Live Conflict Azerbaijan and Armenia clash over Nagorno-Karabakh region Updates & Discussion

Bogeyman 

Contributor
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Armenia seeks bigger Russian military presence on its territory​

Armenia would welcome the expansion of a Russian military base on its territory and the redeployment of some Russian forces closer to its border with Azerbaijan after a conflict with its neighbour last year, its defence minister said on Monday.
Ethnic Armenian troops in the Nagorno-Karabakh region ceded swathes of territory in and around the enclave to Azerbaijan in a six-week conflict in 2020 that claimed thousands of lives.

Russian peacekeeping troops are deployed in the enclave and, under a formal defence pact with Armenia, Russia has a fully-fledged military base in the city of Gyumri near the Turkish border with an estimated 3,000 troops.

Russia said in November it was deploying almost 2,000 servicemen as part of the peacekeeping mission.

“The question of expanding and bolstering the Russian military base on the territory of Armenia has always been on the agenda,” Armenian Defence Minister Vagharshak Harutyunyan told Russia’s RIA news agency in an interview published on Monday.

“The Armenian side has always been interested in this.”

Harutyunyan did not say whether there were any concrete plans for a potential expansion.

Armenian opposition politicians have called for the creation of a second Russian base in Armenia’s southern Syunik region, wedged between Azerbaijan and the Azeri exclave of Nakhchivan.

Harutyunyan said he saw no need for Russia to formally open a second military base, but said the two countries were considering deploying a military unit from the existing base to eastern Armenia, near the border with Azerbaijan.

Harutyunyan did not disclose the purpose of the potential redeployment nor its exact location.

Russia’s Defence Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Armenia’s opposition, which has called on Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan to resign over the outcome of the conflict, planned to stage a fresh street protest on Monday.

AzeriTank

Reaction score
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan

Vergennes

Contributor
Professional
France Moderator
Reaction score
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France

Philip the Arab

Reaction score
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Something interesting from an Armenian company presented at IDEX 2021.

Supposed specs of the drone

Performance characteristics and details about the UAV:

▫️Can be assembled and ready for a mission in seconds

▫️ Operated by one operator via tablet

▫️Has fixed wings and variable sweep wings

▫️Can be armed with high-explosive / high-explosive fragmentation anti-tank shells

▫️Can deliver high-precision strikes against stationary and mobile ground targets

▫️Can automatically detect and lock targets

▫️Operator can select and direct the drone to designated targets (Man-In-The-Loop)

▫️Can make decisions about attacking targets

▫️ Cruising speed: 150 km / h; loitering speed: 80 km / h: maximum speed: 200 km / h

▫️Attack can be performed at any angle - from horizontal to vertical

▫️UV weight: 5 kg

▫️ Range: up to 80 km

▫️ Autonomy: up to 1 hour

Last edited:

Test7

Experienced member
Reaction score
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Something interesting from an Armenian company presented at IDEX 2021.

Supposed specs of the drone

Performance characteristics and details about the UAV:

▫️Can be assembled and ready for a mission in seconds

▫️ Operated by one operator via tablet

▫️Has fixed wings and variable sweep wings

▫️Can be armed with high-explosive / high-explosive fragmentation anti-tank shells

▫️Can deliver high-precision strikes against stationary and mobile ground targets

▫️Can automatically detect and lock targets

▫️Operator can select and direct the drone to designated targets (Man-In-The-Loop)

▫️Can make decisions about attacking targets

▫️ Cruising speed: 150 km / h; loitering speed: 80 km / h: maximum speed: 200 km / h

▫️Attack can be performed at any angle - from horizontal to vertical

▫️UV weight: 5 kg

▫️ Range: up to 80 km

▫️ Autonomy: up to 1 hour
Perhaps most of the products shown at the fairs are wooden or plastical models. It's not even a prototype. Technical and physical infrastructure is required for a successful product to enter any army inventory. They need to be tested and developed for many years. You cannot produce a successful military product in such a short time as you can pull a rabbit out of a hat. To take the products at the fairs seriously, it is enough to look at the producing company. It doesn't matter if the range in the catalog data is 1 km or 10000 km.

Philip the Arab

Reaction score
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Perhaps most of the products shown at the fairs are models. It's not even a prototype. Technical and physical infrastructure is required for a successful product to enter any army inventory. They need to be tested and developed for many years. You cannot produce a successful military product in such a short time as you can pull a rabbit out of a hat. To take the products at the fairs seriously, it is enough to look at the producing company. It doesn't matter if the range in the catalog data is 1 km or 10000 km.
Don't kill the messenger as I take this with a grain of salt as well imo. They would be better off importing Chinesium loitering munitions.

Test7

Experienced member
Reaction score
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Don't kill the messenger as I take this with a grain of salt as well imo. They would be better off importing Chinesium loitering munitions.
I dont understanding how Armenia plans to sell this product at the fair. if i were a buyer I would say ''why do you want to sell this product to me? After the Karabakh defeat..

Philip the Arab

Reaction score
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
I dont understanding how Armenia plans to sell this product at the fair. if i were a buyer I would say ''why do you want to sell this product to me? After the Karabakh defeat..
Don't ask me my friend probably looking to make some quick cash. Unlikely anybody is interested in it considering the many, many options on the table.

Test7

Experienced member
Reaction score
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Don't ask me my friend probably looking to make some quick cash. Unlikely anybody is interested in it considering the many, many options on the table.

my reaction is not to you. I think they are planning to repair damaged military prestige in this way.

Oryx 

Think Tank Analyst
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Netherlands
How do you prevent accidental double counting ? I always wondered that.
By going through every entry already included in the list and looking at the damage pattern, camouflage, scrapes and other minor details to rule out double entries. It's extremely time-consuming o_O

Top Bottom