietly removed” (Hammond 2017), reports in 2019 that US officials had reviewed emergency nuclear weapons evacuation plans (Sanger 2019) indicated that that there were still weapons present at the base. The numbers appear to have been reduced, however, from up to 50 to approximately 20. If the United States decided to withdraw the remaining nuclear weapons from Incirlik, it could probably do so with a single C-17 transport aircraft from the 4th Airlift Squadron at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington—the only unit in the Air Force that is qualified to airlift nuclear weapons.

(...)

FYI

KKF 2.0

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Key sentence:

"If the United States decided to withdraw the remaining nuclear weapons from Incirlik, it could probably do so with a single C-17 transport aircraft"

Honestly, I'm not an anti-American 'Turkey stronk' guy but do we really need American nuclear weapons stationed on Turkish soil?

I feel like we're making ourselves a target without benefiting politically and/or economically from this situation.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,099
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Key sentence:

"If the United States decided to withdraw the remaining nuclear weapons from Incirlik, it could probably do so with a single C-17 transport aircraft"

Honestly, I'm not an anti-American 'Turkey stronk' guy but do we really need American nuclear weapons stationed on Turkish soil?

I feel like we're making ourselves a target without benefiting politically and/or economically from this situation.

Its not necessary to have them in Turkey, but NATO's Nuclear Sharing is a pillar of Turkish defence and security.

Glass🚬

Contributor
Reactions
2 3,159
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Its not necessary to have them in Turkey, but NATO's Nuclear Sharing is a pillar of Turkish defence and security.

Tells one a lot if that pillar is collapsing , now a NATO exit plan if they arent already developing one.

" The numbers appear to have been reduced, however, from up to 50 to approximately 20."

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,099
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Tells one a lot if that pillar is collapsing , now a NATO exit plan if they arent already developing one.

They can remove them just like that. And we both know you're not a friend of NATO, so of course you will see it black and I choose to see white ;)

Top Bottom