Casual Discussion benefits of diaspora

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
i stumbled on this tweet and it got me wondered how your respective nation could benefit from such people, could be there some organized effort to bring them back in certain way to your country, this kind of human resource is real wealth and west know that very well. is there some attempt to reverse this brain drainage or what should be priority to slow it down at least. goverement is not obvious answer, could some ngo networking be solution? Aslo, you everybody could widen the topic about diaspora in any direction desired, this is just one example.

@Kaptaan @Yankeestani

Costin84

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Romania
They should return and do what in Pakistan? To be told that a woman must obey her man? I know that I'm probably exagerating but people like the respected lady are a product of their own intellect but in the same time also of the system they grew up,got educated and work in.
Nevermind the fact that the diaspora and their remittances are a pillar of the Pakistani economy.

Mis_TR_Like

Contributor
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 5,007
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
I'm going to go off topic a bit. While there are benefits of having a large diaspora, we need to remember what happened with the Armenians. Despite their large, wealthy and influential diaspora, they could not put a dent in the outcome of the war.

Diaspora is important, but it's quite overrated. The Armenians vastly overestimated their power, on the field, but also the limits of what their diaspora can achieve.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
They should return and do what in Pakistan? To be told that a woman must obey her man? I know that I'm probably exagerating but people like the respected lady are a product of their own intellect but in the same time also of the system they grew up,got educated and work in.
Nevermind the fact that the diaspora and their remittances are a pillar of the Pakistani economy.
you know that return does not mean always physical return? and your intro sentence is more then exageration it is pure bias towards pakistani society, anyway there is sentiment and connection of any diaspora beside financial remitences and topic is meant to be directed in solutions which will guide towards activities were society will benefit beside net money gain.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I'm going to go off topic a bit. While there are benefits of having a large diaspora, we need to remember what happened with the Armenians. Despite their large, wealthy and influential diaspora, they could not put a dent in the outcome of the war.

Diaspora is important, but it's quite overrated. The Armenians vastly overestimated their power, on the field, but also the limits of what their diaspora can achieve.
that is important notice but i think it is not comparable with larger nations, armenia diaspora if i am correct is 3-4 times larger then domestic population of armenia, it is unique example. pakistan and turkey for example are not hinged by that, i know that turkey started some programs for returning of scientests from abroad, do not know how it goes precisely but that is not bad start and i think it is good direction. there is one guy in usa who built multibillion empire with ayran/yoghurt beverage, he is kurd, do not know if he is patriotic or what, but thing is if he is patriotic what turkey can offer him to reinvest some of his wealth beside patriotic sentiment?

Last edited:

Costin84

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Romania
you know that return does not mean always physical return? and your intro sentence is more then exageration it is pure bias towards pakistani society, anyway there is sentiment and connection of any diaspora beside financial remitences and topic is meant to be directed in solutions which will guide towards activities were society will benefit beside net money gain.
Is it now? Remember the Atif Mian scandal...

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Is it now? Remember the Atif Mian scandal...
you can walk away with stupid examples from 200 millions people society, topic is not intended for bashing and counter bashing, i can go search on internet and dig up some shit from romania too, so if you are not able to add some constructive to the thread feel free to ignore.
that one is indeed sad incident but it does not mean that efforts should not be continued.

Costin84

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Romania
you can walk away with stupid examples from 200 millions people society, topic is not intended for bashing and counter bashing, i can go search on internet and dig up some shit from romania too, so if you are not able to add some constructive to the thread feel free to ignore.
We are talking about highly educated intellectuals returning to help the mother country only to be subjected to humiliation and rebuffed due to the aforementioned country's archaic beliefs.This is not a random example but THE example.
The guy was hounded and fired just because of his religious beliefs despite him being a top educated economist.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
We are talking about highly educated intellectuals returning to help the mother country only to be subjected to humiliation and rebuffed due to the aforementioned country's archaic beliefs.This is not a random example but THE example.
sad example and as i said in edited reply, it does not mean that efforts should be stopped.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,010
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
that is important notice but i think it is not comparable with larger nations, armenia diaspora if i am correct is 3-4 times larger then domestic population of armenia, it is unique example. pakistan and turkey for example are not hinged by that, i know that turkey started some programs for returning of scientests from abroad, do not know how it goes precisely but that is not bad start and i think it is good direction. there is one guy in usa who built multibillion empire with ayran/yoghurt beverage, he is kurd, do not know if he is patriotic or what, but thing is if he is patriotic what turkey can offer him to reinvest some of his wealth beside patriotic sentiment?

Chobani prick is against Turkey he also works with soros.

Remember this he marketed his products as Greek yogurt rather than Turkish yogurt.

Afterall his a Kurd.

Melkor

Reactions
1 243
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Chobani prick is against Turkey he also works with soros.

Remember this he marketed his products as Greek yogurt rather than Turkish yogurt.

Afterall his a Kurd.
Hamdi makes crap yogurt. I’m glad it’s called Greek.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
i stumbled on this tweet and it got me wondered how your respective nation could benefit from such people, could be there some organized effort to bring them back in certain way to your country, this kind of human resource is real wealth and west know that very well. is there some attempt to reverse this brain drainage or what should be priority to slow it down at least. goverement is not obvious answer, could some ngo networking be solution? Aslo, you everybody could widen the topic about diaspora in any direction desired, this is just one example.

@Kaptaan @Yankeestani

Yes, it is well known fact that diaspora can help to lift countries. The Chinese diaspora has played critical role in the rise of China and now we see the same thing happening with Indian diaspora. Across USA and Western Europe particularly UK there are vast numbers of Pakistan professionals or
entrepreneurs who could be of enormous benefit to Pakistan. For a fact every year the country loses some of the brightest minds who go abroad to do their masters or Phds but never come back. Many doctors end up in USA and UK. The underlying problem is pay in USA and UK is far higher then in Pakistan. A Pakistan American doctor easily will make over $250,000 a year and he is not going to come and practice in Islamabad for paltry $25,000.

Also besides the pay working conditions, culture also are not conductive. However I don't want to dwell on the negatives because things are looking for the better. The Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan has active has said on record that the Pakistani diaspora has huge potential to help Pakistan. In fact his government has actively been trying to cultivate the diaspora and he actually has a British-Pakistani running the newly established government agency specifically tasked to attract diaspora talent and investments.

1613390342030.png
This is Zulfi Bukhari the minister of Overseas Pakistanis. He is from London where he has property investment company with a great investment record. He brings vital skills and connections and is able to bridge both cultures. His primary job is to scout and bring investment or talent from the Pakistani diaspora.

When I said "bridge the cultures" he sometimes himself can get come under attention. This is funny clip at a Pakistan tourism industry convention. PM Imran Khan takes a dig at Zulfi being dressed as if he is representing French Riviera Tourist Board.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Glad to hear that things are moving from dead point, what you told is also important that cultural bridge to be cultivated without complexes and common jealousy which is particular problem of native population towards diaspora, that brings lot of misunderstanding.
It seems Imran is really clever guy and good leader, hope he will have at least decade on his disposal to make some profound impact in Pakistan.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
They should return and do what in Pakistan? To be told that a woman must obey her man? I know that I'm probably exagerating but people like the respected lady are a product of their own intellect but in the same time also of the system they grew up,got educated and work in
Honestly, I am always surprised at the extreme blinkered view that has taken hold across the world about Pakistan. Pakistan is a country of extreme contrasts. Millions on the borderlands live in middle ages but millions on the other side of the spectrum live like any modern citizen does and this includes women. Lest it be forgotten the first female Prime Minister of a Muslim country was Benezir Bhutto who got elected way back in 1989. The country has female pilots, judges, ministers, soldiers, police officers, taxi drivers and the universities are awash with girls. Pakistan is not Saudia Arabia. There is no law requiring head covering. Divorce is legal. Yes you can find crazy cases but that is not the only story. Pakistan really is a country of contrasts. There is a 10% elite who live life like as if they are in London. The biggest divide in Pakistan is wealth. Not gender. Recently there was uproar on social media when two middle class ladies who are owners of a Cannoli cafe in Islamabad abused and made fun of their manager for not being able to speak English properly. Power often is function of wealth and not quite the way you describe i which takes a very simple crude view of complex country.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Well noted. Armenia is a exception as you note the country could be described as the diaspora and the diaspora who live across the world as the "country". This is a exception and probably only applies to few other countries like Israel or Ireland.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom