Germany German Politics

L

LegionnairE

I figured such a thread should exist, where we could discuss the politics of Germany.

I'll start with posting some news and perhaps @what could give us a general rundown of German political parties, important politicians, etc.

I know that Ursula von der Leyen was the defence minister for a while and the current defense minister is Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer. I think she wants to buy F-18s I don't know anything else about her.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,824
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

RogerRanger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,042
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
AfD -> right wing, America style batshit crazy right wing. Denying climate change etc.
CDU / CSU -> central right to all our right wing nowadays.
FDP -> the so called liberal party, but pretty much a lobbiest group
SPD -> center-left, good candidate right now with Scholz, for the first time in two decades with a shot at governing
Grüne -> the green party, left-wing but also has people such as Kretschmann that are pretty much CDU like but Green. They have realos who are like Kretschmann and voteable and the so called idealos that are what English people would call woke people.
die Linke -> left wing, from social democrats to actual communists.

Next chancellor will be either Laschet (CDU/CSU), Scholz (SPD) or Baerbock (Green party). Neither of them will have more than 30% of the votes and a coalition of at least 2 but most likely 3 parties seems likely. SPD is leading with 3 more weeks to go.

Bild is pretty much the CDU's mouth piece. But its not a newspaper, its a tabloid. Yellow press.
Everything owned by Springer is pretty much the same, i.e. Welt too. Axel Springer is the biggest German media company and the heir of Springer Inge Springer celebrates her birthdays with Merkel.

Handelsblatt is good for finance and economy, they also have an English edition.
Spiegel is a magazine, also does english reporting and is I would say centralist.
Focus is like Spiegel, but worse and right leaning, more Bild style.
FAZ is in the middle
Zeit, Süddeutsche are left leaning.
taz is leftist.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,042
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Compared to Turkey, even our so-called left wing parties (i.e. CHP) would be considered at least as much right wing as the CDU.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,824
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Huelague
What can you tell us about German media. I've heard that Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung is left wing and Bild is rather right leaning. What other news sources are there that we should pay attention?

I expect some informative posts from you guys
I can tell you everything!
Their is no better German expert than me. No kidding.

There is around dozen German media groups in Germany. Most are left leaning. Some are far left and view right. Which we should pay attention? The ones who writes or talk about us most. „Die Welt“ is maybe the most anti Turkish newspaper right now in Germany. They belongs to “Axel Springer” group. In the past they were shareholders of DoganTV group.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,824
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
These organizations are related to different parties and they are collecting informations about our country and people.

Their is a reason why Putin label them as intelligence organizations.

It is not like in “James Bond” movies. These are the easiest way to collect and evaluate informations. Of course, cyber attacks is also a way. But much harder to gain.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,824
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Interesting, I've heard some things about their harmful operations in Turkey but I am not very knowledgable. Apart from collecting intelligence, what other activities do they engage in? How do they cover their tracks?

And what are their activities in Germany? how do they effect politics?

Since they get most of their money from the government, I imagine that they probably engage in lobbying for more grants, trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.
Look how many executives sitting in our media groups and vice versa. How many German institutions we have in Turkey? Schools and Universities for example.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,824
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
They are highly connected with our military (TSK), which still has a huge effect on our country. From warheads, to rifles, over cannons to many subsystems, which only less knows. Many ToT are made by Germany. Not to mention the cooperation between opposition parties like HDP, which is tight connected with lefty party like ‘Die Linke’.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,042
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Interesting, I've heard some things about their harmful operations in Turkey but I am not very knowledgable. Apart from collecting intelligence, what other activities do they engage in? How do they cover their tracks?

And what are their activities in Germany? how do they effect politics?

Since they get most of their money from the government, I imagine that they probably engage in lobbying for more grants, trying to get a bigger piece of the pie.

NGOs are not intelligence gathering organizations. That was totally pulled out of his ass.

Yes they do work in the interest of Germany, but they also do lots of good deads in the end in the country.

You cant just put all NGOs there is in the same bucket and just accept that because it fits your POV. @Huelague

F-6 enthusiast

Reactions
1 595
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I can tell you everything!
Their is no better German expert than me. No kidding.

There is around dozen German media groups in Germany. Most are left leaning. Some are far left and view right. Which we should pay attention? The ones who writes or talk about us most. „Die Welt“ is maybe the most anti Turkish newspaper right now in Germany. They belongs to “Axel Springer” group. In the past they were shareholders of DoganTV group.
What are the Bargaining powers of Labour Unions in Germany ? I heard that Factory workers get 40 % seats (by means of representatives) in board meetings. There is this perception that Germany has the most labour-friendly laws in europe is it true ?

SPD is leading with 3 more weeks to go.
hope they win. too many right wing parties in power in Europe rn

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,042
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
How influential are Grüne and the AfD? I'm guessing we can't just ignore them.

What platform are CDU and SPD running on? What do they disagree on the most? What are the main issues? Also what are their stances towards Turkey?

Grüne were doing good, were clearly leading in the polls a couple weeks ago and are now most likely the Kingmaker for either the CDU or SPD. You cant ignore them, they have been influential in the Germany since the 80s and will only grow in influence, quite popular with the younger generations.

AfD is pretty much isolated and no one is doing anything with them. Cooperating with them is political suicide.

I would say that 70% of the election promises are basically the same for all three big parties.

CDU is simply more corporate friendly, SPD and Grüne are more on the side of the workers.

CDU wants to keep coal energy for a couple years longer, Green party shut them down fast.

SPD wants 12€ minimum wage, CDU wants the economy to handle it. German politics are pretty mild compared to Turkey.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,042
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
What are the Bargaining powers of Labour Unions in Germany ? I heard that Factory workers get 40 % seats (by means of representatives) in board meetings. There is this perception that Germany has the most labour-friendly laws in europe is it true ?

hope they win. too many right wing parties in power in Europe rn

Unions are sadly shrinking in size. But they are still powerful, we have one that is right now halting almost all rail traffic in the country. The leader is very eccentric, but boy does he fight for his people.

Yeah the EU and Europe needs social democrats at heart again in France, Germany and Italy. Spain is already onboard afaik.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom