Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,817
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen has said striking a balance in relations with the US and China is challenging, but the rivalry between the two superpowers is not Bangladesh’s headache.

“It’s challenging, but we don’t create problems for others. They may have problems but it is their headache. We just want to maintain a good relationship with them,” he said on Tuesday, speaking to journalists at the ministry.

Newly appointed Chinese Foreign Minister Qin Gang met Momen during a stopover in Dhaka on his way to Africa in the wee hours of Tuesday.

They spoke “highly of the friendship between China and Bangladesh, and agreed to strengthen exchanges in the new year and jointly work for new progress in bilateral relations”, the Chinese Embassy in Dhaka said in a statement.

The meeting came amid a visit by Rear Admiral Eileen Laubacher, the US National Security Council's senior director for South Asia. Donald Lu, the US assistant secretary of state for the Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs, is also due in Dhaka on Jan 14.

“It’s good news that we are getting attention,” said Momen, adding that it was a recognition of Bangladesh’s achievements and balanced foreign policy.

“Many countries do not want to miss trade opportunities as Bangladesh has been recognised as the 35th largest economy in the world,” the foreign minister remarked.

Chakib.Y

Reactions
3 246
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
All countries should seek and defend their own interests, not others, describing America and China as a scourge would be an understatement but what America is demanding is other people to go fight its own war (and die) to preserve its hegemony which is so outrageous it's hilarious lol. Good on Bangladesh, more should tread the path its walking.

Last edited:

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,178
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
All countries should seek and defend their own interests, not others, describing America and China as a scourge would be an understatement but what America is demanding is other people to go fight and die its own war to preserve its hegemony which is so outrageous it's hilarious lol. Good on Bangladesh, more should tread the path its walking.

"To be an enemy of the US is dangerous, but to be a friend is fatal." from Henry Kissinger 🙃

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,293
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Congratulations Bangladesh and other many countries that has the luxury to do so.
Indonesia has more luxury for that.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,296
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Indonesia has more luxury for that.
No, we need US military around to avoid China doing crazy shit. Off course not as dependent as maybe the South Vietnamese or Afghanistan but the need is there.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,293
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
No, we need US military around to avoid China doing crazy shit. Off course not as dependent as maybe the South Vietnamese or Afghanistan but the need is there.
I thought, there is no official EEZ dispute between CHINA and INDONESIA.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,296
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I thought, there is no official EEZ dispute between CHINA and INDONESIA.
There is, even there isn't China is still a threat. We need to be pragmatic. Southeast Asia is Like central Europe of the cold war.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,293
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
There is, even there isn't China is still a threat. We need to be pragmatic. Southeast Asia is Like central Europe of the cold war.
No, offense. Is this the perception of Indonesian policy makers or your personal opinion?
just asking, dont have a clue about it.

Mehmed Ali

Contributor
Reactions
1 905
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Obviously Indonesia has problems with China as all other surrounding countries do. It is nice to act independently, the only problem here is the fact that in practical terms the situation is very different.
Also it seems to me that China is beloved by the si called Muslim world , it can put 15 millions Uygurs into slavery but as long as it is not " imperialistic" then it is ok.

Chakib.Y

Reactions
3 246
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
Obviously Indonesia has problems with China as all other surrounding countries do. It is nice to act independently, the only problem here is the fact that in practical terms the situation is very different.
Also it seems to me that China is beloved by the si called Muslim world , it can put 15 millions Uygurs into slavery but as long as it is not " imperialistic" then it is ok.
Not really we're just not that eager to die for other people's causes (and preserve their monopoly on oppression), we'd rather do that for our own.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,296
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
No, offense. Is this the perception of Indonesian policy makers or your personal opinion?
just asking, dont have a clue about it.
I believe this is the perception not only me but Indonesian elite from time to time.

China while never named (we simply call them the threat from the north) are mentioned in Indonesian military threat assessment as early as 1980. Recent Indonesian military exercise mentioned a country called "Sonora" equipped with many familiar Chinese equipment (KJ-2000 AWACS, Xian H-6 etc)… unfortunately the tweet that posted that leak has now been banned (Iirc its @abe_accord). Not to mention Indonesia increasingly complex exercise and posturing which suggest that were more or less US alligned country even though we never openly tell others.

I mean just look at this.

the original Garuda shield is actually just a 🇺🇸🇮🇩army-army exercise but someone in the higher up modify it to not only include Japan, Singapore, Australia. But also include air force and navy not only ours, but Americans and Singaporeans as well.

You might be thinking that this is the usual "anti terrorism" exercise. but no, the threat scenario as well as complexity (airstrip seizure, live HIMARS/Astros firing, amphib landings) and the equipment involved point to a country-country fight. I mean Japan is here

Japanese paratroops landed for the first time in Sumatra since WW2. 80 years in between
420px-IJA_Paratroopers_Teishin_Shudan_in_Palembang_Feb_1942.png

dvqfqgssmpf91.jpg

So this is not just me doing wishful thinking.

More on this you can see here

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,178
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

What forces does Indonesia (other than China) have to compete or fight against to protect its own interests? I'm asking because I don't know much thing about the area my apologies.Does this tweet reflect reelpolitik realities? (If it is inappropriate to put such tweet in such a topic, I can delete it.)

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,296
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

What forces does Indonesia (other than China) have to compete or fight against to protect its own interests? I'm asking because I don't know much thing about the area my apologies.Does this tweet reflect reelpolitik realities? (If it is inappropriate to put such tweet in such a topic, I can delete it.)

Ignore the Indonesian-Malaysian-Singaporean netizen shit talk. the 3 countries are actually quite close. Recently we even let Singapore to do exercise in our Natuna waters.

President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) officially issued Law Number 3 of 2023 concerning the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Indonesia and the Government of the Republic of Singapore regarding Defense Cooperation, on (3/1). One of the points in the law is allowing Singapore to hold military exercises in the Natuna Sea and other areas in the Riau Islands.​

Most incident are mostly involving small ships and doesn't escalate much further than that

The next most serious threat after China is Australia and maybe Vietnam. In case of Vietnam we recently sign an agreement on EEZ delimitations, so all is good now.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,293
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
@Gary i am curious how Indonesian policy makers as well as general public view BD.
And what they make of Rohinga crisis.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,296
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
@Gary i am curious how Indonesian policy makers as well as general public view BD.
And what they make of Rohinga crisis.

Diverse off course. Geography and demography will affect this. People in Eastern Indonesia which are not Muslim dominated will have different attitude on certain issues than maybe the Western half Muslim dominated area. Even in Muslim dominated Western half there's differing stand on the Rohingya. One views it as economic burden , the other will happily help out of sympathy and religion.

The Civil Society Coalition consisting of the Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (KontraS), KontraS Aceh, Perkumpulan SUAKA, Amnesty International Indonesia, the Geutanyoe Foundation, and the Sandya Institute urge various related parties such as the Central Government and the Government of Aceh to immediately provide adequate protection. the best possible for the Rohingya refugees anchored in various areas in Aceh.​

"So the problem is actually not us directing the ship to Indonesia. But another government,” said Chris.​
This is because no country in the region except Indonesia has allowed Rohingya refugees to get off the ship.​
“So in my opinion, it is very clear why the Rohingya have landed in Indonesia, because no other country wants to accept them. Not Malaysia, not Thailand, not India."​

Bangladesh emm, we do trade but no as much and our military doesn't really gear up for a potential conflict in the bay of Bengal. In general, and I don't mean to be rude, but I think Bangladesh doesn't appear much in Indonesian radar.

In 2021, Bangladesh became Indonesia's 15th export destination. Meanwhile, Indonesia ranks 62 for Bangladesh as the country of origin of imports. In 2021, the total trade between the two countries reached USD 3 billion with Indonesia's export value being recorded at USD 2.9 billion while Indonesia's imports from Bangladesh are recorded at USD 0.1 billion. Thus, Indonesia's trade balance has a surplus of USD 2.8 billion against Bangladesh. (LM)​

Is Bangladesh-Indonesia trade about to rise in the coming decade ? Indonesia is planning to develop its gas field to cater the growing needs. We are to export gas to Viet Nam and maybe our gas could help lift Bangladesh hunger for gas.

We know European haul of the world gas due to Ukraine has put Bangladesh in a difficult position

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,293
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Bangladesh emm, we do trade but no as much and our military doesn't really gear up for a potential conflict in the bay of Bengal.
Ok, this is kind of weird. Why on earth our militaries would gear up for conflict in the bay of Bengal?
That thought never crossed my mind before you brought it up.
Our perception of Indonesia is friendly. Hope, our bilateral trade will grow as our economies grows.

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,178
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ignore the Indonesian-Malaysian-Singaporean netizen shit talk. the 3 countries are actually quite close. Recently we even let Singapore to do exercise in our Natuna waters.

President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) officially issued Law Number 3 of 2023 concerning the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Indonesia and the Government of the Republic of Singapore regarding Defense Cooperation, on (3/1). One of the points in the law is allowing Singapore to hold military exercises in the Natuna Sea and other areas in the Riau Islands.​

Most incident are mostly involving small ships and doesn't escalate much further than that

The next most serious threat after China is Australia and maybe Vietnam. In case of Vietnam we recently sign an agreement on EEZ delimitations, so all is good now.
In other words, can we say that Indonesia needs to maintain a certain balance in military cooperation with America because of Australia.And can Indonesia compete Australia more independently by improving it's military cooperation with Turkey in medium term? What do you think about that?

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,296
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Ok, this is kind of weird. Why on earth our militaries would gear up for conflict in the bay of Bengal?
That thought never crossed my mind before you brought it up.
Our perception of Indonesia is friendly. Hope our bilateral trade will grow as our economies grows.

Ok bad choice of word from me. You know the military is built based on the purpose of the country leadership and geopolitics. In Indonesia's case geopolitics obliged the Indonesian military to be readied for conflicts with for example China in the South China sea or maybe minor standoff with Malaysia/Singapore in the Malacca strait.

What I'm trying to say is, unlike Natuna which is near Viet Nam, Philippines, Taiwan and China. We don't really have much geopolitical interest in the bay of Bengal that compel us to built up our military certain way in that part of the world. The last time the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean in general has some meaning for us is in 1965 when we are to attack the Andaman in support of the then East Pakistan.

Recently one of Indonesian brightest chief of staff, the one who is responsible for the uptick of military exercise with the US (Super Garuda shield, CARAT etc). The US educated Gen (retd) Andhika Perkasa said this. So should there be more exercise ? Just maybe

In other words, can we say that Indonesia needs to maintain a certain balance in military cooperation with America because of Australia.And can Indonesia compete Australia more independently by improving it's military cooperation with Turkey in medium term? What do you think about that?
We improve our military by exploiting our own defense industries and imported what we can't produce locally from the US, France and Turkey.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,293
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Ok bad choice of word from me.
Ok, i understand.
meaning for us is in 1965 when we are to attack the Andaman in support of the then East Pakistan.
What? why would you attack Andaman in support of Bangladesh?
It Does not make sense. you probably meant West Pakistan.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom