Bangladesh Air-Force BAF Starts Process To Modernize Second Batch Of Mig-29

M

Manomed

Is the mig-29s bought by Bangladesh any good? I heard lots of bad stuff about Mig-29 would like to hear bangladeshi side of the story

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Is the mig-29s bought by Bangladesh any good? I heard lots of bad stuff about Mig-29 would like to hear bangladeshi side of the story
We were supposed to get more Migs but the next gov cancelled the order and refused to take the Migs That we had paid for out of personal spite and sell the ones we have today. . I saw somewhere that by the time F-16 engines were overhauled, Fulcrums engines would have to go through six overhauls.
I would say Migs are maintenance heavy fighters just look at this article

Cheap To Own, Expensive To Use

Part of the reason why the MiGs were expensive and difficult to maintain was that Russian equipment were generally not made to match the high standards of their western counterparts. They are generally simple to operate and rugged to allow for operations under austere conditions but are certainly not made to last. They are relatively cheap to produce in large quantities so if any were to break down, they can be easily replaced rather than repaired. According to Mark Bobbi of IHS, during the Cold War, the Soviet Union's massive defense spending resulted in and allowed for hugely wasteful procurement practices where by aircraft manufacturers such as Mikoyan Gurevich and Sukhoi would design so called " throwaway aircrafts ", expected to operate for ten years or so with little or no maintenance before they were scrapped and replaced with all new aircrafts. So if you are trying to get some Russian or legacy Soviet equipment repaired, be ready to face some real hurdles.

The quality of service and support from Russia is also simply not at the same level as those from Western companies like Boeing or Dassault. Apart from the language barrier, the work culture is entirely different. Business ethics may be non-existent, as the Russian supply chain is notoriously known to be the most inefficient and corrupt.

To make matters worse, the Malaysians themselves imposed restrictions as to who could supply parts and carry out maintenance works on their aircrafts. It seemed that only companies majority owned by indigenous people could qualify and they of course seized the opportunity to inflate prices, since there was little transparency and almost no competition. In the end, each Fulcrum would cost $5 million to service annually, and that's in US Dollars, not the Malaysian Riggit which in recent times had fallen to historical lows.

Fun fact: We wanted to get F-16s but the US refused to sell them to us. We even sent pilots to train in Turkey. Erbakan was in power at the time.

M

Manomed

We were supposed to get more Migs but the next gov cancelled the order and refused to take the Migs That we had paid for out of personal spite and sell the ones we have today. . I saw somewhere that by the time F-16 engines were overhauled, Fulcrums engines would have to go through six overhauls.
I would say Migs are maintenance heavy fighters just look at this article

Cheap To Own, Expensive To Use

Part of the reason why the MiGs were expensive and difficult to maintain was that Russian equipment were generally not made to match the high standards of their western counterparts. They are generally simple to operate and rugged to allow for operations under austere conditions but are certainly not made to last. They are relatively cheap to produce in large quantities so if any were to break down, they can be easily replaced rather than repaired. According to Mark Bobbi of IHS, during the Cold War, the Soviet Union's massive defense spending resulted in and allowed for hugely wasteful procurement practices where by aircraft manufacturers such as Mikoyan Gurevich and Sukhoi would design so called " throwaway aircrafts ", expected to operate for ten years or so with little or no maintenance before they were scrapped and replaced with all new aircrafts. So if you are trying to get some Russian or legacy Soviet equipment repaired, be ready to face some real hurdles.

The quality of service and support from Russia is also simply not at the same level as those from Western companies like Boeing or Dassault. Apart from the language barrier, the work culture is entirely different. Business ethics may be non-existent, as the Russian supply chain is notoriously known to be the most inefficient and corrupt.

To make matters worse, the Malaysians themselves imposed restrictions as to who could supply parts and carry out maintenance works on their aircrafts. It seemed that only companies majority owned by indigenous people could qualify and they of course seized the opportunity to inflate prices, since there was little transparency and almost no competition. In the end, each Fulcrum would cost $5 million to service annually, and that's in US Dollars, not the Malaysian Riggit which in recent times had fallen to historical lows.

Fun fact: We wanted to get F-16s but the US refused to sell them to us. We even sent pilots to train in Turkey. Erbakan was in power at the time.
I know bangladesh and Pakistan have sour relations but JF-17 could fill the role for BAF they are basically poor mans F-16

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I know bangladesh and Pakistan have sour relations but JF-17 could fill the role for BAF they are basically poor mans F-16
if we can get the real thing (F-16V) or even better , then why not plus Myanmar operates Jf-17. They would know the Strengths and weaknesses of Jf-17.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

The current contenders for the MRCA program are EFT, Rafale, F-16 and F-18. JF -17 is way too old topic now.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
BAF issued tender again to upgrade the second batch of Mig-29.

1666874836886.png

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,297
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh