Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Italian Tabloid report on EFT offer to Egypt

"Al Sisi is just waiting for a phone call from Draghi," says an authoritative representative of the Italian government. The phone call should unlock a military contract worth at least 3 billion euros. About 60% of the sum would go to Leonardo. The former Finmeccanica has been in talks with Egypt for three years for the sale of 24 Eurofighters, the [...]

(locked behind the paywall)

3 billion for 24 jets means ~ 125 million USD/aircraft .
Bear in mind Egypt would be a first time customer , not sure if this sum includes associated costs, would not be surprised if there is a combination of new and old airframes in this offer @Isa Khan

News is one year old actually and it's $3.2 billion ($133 million) but it doesn't specifically say that the money is for 24 EFTs. I noticed @Gamal's discussion in a tweet but now it's deleted. Nothing else on the net either. Anyway good for us if it's true but our plan for now is $2.9 billion for 16 fighters.

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Anyway good for us if it's true but our plan for now is $2.9 billion for 16 fighters.
i was always worried because the Qatari and Kuwaiti purchases were ~ 300 million plus USD/jet . i think the Kuwaiti one was around 321 million/jet

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
If discussions are underway with several countries, including Malaysia, Bangladesh and even Saudi Arabia, 3 prospects stand out, to be now, if not close to an order, in any case close to a decision : Iraq, Serbia and Colombia; so that after having equaled the export scores of the Mirage 2000, the Rafale could well, in the end, approach and perhaps even exceed the 470 aircraft exported to 10 countries of the Mirage F1, without however hoping to catch up with the absolute record of the Mirage III/V, 950 copies exported to 17 initial customers.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
COAS at Farnborough International Airshow 2022. With the current economic condition i think we have no other option except J-10. Most logical and affordable choice with local MRO already existing for Chinese aircraft.

293792774_369295545286432_6679026449823834905_n.jpg
294151473_369294948619825_7533345692094475028_n.jpg
294888335_369294988619821_177586099478577043_n.jpg

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,311
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
COAS at Farnborough International Airshow 2022. With the current economic condition i think we have no other option except J-10. Most logical and affordable choice with local MRO already existing for Chinese aircraft.

293792774_369295545286432_6679026449823834905_n.jpg
294151473_369294948619825_7533345692094475028_n.jpg
294888335_369294988619821_177586099478577043_n.jpg

China is the main supplier of Myanmar, also their closest ally. Don't know if J-10 is a wise choice.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
China is the main supplier of Myanmar, also their closest ally. Don't know if J-10 is a wise choice.

And the other supports India. We talked about this before. Like the balancing act in geopolitics we'll have to source aircraft from both sources. I don't think we still can afford large number of Western aircraft and even if we can it will be a bad idea to completely rely on Western countries. So like it or not we'll have to chose a Chinese (or Russian) aircraft and J-10 seems the logical most logical choice based on budget and political issue. Focus is not only Myanmar here. The other option is making a single engine jet (supposed) locally but that's only in talks now (basically a wet dream). Still there'll be issue about engine.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Looks like Rafale is out of competition. This news is old though. ATM Gripen is the most logical choice perhaps. The way we keep facing one crisis after another, better buy something cost effective. Though not expecting any purchase anytime soon now.

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The total cost to buy the warplanes will be Tk 25,200 crore. Of this, Tk 7,300 crore will be required for one-time payment in the first year. The Air Force Headquarters has requested the Ministry of Defense to include the issue in the forthcoming budget (FY 2021-22). A copy of the proposal has also been sent to the finance secretary, sources in the finance department said.

The proposal calls for the purchase of state-of-the-art MRCA warplanes capable of providing all-round assistance on land and at sea, as well as effective defense systems in response to the current geopolitical situation and potential threats. Neighboring countries have more contemporary modern warplanes. In light of the Forces Goal 2030, there are guidelines for deploying multiple MRCA squadrons in the Air Force. As part of this, an MRCA (MiG-29 fighter) squadron was added to the Air Force fleet in 1999, which is currently operating. The purchase of fighter jets required to set up another MRCA squadron is currently under consideration at the policy-making level of the government.

Based on the tender process for the 16 aircraft and the proposals submitted by the governments of different countries, the Air Force says that according to the plan, the procurement process will be completed in G to G method. In order to make an MRCA purchase agreement, a down payment of the first year will require 25 per cent of the total value or Tk 7,300 crore in the next financial year. This money needs to be kept in reserve in bulk without being included in the regular budget of the Air Force. The rest of the money has to be paid within 5-10 years. Or the money can be raised for one-time payment in the first year by including it in the project form in the annual development plan. In that case also, according to the agreement, it will be necessary to make arrangements for payment in the remaining 5-10 years.

According to the Air Force proposal, the Armed Forces Department has already approved in principle the purchase of 16 state-of-the-art Western Origin (MRCA) MRCAs. The procurement process is currently in process. The purchase of these proposed aircraft is quite expensive. For this reason, buying them from the regular budget of the Air Force will have a negative impact on the operating budget of the Air Force. As a result, there will be a deficit in installment payment, management and maintenance.

EFT and Dassault delegations visit in 2019. EFT's delegation visited twice in that year. (January and May) (Note the EFT replica.)

It seems BAF was quite busy that year. Even had visit from a joint delegation of CATIC, AVIC & CAC. Plus chief's visit in Sweden.

It also seems any deal may include 214 MROU. Don't know if I said it before but my speculation is BAF already selected the jet when they asked the finance ministry for necessary budget cause the report says exact details about the allocation and installment BAF have to make in a year. Like the Mi-28NE report.

1680277886650.png

1680277917078.png

1680277951375.png

1680277985788.png

1680278017425.png

1680278040656.png

1680278098144.png

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,315
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Yeah, my thought exactly. But the finance ministry could not allocate the budget. And I don't have any hope for this year too.

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Very interesting information 👆

that's almost ~ 90 million USD/jet (or less depending on the figures quoted here) with armaments and logistics.
that's a steal !
I wonder if we can get any in ''friendship prices''

They managed to get the Export variant of the PL-15 , which claims a max range of 145km.

@Isa Khan i recon we will face hurdles if we try to get Meteors or AIM-120C7/C5, That or our own policymakers will back down under pressure

Investing in the J-10CE with PL-15E will be good for us
1. We can get something that is close to or better than AIM- 120C7
2. It is likely to be cheaper than European/US Counterparts
3. We do not become completely dependent on EU/US/UK for AAM supply subject to
@Afif

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,315
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
@F-6 enthusiast This indeed a good deal bro!
However, considering long term strategic pros and cons I will still insist on Eurofighter.

And yes, i a had that concern with getting western BVR missiles too.
But here's the thing I believe BAF is competent enough to not finalize any deal without BVR package.

And given we didn't signed whatever agreement with USA to get high end stuff, we are not getting AIM-120 (with Eurofighter) anyway.

I think we can safely assume Rafale is out of the equation. So it will only leave Eurofighter with meteor.
And either Italy or UK won't gonna back down from any pressures from India. ( Indians simply doesn't have that much leverage on those countries, except maybe France? )

So if BAF really wants meteor i am gonna say, they can get it.
And our 'policy makers' unlikely to mess it up even if they are under 'pressure' from their 'big daddy'.
Otherwise, we would've already bought Tejas and other Indian weapons. ( specially given how much India pressured government to purchase significant Indian stuff under that infamous $500 million dollars line of credit )
@Isa Khan

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I think we can safely assume Rafale is out of the equation
I believe the EFT is of the equation. The rafale seems more likely. I don't think we can afford EFT.
Look at the Indonesian deal for Rafales ~ 189million/unit closer to our 186million/unit. Hopefully we find out who is right soon.
And given we didn't signed whatever agreement with USA to get high end stuff, we are not getting AIM-120 (with Eurofighter) anyway.
Those will be signed in due time.
However, considering long term strategic pros and cons I will still insist on Eurofighter.
We will have to replace our F-7s and we can't afford an all western fighter fleet.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,394
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
The procurment of fighter jets for Bangladesh will lay the foundation of how the Bangladeshi Air force will operate, and procure in the Future. I hope it will be more western aligned, then eastern. The chinese could probably offer cheaper deals, but the main principle should be the quality. Politics, and foreign policy will have a great mark in the strategic decision that Bangladesh will make.

China is also a ally of Myanamar, your rival in the region. Perhaps Bangladesh can acquire the light-attack hurjet variant which is pretty cheap, while filling the rest of gaps with turkish drones such as Kizilelma for air to air engagement.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,315
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I believe the EFT is of the equation. The rafale seems more likely. I don't think we can afford EFT.
Look at the Indonesian deal for Rafales ~ 189million/unit closer to our 186million/unit. Hopefully we find out who is right soon.
Bruh, Don't worry about the cost.
Eurofighter isn't that much expensive compared to Rafale.
It all depend, negotiations, context, strategic ties etc. Check out Qatari deal with France and uk for 24 rafale and eurofighter each.
Eurofighter was slightly less expensive.

Or for example egypt in talk with Italy to buy 24 eurofighter for $3billion.

I still think rafale has very little chance. And the fighter already has been chosen probably as @Isa Khan pointed out previously.

Those will be signed in due time.
Under current political climate I doubt that.
We will have to replace our F-7s and we can't afford an all western fighter fleets
That is a legitimate concerns. But let's see what happens with MRCA first.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,315
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The procurment of fighter jets for Bangladesh will lay the foundation of how the Bangladeshi Air force will operate, and procure in the Future. I hope it will be more western aligned, then eastern. The chinese could probably offer cheaper deals, but the main principle should be the quality. Politics, and foreign policy will have a great mark in the strategic decision that Bangladesh will make.
I Agree.
China is also a ally of Myanamar, your rival in the region.
true.
Perhaps Bangladesh can acquire the light-attack hurjet variant which is pretty cheap, while filling the rest of gaps with turkish drones such as Kizilelma for air to air engagement.
If our own primary trainer and drone programs are successfully realized in the next few years, I believe our next logical step would to Start developing an advanced trainer and jet power drone ( like UAE doing with jeniah) in house.
For now it may sound overly ambitious, but nevertheless possible if the right initiatives are taken from now on.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,394
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
I Agree.

true.

If our own primary trainer and drone programs are successfully realized in the next few years, I believe our next logical step would to Start developing an advanced trainer and jet power drone ( like UAE doing with jeniah) in house.
For now it may sound overly ambitious, but nevertheless possible if the right initiatives are taken from now on.

I'm not aware of your trainer, and drone program. Do you have any pictures or some more information regarding the 2 projects? Such projects would indeed take a good amount of time until it matures. In the meantime, Bangladesh could go for Hurjet and kizilelma. I'm referring to post-2035 btw, as TFX could be an ideal procurement for Bangladesh in the future.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom