Britain has lost its strategic depth.

RogerRanger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Britain became a major power because its had strategic depth, by controlling the waters around Britain and Ireland. It meant no Europe power could threaten Britain directly, allowing Britain to build up its forces and project them to other parts of Europe and the world.

Three things happened which Britain hasn't strategically recovered from. First was in its attempts to full integrate Ireland into the British economy, the Ulster-Scottish felt betrayed and rebelled against that perceived betrayal, then there was an out break of war in Europe, so Britain has to redirect its forces away from Ireland toward the Empire, Ireland in that period then gained independence. So Britain had lost one of it key strategic positions. Second the German air force and navy bypass the English channel and defeated the Royal Navy in the North sea, all Britain's strategic depth was gone. And the British never really attempted to get it back. Rather directly involving ourselves in the American alliance and the EU, we didn't need to worry about strategic depth.

However now we have left the EU and the Americans are pulling back from the world, Britain has nothing it needs to be a strong power or regain its strategic depth.

So we have seen the British lose the Cod wars to Iceland, have to deal with IRA bombing campaigns in Britain, have to tag along with the US on every war and change our legal system to join the EU. In all this the British never attempted to upset the current world order and reinforce their strategic position, legal system, economic independence, military independence or regain control of Ireland.

Right now Britain is at its weakest point since the Dutch were stealing our flag ships in the 1660's. With the French applying pressure with fishing boats and migrants in the channel, the Irish trying to realign themselves economically away from Britain. And the British don't have a navy capable of doing anything about it, don't have an economy able to live without the imports from around the world and a political class which is disappointing and internally at war.

Last edited:

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,956
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Britain became a major power because its had strategic depth, by controlling the waters around Britain and Ireland. It meant no Europe power could threaten Britain directly, allowing Britain to build up its forces and project them to other parts of Europe and the world.

Three things happened which Britain hasn't strategically recovered from. First was in its attempts to full integrate Ireland into the British economy, the Ulster-Scottish felt betrayed and rebelled against that perceived betrayal, then there was an out break of war in Europe, so Britain has to redirect its forces away from Ireland toward the Empire, Ireland in that period then gained independence. So Britain had lost one of it key strategic positions. Second the German air force and navy bypass the English channel and defeated the Royal Navy in the North sea, all Britain's strategic depth was gone. And the British never really attempted to get it back. Rather directly involving ourselves in the American alliance and the EU, we didn't need to worry about strategic depth.

However now we have left the EU and the Americans are pulling back from the world, Britain has nothing it needs to be a strong power or regain its strategic depth.

So we have seen the British lose the Cod wars to Iceland, have to deal with IRA bombing campaigns in Britain, have to tag along with the US on every way and change our legal system to join the EU. In all this the British never attempted to upset the current world order and reinforce their strategic position, legal system, economic independence, military independence or regain control of Ireland.

Right now Britain is at its weakest point since the Dutch were stealing our flag ships in the 1660's. With the French allying pressure with fishing boats and migrants in the channel, the Irish trying to realign themselves economically away from Britain. And the British don't have a navy capable of doing anything about it, don't have an economy able to live without the imports from around the world and a political class which is disappointing and internally at war.

England still has plenty of strategic depth, you have the common wealth. You have bases across the world and english became the world language. Not to mention that your geography still gives you advantages that other euro powers dont have.

Not to mention that the city London is still the worlds financial centre.

Also worth pointing out that your neighbourhood is peaceful compared to say Turkeys.

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,956
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
How the hell did Britain lose to Iceland when a bunch of Ottoman pirates raided and occupied Iceland.

That iceland go so butthurt they dedicated a folk song to this event.

Britain could have easily just sent some missiles to blow iceland apart. What made Britain lose or give up? I just figure it out.

I think Iceland threatened to pull out of the NATO alliance or something like that. As a result the americans pressured the British to bend the knee as far as i know they always do when the americans come knocking.

A similar thing happened in Egypt with British/French invasion, the americans came out and told the british to leave in which they did.

One thing i realise about the British is that they are risk adverse. They rarely even at the height of the British empire go to war alone. If they have to go to war they usually went as a coalition to hedge the risk.

RogerRanger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
England still has plenty of strategic depth, you have the common wealth. You have bases across the world and english became the world language. Not to mention that your geography still gives you advantages that other euro powers dont have.

Not to mention that the city London is still the worlds financial centre.

Also worth pointing out that your neighbourhood is peaceful compared to say Turkeys.
The commonwealth is just a meeting of different politicians, it doesn't exist in geo-political terms. There is CANZUK, but that is dependent on a navy to enforce it and protect trade. Which Britain doesn't have.

London was the world financial center, when we had a massive Empire, a powerful navy and strategic security because of that. Then because we joined the EU we became the link in and our of the EU and North America. Without the strategic depth and security, London is not different from anywhere else.

The French aren't going to be peaceful for very long, they are already trying things. Compared to Turkey it is peaceful. However compared to Britain at the height of the Empire it isn't.

RogerRanger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
How the hell did Britain lose to Iceland when a bunch of Ottoman pirates raided and occupied Iceland.

That iceland got so butthurt they dedicated a folk song to this event.

Britain could have easily just sent some missiles to blow iceland apart. What made Britain lose or give up? I just cant figure it out.
We gave up, the operation started costing more than we were getting from the Fishing boats. So we scrapped it, retreat. Then Iceland was like okay we can push them again, and each time we back down. The British like to blame the Americans, when its our own fault.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think Iceland threatened to pull out of the NATO alliance or something like that. As a result the americans pressured the British to bend the knee as far as i know they always do when the americans come knocking.

A similar thing happened in Egypt with British/French invasion, the americans came out and told the british to leave in which they did.

One thing i realise about the British is that they are risk adverse. They rarely even at the height of the British empire go to war alone. If they have to go to war they usually went as a coalition to hedge the risk.

Americans always putting their nose up in everything.

Icelanders constantly talk shit as if anybody cares about their shitty irrelevant island.

I remember in football when icelanders faced Turkey. When icelanders won they celebrated as if they won something big they even called it revenge due to the raids.

A lot of Turks were confused lmaooo wondering what the hell their problem was against us.

Cod Wars is giving iceland to brag. Small man syndrome.

RogerRanger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom

The Suez thing was a totally mess, as WW2 was a totally mess. The British just gave up after that. Hahaha. Also we would go to war alone, if it was a navy war. We left the land-fighting to other powers. And then the Americans did the same to us. Allow us to fight WW1 and WW2, then coming in with small forces.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
We gave up, the operation started costing more than we were getting from the Fishing boats. So we scrapped it, retreat. Then Iceland was like okay we can push them again, and each time we back down. The British like to blame the Americans, when its our own fault.

That shit is shameful. Britain could have easily push iceland aside.

I find the cod wars to be britains dumbest defeat.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some people talk about Singapore or Suez, I talk about the Cod wars. Its just humiliating.

All did Britain had to do was good old gun boat diplomacy and a few missiles and the icelanders would have gotten so butthurt about it they would have made a song like this 🤣

This post does not support slavery or raids.

RogerRanger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
All did Britain had to do was good old gun boat diplomacy and a few missiles and the icelanders would have gotten so butthurt about it they would have made a song like this 🤣

These dude were literally Viking settlers. What they complaining about?

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
These dude were literally Viking settlers. What they complaining about?

Indeed thats what makes it hilarious.

What makes it even more funny the raid was led by a Dutch guy.

Ottomans did not even took part as the Barbary pirates had their own ships.

Icelandic folk song is called Tyrkjaranid which I think it means Turkish invasion.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some people talk about Singapore or Suez, I talk about the Cod wars. Its just humiliating.

Britain had everything even if the Americans put their noses in the cod wars.

Britain could have easily made iceland yield.

Ever since the end of ww2. Britain has retreated geopolitically apart from the Falklands.

In 1997 they handed over hong kong. I say that was a big mistake in handing it back.

Hong kong was the pearl of the British far east.

RogerRanger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Britain had everything even if the Americans put their noses in the cod wars.

Britain could have easily made iceland yield.

Ever since the end of ww2. Britain has retreated geopolitically apart from the Falklands.

In 1997 they handed over hong kong. I say that was a big mistake in handing it back.

Hong kong was the pearl of the British far east.
I don't even know why we did the Falklands war, to be honest. I guess it was the only time we were directly attacked/invaded by a foreign state. However anything short of that, we just do nothing and allow it to happen. Even the Falklands war happened because we were cutting military spending and the navy. So we just barely won it.

The other thing is, everybody in Britain is like 'what the hell' why are we retreating from everything and just giving up without a fight.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't even know why we did the Falklands war, to be honest. I guess it was the only time we were directly attacked/invaded by a foreign state. However anything short of that, we just do nothing and allow it to happen. Even the Falklands war happened because we were cutting military spending and the navy. So we just barely won it.

The other thing is, everybody in Britain is like 'what the hell' why are we retreating from everything and just giving up without a fight.

Is it war weariness or just exhaustion?

There could be lots of factors lets not forget cowardly politcians.

RogerRanger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Is it war weariness or just exhaustion?

There could be lots of factors lets not forget cowardly politcians.
I think its institutional shock and total loss of confidence. Basically we have been defeated and manipulated so much by the Americans, by the EU, that its basically just okay whatever you want at this point. The British people are like no screw that we are still a major power and won't accept this. But the political realities are what they are.

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,956
Nation of residence
United Kingdom

Scandinavian peoples are proud of their "Viking" history, but when you mention that they were taken as slaves by Ottoman raiders they get all butthurt lol. A bit like the greeks proud of their own imperialism, but scream to devil about Turkish imperial history.

They will point fingers at the evils of the Turks, while at the same time celebrate their own ruthless and brutal history. Last people to cry about being turned into slaves should be the descendants of the vikings.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Scandinavian peoples are proud of their "Viking" history, but when you mention that they were taken as slaves by Ottoman raiders they get all butthurt lol. A bit like the greeks proud of their own imperialism, but scream to devil about Turkish imperial history.

They will point fingers at the evils of the Turks, while at the same time celebrate their own ruthless and brutal history. Last people to cry about being turned into slaves should be the descendants of the vikings.

Out of all the people I argued.

I found Greeks to be the most hypocritical when it comes to imperialism, empires along with the issue of hellenisation.

British, Germans, Arabs you name it seem to be all upfront about it. There are occasions of butthurt but its all good. Look at RogerRanger we all get a long.

With Greeks not only are they so proud they constantly cry and complain.

If you have a problem with Turkification or even Islamisation done by the Turks why do you Greeks feel so proud about hellenisation and Alexander's conquests along with hellenisation of certain regions like Anatolia. Greeks also played a big role in Christanising Greece and the Middle East.

I got so many replies about how we can do it because we are civilised and we are Greek unlike the Turks.

They are proud about Alexander burning of persepolis then get butthurt about the Turks and Crusaders taking over their cities or burning some down.

Greeks alot of them justify the burning of Turkish cities and villages because of their victimhood mentality.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,949
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Greeks generally have a baby mindset, they need a daddy to take care of them.

They even blame Britain for their defeat in Anatolia.

British warned the Greeks a lot of times that getting more further leaves them vulernable to counterattack by Turkish nationalist forces that even we cant save you.

Greeks have forgotten that Ataturk was trained with German stormtrooper tactics. Greeks had their supply lines scretched too far.

Greeks have their mindset of entitlement that other nations have to fight for them.

Geopolitics does not work like that. There is no such thing as entitlement.

Look at all the empires or even kingdoma they had to take it with whatever means necessary. Its just how things worked back in the day.

Its interesting to see how Britain has been retreating since the end of ww2.

What I find so surprising is how Britain gave Hong Kong back to China. I find this a geopolitical blunder. Cod wars were just a dumb defeat it just does not make sense.

Imagine a country like Turkey giving shit up for Cyprus or imagine Italy giving up against Malta. Cannot imagine that happening.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom