Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
List of PTI candidates for Gilgit-Baltistan Elections 2020

GILGIT: The election commission has issued the final list of candidates for the upcoming general election in Gilgit-Baltistan region scheduled on November 15.

According to Election Commission GB, from 584 candidates who initially submitted their nomination papers, 218 candidates have withdrew their candidatures and finally total 330 will contest election from 23 constituencies of GB.

All the major political parties including ruling PTI, PML-N, PPP and PML-Q have announced their candidates.

For the complete list click the link below

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Chairman Pakistan Peoples Party Bilawal Bhutto Zardari said that he is not someone who can take U-turn from his promise and decision.

Addressing a rally in Skardu, he said that the people of Gilgit-Baltistan would have to be given a separate province, legislation would be enacted, poor people would be made the owners of the land in Gilgit, and PPP would take care of the country’s economy.

He further said, “I am not a player, I have not been selected to take the U-turn from my promise. If I want to be the Prime Minister of this country, I have to gain the votes of Gilgit-Baltistan. All the demands in the PPP manifesto are for the people.”

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan

Gilgit Baltistan Election 2020: What voters want in each of the 24 constituencies up for grabs​

Gilgit Baltistan will be electing representatives to the Gilgit Baltistan Assembly on Sunday, November 15.
Politicians from major political parties have campaigned furiously — drawing large crowds and making lofty promises — as they vied for the northern territory’s coveted Legislative Assembly seats.

Here’s what you need to know about all the constituencies up for grabs, the demographics of each constituency and their concerns ahead of the big day.

Map of Gilgit Baltistan​

Gilgit Baltistan is home to 1.4 million people, according to the 2017 population census.

318301_3452072_updates.jpg
Map of Gilgit Baltistan with regions and constituencies defined. Map by Geo Election Cell
The mountainous territory is divided into three regions:

i) Gilgit (top, shaded in green in the map)

ii) Baltistan, and (bottom right, shaded in dark green)

iii) Diamer (bottom left, shaded in light green)

GILGIT REGION​

The Gilgit region has a total headcount of 570,000 and is divided into nine constituencies.

GBA – 1 (Gilgit I)​

318301_4738450_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-1
Voters: 35,841
Female: 15,790
Male: 20,051
Polling stations: 62

What are the key concerns?

The area has long been overlooked in terms of infrastructural development. Roads remain damaged, residents lack access to clean drinking water and electricity loadshedding in the winter months can last as long as 22 hours a day.

Top contenders:

Amjad Hussain (PPP), Sultan Raees (Independent), Mustafa Shah (Islami Tehreek Pakistan), Johar Ali (PTI)

GBA – 2 (Gilgit II)​

318301_6244594_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-2
Voters: 41,259
Female: 18,201
Male: 23,058
Polling stations: 73

While the PML-N-led government built new roads in the area at the tail-end of its tenure, other outstanding issues remain. The lack of potable water, appropriate health facilities and unemployment top the list of concerns.

Top contenders:

Fatehullah Khan (PTI), Jameel Ahmed (PPP), Hafeez-ur-Rehman (PML-N)

GBA – 3 – Elections postponed till November 22​

GBA – 4 (Nagar I)​

318301_8568480_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-4
Voters: 23,171
Female voters: 10,440
Male voters: 12,731
Polling stations: 42

The lack of an adequate sewerage line is a major concern, as is a lack of universities, which compels students to move to other districts for higher education.

Top contenders:

Amjad Hussain (PPP), Zulfiqar Ali (PTI), Muhammad Ayub (ITP)

GBA – 5 (Nagar II)​

318301_3384664_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-5
Voters: 14,001
Female voters: 6,241
Male voters: 7,760
Polling stations: 26

Internet and education top the list of the voters’ worries. Internet facilities in the area are patchy. The constituency also has a lack of schools.

Top contenders:

Mirza Hussain (PPP), Rizwan Ali (MWM), Javed Ali (Indp)

GBA – 6 (Hunza)​

318301_2752669_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-6
Voters: 43,603
Female voters: 21,275
Male voters: 22,328
Polling stations: 90

The area has long been deprived of electricity infrastructure and access to clean drinking water. The area’s roads are in a state of disrepair and residents complain of being cut off from the rest of the region.

Top contenders:

Obaidullah Beg (PTI), Zahoor Karim (PPP), Kamil Jan (Indp)

GBA – 19 (Ghizer I)​

318301_294617_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-19
Voters: 37,808
Female voters: 17,511
Male voters: 20,297
Polling stations: 51

Healthcare is a primary issue, as the constituency lacks a Tehsil Headquarters Hospital. The dearth of educational facilities in the area has left girls the most affected, who often give up on their education after secondary school. Internet issues are also a concern.

Top contenders:

Shakeel Ahmed (Indp), Syed Jalal Shah (PPP), Nawaz Khan Naji (Indp)

GBA – 20 (Ghizer II)​

318301_1685723_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-20
Voters: 42,533
Female voters: 19,245
Male voters: 23,288
Polling stations: 52

Critical care and women’s health are significant challenges in the constituency. As the largest health facility lacks a gynaecologist or surgeon, patients who require such care need to be taken to hospitals in other districts.

Top contenders:

Ali Sher (PPP), Nazeer Ahmed (PTI), Safdar Ali Sherazi (Indp)

GBA – 21 (Ghizer III)​

318301_7856799_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-21
Voters: 34,975
Female voters: 15,846
Male voters: 19,129
Polling stations: 52

A severe shortage of potable water in the area has forced people to turn to rivers and canals, leading to frequent outbreaks of water-borne diseases.

Top contenders:

Raja Jahanzeb (PTI), Muhammad Ayub Shah (PPP), Ghulam Mohammad (PML-N)

BALTISTAN REGION​

The Baltistan region has a population of 538,300 and consists of nine constituencies.

GBA – 7 (Skardu I)​

318301_5672948_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-7
Voters: 17,127
Female voters: 7,905
Male voters: 9,222
Polling stations: 28

Infrastructural issues abound in the area, as a significant chunk of the constituents live in darkness due to a bare-bones electricity infrastructure. Furthermore, roads are broken and the area lacks adequate health facilities.

Top contenders:

Syed Mehdi Shah (PPP), Raja Zakeria Khan (PTI), Muhammad Iqbal (ITP)

GBA – 8 (Skardu)​

318301_234701_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-8
Voters: 39,567
Female voters: 17,716
Male voters: 21,851
Polling stations: 54

Unemployment is the constituents’ foremost concern. Moreover, educational facilities in the area are lacking as girls have no college to go to while boys have just one.

Top contenders:

Imtiaz Haider (Indp), Mohammad Ali Shah (PPP), Mohammad Kazim (MWM)

GBA – 9 (Skardu III)​

318301_4207364_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-9
Voters: 25,562
Female voters: 11,569
Male voters: 13,993
Polling stations: 55

The residents of this constituency worry about a lack of potable water, electricity and unemployment.

Top contenders:

Wazeer Waqar (PPP), FidaNashad (PTI), Wazeer Mohammad Saleem( Indp)

GBA – 10 (Skardu IV)​

318301_3627085_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-10
Voters: 26,839
Female voters: 12,098
Male voters: 14,741
Polling stations: 46

The roads of the area are not fit for travel and electricity supply is patchy.

Top contenders:

Wazeer Hassan (PTI), Sikander Ali (ITP), Wazeer Mohammad Khan (PPP)

GBA – 11 (Kharmang)​

318301_7061628_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-11
Voters: 26,887
Female voters: 12,409
Male voters: 14,478
Polling stations: 42

Long overlooked, the constituency lacks proper facilities for water and electricity.

Top contenders:

Syed Amjad Ali (PTI), Niaz Ali Siam (PPP), Syed Mohsin Rizvi (Indp)

GBA – 12 (Shigar)​

318301_7232494_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-12
Voters: 36,183
Female voters: 16,663
Male voters: 19,520
Polling stations: 70

The area lacks health and educational facilities.

Top contenders:

Imran Nadeem (PPP), Raja Azam Khan (PTI), Tahir Shigri (PML-N)

GBA – 22 (Ghanche I)​

318301_7746049_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-22
Voters: 28,900
Female voters: 13,185
Male voters: 15,715
Polling stations: 57

The constituency is one of the areas worst affected by previous natural disasters. Despite the widespread devastation caused by flooding and landslides, the area’s infrastructure has yet to see improvement.

Top contenders:

Mohammad Sanai (PTI), Mohammad Jaffar (PTI)

GBA – 23 (Ghanche II)​

318301_7529108_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-23
Voters: 28,244
Female voters: 12,533
Male voters: 15,711
Polling stations: 48

The constituency lacks basic education and health facilities. Moreover, residents do not have access to clean drinking water.

Top contenders

Ghulam Ali Haideri (PPP), Ghulam Hussain (PML-N), Amina Bibi (PTI)

GBA – 24 (Ghanche III)​

318301_8137317_updates.jpg
Map of GBA-24
Voters: 20,187
Male voters: 10,588
Female voters: 9,599
Polling stations: 43

A lack of basic education and health facilities, poor infrastructure and unavailability of potable water are major challenges the constituents are faced with.

Top contenders:

Syed Shamusuddin (PTI), Mohammad Ismail (PPP), Engineer Manzoor Hussain (PML-N)

the rest can be read on the site

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan

Gilgit Baltistan Election 2020 live updates: Pakistan's political parties go head-to-head in polls today​

The people of Gilgit Baltistan will head to the polls today to decide who they want to vote for after weeks of rigorous campaigns by the ruling PTI, the PML-N and the PPP as well as other political parties.

Read more: Gilgit Baltistan Election 2020: What voters want in each of the 24 constituencies up for grabs

A total of 745,361 voters will be voting for 23 constituencies across 1,160 polling stations on Sunday. Gilgit Baltistan region's administration said at least 15,900 law enforcement personnel would be deployed for security purposes.

Out of the 847 polling booths, 418 have been declared highly sensitive, 311 sensitive and 431 normal.

Stringent security measures are in place for the elections today. Twenty-four seats of the Gilgit Baltistan Assembly are up for grabs among the 320 candidates that are contesting.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan

All eyes on hotly contested Gilgit-Baltistan polls today

ISLAMABAD: Amid the threat of Covid-19, people in Gilgit-Baltistan are heading to vote on Sunday (today) in what could be the most hotly contested election the region has ever seen.

The polls assumed much significance this time as the two main opposition parties held a vigorous campaign. These elections could serve as a test case for the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) as well as the two opposition party leaders — Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari and Maryam Nawaz.

As many as 330 candidates, including four women, are vying for the 24 general seats in the third legislative assembly of Gilgit-Baltistan.

With political temperature hitting boiling point, leaders of the three major parties organised public gatherings in various parts of the region, firing salvos against each other while ignoring around 100 notices issued by the Gilgit-Baltistan Election Commission over violation of code of conduct.

Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari, who stayed in the region for weeks, has been leading his party’s campaign.

330 candidates in the run; 745,361 voters in region; women form 45.61pc of total electorates
Prime Minister Imran Khan also reached Gilgit to attend a ceremony held on the occasion of the Independence Day of Gilgit-Baltistan where he announced that the area would soon be given a provisional status of province. Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit-Baltistan Ali Amin Gandapur, Communications Minister Murad Saeed as well as Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) vice president Maryam Nawaz also actively participated in the campaign.

According to political analysts, a tough battle is expected between PTI and PPP.

For the upcoming polls, which were earlier scheduled to be held in August but were postponed due to the pandemic, PPP has fielded 23 candidates with 21 aspirants representing PML-N.

The PTI has made seat adjustment with Majlis-i-Wahdatul Muslimeen (MWM) on two constituencies.

The party has also been strengthened with the recent joining of local leaders. Seasoned politician Fida Mohammad Nashad is one of them and has been awarded the party ticket.

Mr Nashad had served as the legislative assembly’s speaker after the 2015 elections. Other former PML-N ministers and assembly members who have joined PTI include Dr Mohammad Iqbal, Haider Khan and Ibrahim Sanai.

A recent Gallup Pakistan survey showed that PTI was in a strong position followed by the PPP.

Gilgit-Baltistan (GB), formally known as the Federally Administered Northern Areas, is an autonomous region with a separate governance and electoral framework.

The total number of registered voters in the region is 745,361 with 450,305 males and 339,998 females. Women constitute 45.61 per cent of the total electorates.

In the 2015 elections, the total number of voters stood at 618,364, with 329,475 men and 288,889 women. The proportion of women voters at that time was 46.71 per cent, which means that the gap between male and female voters in the region has increased by 1.10 per cent in the past five years.

Interesting contests are expected in some constituencies.

In GBLA-2 (Gilgit), former chief minister Hafizur Rehman of the PML-N and PPP’s Jamil Ahmed will face each other for the third time.

In 2015, Hafeezur Rahman had defeated Jamil Ahmed, while in 2009 both lost to Deedar Ali, an independent candidate.

In GBLA-10, Wazir Hassan of the PTI and Mohammad Sikandar Ali of the Islami Tehreek Pakistan (ITP), who have also been contesting against each other since 2009, are in the run again.

In 2009, Wazir Hassan, who was a PPP candidate back then, defeated independent Raja H. Khan Maqnoon and Mohammad Sikandar of the PML-Q. In 2015, Mohammad Sikandar contested the polls on Islami Tehreek Pakistan’s ticket and won. Nasir Abdullah of MWM was runner-up while Wazir Hassan (PPP) and Najaf Ali of PTI were also in the race.

This time, Wazir Hassan is a PTI candidate and will be facing Wazir Mohammad Khan and Mohammad Sikandar.

Chief of Baltistan National Front (BNF) Nawaz Khan Naji, an ardent supporter for the region’s autonomy, remained successful both in 2009 and 2015 polls. He is vying for a seat from the GBLA-19 constituency once again.

In GBLA-7 (Skardu) Mohammad Abbas of the ITP will be competing against his uncle, Raja Zakria Khan, who has been fielded by PTI. Others in the contest are former GB chief minister Syed Mehdi Shah who had won the seat back in 2009 but lost it in 2015.

Elections have been delayed in GBLA-3 following the death of PTI Gilgit-Baltistan President retired Justice Jaffer Shah from coronavirus.

PTI has now given the ticket to Jaffer Shah’s son after facing severe criticism over its earlier decision to grant ticket to former minister Dr Iqbal, who left PML-N and joined PTI.

Despite joining PTI formally, Dr Iqbal would be contesting the election as an independent candidate.

In a latest development, Tehreek-i-Nifaz-i-Fiqh-i-Jafria extended its support to PPP in the Gilgit-Baltistan elections.

Meanwhile, the Gilgit-Baltistan government has announced standard operating procedures to deal with coronavirus threat at the polling stations.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
  • A darkening and depleting cell of political wilderness
“I have studied pathological liars. Anything they say, they believe. That is one of the reasons they are so convincing because they have no connection with the truth. It is a dead issue. It is like they are colour-blind to the truth. So, anything that comes out of their mouths is their reality.”

Jane Velez-Mitch

So much is happening, and in such quick sequence that it is difficult to keep track. Yet, it makes for such interesting revelations regarding the Machiavellian alacrity with which the chameleon keeps changing its colours that one can’t resist the temptation. With profound apologies to its author, Helena Alvarez, here it goes:

Mirror, mirror

On the wall

I am telling you all my secrets

Once and for all

I really want you to see

The real side of me

Not the face that I pride

But the one that I hide

I know that you know

What I cover with a glow

Let that not be seen

For it would take off my sheen

And it goes on. Now, who does this fit? Does that make for a difficult guess? It is the one and the only ‘popper queen’ this country has produced: Maryam Safdar─ a convict who prefers to go by the name of Maryam Nawaz. Why? We all know that. No need stating it again.

I wrote one a long time ago. That was about his uncle, Shahbaz Sharif, when he ruled Punjab. It was titled “The faces behind the face”. Among other things, I had this to say about him: “But, then, that is the trademark solution of this political clan: dig deep into the pot of duplicity and corruption and retreat to the flanks innocent as a new-born. One thought that paucity of intellect was the only area of concern for the ruling elite of Punjab, but it appears that there are others, too, that may be more grievous than the first mentioned. It makes one humiliating saga of deceit and exploitation of people’s faith and trust. How worse can it really get than this?”
Well, I never thought that it would get any worse than that. But I was wrong. The putrid trail of duplicity, loot and plunder has been taken many notches further by his own niece, the daughter of that master craftsman, convict and absconder Nawaz Sharif, who virtually chiselled the traits into an art form which he and his clan have been practising with such utter disdain for the rule of law, thinking that no one would be able to see through. But, then, deviousness has but a pitiable end. That is what we are now witnessing.

The PDM is all but rendered dysfunctional. With the looming defeat in the G-B elections, the PML(N) goose will not only be cooked, there will be no one willing to support its narrative which keeps changing with the current of the tide. Maryam Safdar has emerged as a Machiavellian manipulator who can indulge shamelessly in perversion of truth and fact to advance her cause. There is nothing known as principles or morality in her thesaurus as she goes from position to position in a wild chase for securing a deal to keep the ray of hope alight in a darkening and depleting cell of political wilderness. As they say some are wont to dig their own graves

The daughter has emerged as the true disciple of a wicked master. She speaks many languages which don’t necessarily come in word form, but clad in meanings which vary from time to time, from situation to situation. Let’s take the case of the military. It has been variously referred to by this clan on various occasions. Once upon a time, it was the warm lap they loved to sit in and drink eagerly from the bottle offered. They enjoyed many a honeymoon. Upon losing the election in 2018 and facing the prospect of being held to account for the remorseless spree of pillaging that they and their political minions had unleashed, they opted to challenge the military. That is when it was called the ‘khalai makhlooq’ for having usurped their eternal right to rule their fiefdom.

After exhausting their backdoor channels for a compromise with tell-tale revelations that such efforts had indeed been undertaken, the convict-absconder thundered that no one from the party would establish any contact with the military. I have written before that I am personally witness to the wicked master proclaiming that he would ensure that the military did not remain in a position to do the 1999 on him ever again. So, the intention to defang the military was always there. It is only that the wicked clan was waiting for an appropriate time. And what time could be more appropriate than when they were deprived of their ‘right’ to rule? That is when they decided to play the innocent sufferers at the hands of the military and proceeded malevolently to incite rebellion within the institution. It was vile and subversive. One thought that it was a well-orchestrated position the clan had taken and they would keep pounding upon it, hoping that it would work to their advantage.

But, no, one was wrong yet again simply because there is no end to their trail of unprincipled pursuits, bordering on evil. This happened on the eve of elections in Gilgit-Baltistan scheduled for November 15. To begin with, there was much drumming as if the PML(N) would emerge as the outright winners. But, with time, it was established that they would be the last on the victory stand, a poor third. This was further established with the publication of two surveys: one by Gallop and the other by Pulse Consultant. Both these surveys reiterated that PTI was, by far, the most popular party and Imran Khan the most trusted leader. The ground surge further certifies these projections. This led to the wicked disciple seeking a meeting with Bilawal Zardari in which, understandably, she floated the idea of seat adjustment between the two parties. This was rejected by the PPP which thinks that it has a chance of doing well on its own.

Thus deprived of any hope in an open contest, and with her political fortunes hurtling into a nosedive, the wicked one resorted to another vile trick. In an interview with the BBC, she said that she would be willing to talk to the military if they would first remove Prime Minister Khan’s government. One thought that her battle, and that of her convict-absconder father, rested on the fraudulent narrative of ushering in an era of genuine democracy and civilian supremacy in the country sans interference by the military, but here she was appealing to the very force her clan has been so venomously accusing of having deprived them of their fiefdom.

The boat she has been riding is leaking profusely. The PPP has backed off and is quite unwilling to support an anti-military narrative. There is revolt brewing in the JUI(F) with two of their leaders, Hafiz Hussain Ahmad and Maulana Sheerani, removed from their respective positions. They had refused to espouse Maulana Fazlur Rehman’s support for the PML(N) and its stance. It is reliably learnt that they, together with some other discordant voices, will soon be launching their own faction of the party.

The PDM is all but rendered dysfunctional. With the looming defeat in the G-B elections, the PML(N) goose will not only be cooked, there will be no one willing to support its narrative which keeps changing with the current of the tide. Maryam Safdar has emerged as a Machiavellian manipulator who can indulge shamelessly in perversion of truth and fact to advance her cause. There is nothing known as principles or morality in her thesaurus as she goes from position to position in a wild chase for securing a deal to keep the ray of hope alight in a darkening and depleting cell of political wilderness. As they say some are wont to dig their own graves.

For PTI, the sparkle of celebration on November 15 will light up the sky─ and the hearts!

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
More than 300 candidates are vying for 24 constituencies of GB Assembly while regional parties besides three mainstream parties are caught in an electoral tug of war. Today it is the polling day. Hopefully, this day will also see peace like unruffled elections rallies and charged but nonviolent campaign.

As far as GB Assembly elections are concerned, PPP, PTI, PML N and Ittehad Banul Muslimeen are pulling the ropes while a large number of independent candidates are also trying their luck in the election arena.

Apparently, a collation government of PPP and PTI in GB seems to be on the cards. In the last elections, PML N won 22 seats out of 24. But this time, on one hand, PML N doesn’t have government in Islamabad; while on the other hand, the narrative of its leadership is a hard pill to swallow for its men in the field.

According to election surveys and opinion of political pundits, some kind of collation government is in the offing. It will be, as the ground realities show, an uphill task for any single party to form the government.

GB Assembly elections prove to be the litmus test for the hypocrisy of Pakistani politics, or to be more precise, the breakdown of PDM narrative. PDM comprised of eleven parties claims to represent public will and restore democracy in letter and spirit in Pakistan. In this backdrop, they, adopting pragmatic approach, could use GB as an available venture for their alliance to join hands to eliminate PTI, but the lust for power hindered their political prudence. Maryam Nawaz who stands for true spirit of PDM narrative, could contest these elections in tandem with Bilawal Bhutto, or make seat adjustment with PPP in some constituencies but no effort was made in this regard. Nor was it even considered by the both sides.

The collation of Pakistan Muslim League (N) and Pakistan People’s Party is almost unthinkable, rather a snowball’s chance in hell. Pakistanis may remember that when 2008 elections were conducted and PPP formed federal government, both these parties had lately inked the Charter of Democracy. For a goodwill gesture, some PML N leaders were taken in the PPP Cabinet. Then we said that it was unnatural alliance and had ghost of a chance to continue. And the same thing happened. By hurling corruption charges and making nasty excuses, N League minister separated their ways. Today Nawaz Sharif is taking a fancy to PPP, but the same Nawaz Sharif, donning a black coat, appeared in the court in person against PPP in the notorious Memogate Scandal.

Anyhow, it is the past. Coming back to the present times, we can see that Bilawal Bhutto’s sojourn and untiring efforts in Gilgit-Baltistan a month prior to the ongoing elections, his massive rallies and well attended processions have made him endeared to the people of the region. Ground realities show that PPP seems to emerge as a majority party there, thereby a must part of any collation government. Secondly, many such incidents have been reported that PPP and PML N workers confronted, or scuffled or even came to blows. It shows that they are not ready to forebear each other. Inner sources of PPP say that PPP Jiala (enthusiast) dislikes his party’s reconciliation with N League. It can undermine PPP elections prospects in the times to come.

Maryam Nawaz of PML N is also holding processions in which she challenges the establishment, but in an interview to BBC, she voiced their inmost desire that they could talk to the establishment provided it ousts the incumbent government. It means she has unequivocally expressed their chief demand.

Legally speaking, Maryam Nawaz is a convict on bail. How can a person on bail throw demands before the state institutions with such impunity that they should topple a government elected by people? How can the people vilifying and slandering the army in every speech think of having dialogue with the same?

Being the students of politics, when we take stock of the approach, conduct and statements of Bilawal Bhutto and Maryam Nawaz, one thing becomes clear that the former has shown more political sagacity and maturity than the latter. I.G Sindh incident bears testimony of this perception. Bilawal Bhutto has welcomed the inquiry report established by the Army Chief while Maryam Nawaz who in no ambiguous words is desperate in settling things with the army and she herself has admitted that people around her have links from the other side whereas sources say that they themselves have established links with the army, is now casting doubts on the report.

The way this unnatural alliance has fallen apart in GB Elections, it is pertinent to think that it was just a flash in the pan. Very soon Pakistanis will see them hounding each other.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan

WATCH: In bitter cold, 98-year-old man comes out to cast vote in GB Election 2020​

This is a modal window.

This video is either unavailable or not supported in this browser​

Error Code: MEDIA_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED
Technical details :
The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.
Session ID: 2020-11-15:90ae29d317a993e94b4e2598 Player Element ID: vjs_video_3
OK
Close Modal Dialog

NAGAR KHAS: In the bitterly cold weather of Pakistan's northern areas, a nonagenarian came out to cast his vote in the Gilgit-Baltistan Election 2020.
The 98-year-old, Sha'aban Ali, a resident of Nagar in Gilgit-Baltistan's Nagar District, arrived at the Jafarabad 21 polling station to cast his vote despite the freezing temperatures and mobility issues.
Elderly voters have been active in voting in the Gilgit-Baltistan Election 2020, with many in Diamer's Chilas-II constituency also reaching the polling stations in large numbers to cast their votes.
Also read: Gilgit Baltistan Election 2020 live results: Vote-counting starts
Earlier in the day, an 80-year-old physically disabled man surprised a lot of people when he turned up at a polling station using crutches to vote.
318696_5330314_updates.jpg
Many elderly voters in Diamer's Chilas-II constituency also reached the polling stations in large numbers to cast their votes in the Gilgit-Baltistan Election 2020. Geo News/via Geo.tv
Hopping on one leg and holding his body with the weight of his crutches, the man told Geo News that he had come out to vote as people in his area were facing issues.
Read more: 80-year-old physically disabled man comes out to vote in Diamer
There were no proper roads in his area, he said, adding that a dispensary was the need of the hour for the constituents.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Legally speaking, Maryam Nawaz is a convict on bail. How can a person on bail throw demands before the state institutions with such impunity that they should topple a government elected by people? How can the people vilifying and slandering the army in every speech think of having dialogue with the same?
This demonstrates what I have repeated many times. The Pakistan Army is NOT the all pervasive, dark force whose shadow shakes everybody into fear and trepidation. This would be impossible in Turkey before the rise of Erdogan or Pinochet's Chile. Power is badly fractured in Pakistan and the army only holds part of a power complex which means it's space is limited. And we can see this by how blatently Maryam can cause grief.

If Pakistan was a military state as our neighbours love screaming Maryam would have been squashed like a bug.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Being entirely partisan I hope PTI wins .....

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Great news. PTI win. PML-N almost wiped out. Open champs bottle.

Final Score
PTI 9
IND 7
PPP 4
PMLN 2
MWM 1 Note: 5 Independents won who were not given PTI Tickets

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party of Prime Minister Imran Khan and its allies are set to form a new government for the next five years in the northern Gilgit-Baltistan region, according to initial results late Sunday.

Although Gilgit-Baltistan Chief Election Commissioner Raja Shahbaz Khan told reporters that the election authorities have not officially announced any results, local media and unofficial results showed the PTI and its allies were leading, clinching half of the contested seats.

Official results are expected to be announced Monday as election authorities said they were facing difficulties in collecting results from several far-flung mountainous areas due to heavy snow and rain.

The PTI and its allies, according to the initial results, are in the lead with at least 12 of the 24 seats being contested in the Gilgit-Baltistan Legislative Assembly.

At least four independent candidates projected to win are most likely to join the PTI to form the government.

The two other main contenders -- the center-left Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and center-right Pakistan Muslim League - Nawaz (PML-N), which won the 2015 elections in the region -- have cried foul, accusing the election authorities of "rigging."

The Chief Election Commissioner, however, denied the charge, advising the opposition parties to contact the commission if there are any irregularities.

The PPP, which is likely to clinch three to four seats, said its workers had staged a sit-in outside several polling stations where it claimed the results were not being announced in an attempt to favor the PTI candidates.

Several activists and police personnel were injured after PTI and PPP supporters clashed in Skurdu district, local broadcaster Geo News reported.

- No surprise

The PTI's victory would come as no surprise to many as voters have previously sided with the party that has been in power in Islamabad.

The first two elections were won by the PPP and the PML-N while they were in power in Islamabad in 2009 and 2015 respectively.

Over 700,000 voters cast ballots for 23 of the 24 seats up for grabs in the region’s Legislative Assembly, according to election authorities.

Voting for one seat was postponed after the death of a candidate.

Gilgit-Baltistan is a strategic area for Pakistan, bordering China and serving as a key route for the multibillion-dollar China Pakistan Economic Corridor.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Being entirely partisan I hope PTI wins .....

i have huge disagreements with PTI but PMLN and PPP are not the answer and it seems the defeat of N was especially severe considering they held a huge majority just a year ago. While some electables did jump ship, it doesnt explain the massive downfall of N and it could be attributed to three major reasons.

1. While PPP and PTI focused on provincial status as the center of their campaign, PMLN did no such thing and infact attacked the notion as fraud that will not be given to the people of GB and made no promise of addressing it themselves. The major reason behind it could be that since AJK has their government, they want to make sure that they wont face problems in their AJK chapter for supporting GB province issue. This is why they kept quite on the matter and that resulted in a huge defeat for them.

2. Another reason was PMLN not taking the election seriously. While Bilawal poured his heart out in this campaign and actually gained a few seats to become the opposition, the PMLN chapter was gone and silent and maryam herself had done nothing to reinforce the PMLN campaign. The lethargic attitude actually dissuaded their chapter and campaign managers and considering how Maryam is trying to present herself as the center of PMLN, this was a major major blunder as With GB Province will come NA and senate seats. She really is not cut out to be a politician. i dont get the comparisons with benazir. She would have pounced on the opportunity.

3. Third was PMLN simply not doing enough in the region. Province status was the central demand but with it there were other demands as well and PMLN, despite having the power of the GB council, simply did not develop the region especially considering the fact that GB kept hearing about CPEC. This was a huge blunder and Hafeez ur Rehman, despite being better than Shah (The PPP CM of 2010), was rejected because his work was not upto par.

The seven independents ofcourse showcase the influence of local politicians in the region.;

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
It cannot be stated how important this election was for PMLN and how their lazy and lethargic attitude has backfired. Bilawal had the sense to actually understand why a good showing was the need of the hour in this election but maryam seriously messed up. A victory here, even a close defeat was of golden value since that would have meant that the people were accepting the PDM narrative and that Imran was losing control of Pakistan and was being left alone but this victory which, if independents join, would give him a massive boost. The N attitude was slow and pathetic and they should have adjusted seats with PPP to really make a dent and rather than crying about people leaving or saying that Imran is lying, this soon-to-be province is now lost to N. This is tripled considering the fact that N has no provincial government and GB could have been that secure base like Sindh is for PPP.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
31 19,394
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
It cannot be stated how important this election was for PMLN and how their lazy and lethargic attitude has backfired. Bilawal had the sense to actually understand why a good showing was the need of the hour in this election but maryam seriously messed up. A victory here, even a close defeat was of golden value since that would have meant that the people were accepting the PDM narrative and that Imran was losing control of Pakistan and was being left alone but this victory which, if independents join, would give him a massive boost. The N attitude was slow and pathetic and they should have adjusted seats with PPP to really make a dent and rather than crying about people leaving or saying that Imran is lying, this soon-to-be province is now lost to N. This is tripled considering the fact that N has no provincial government and GB could have been that secure base like Sindh is for PPP.
PMLN has no real plan for GB, and I guess ppl just saw that. It's like everywhere. If opposition focuses on smear and foulplay blaming, and don't come up with a proper plan for serving the people, why should ppl vote on them.

AKP and RTE has managed to pull some good moves from last week. But they're basically doing what Ali Babacan stated should be done, whether that's enough to bring back the economy to pre 2011 level we'll see, but the road is long.

I hope the election results will be beneficial for the people, and the much needed investments gets done. Water, Electricity and Roads are paramount for developing a region. Then education and other options, that increases trade and such.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
PMLN has no real plan for GB, and I guess ppl just saw that. It's like everywhere. If opposition focuses on smear and foulplay blaming, and don't come up with a proper plan for serving the people, why should ppl vote on them.

That is actually pretty true. Both PPP and PTI centered their development plans around provincial status and it wasnt just both sides saying province. Both actually talked about other issues as well including development, education, water network, electricity etc. etc. They both repeatedly talked about it whereas N came with bashing those that left, bashing Imran and Bashing army. it brought forth no development plan, nor empowerment plans, nor any redressal of any issue. They brought nothing to the table which is why i said that their campaign was sorry and pathetic which was a stark difference to their 2015 campaign.
I hope the election results will be beneficial for the people, and the much needed investments gets done. Water, Electricity and Roads are paramount for developing a region. Then education and other options, that increases trade and such.
Indeed

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
101 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Gilgit Baltistan Election 2020: My election has been stolen, says Bilawal Bhutto

PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari on Monday announced that he will be joining a protest against Sunday's Gilgit Baltistan polls.

"My election has been stolen," he wrote on Twitter. "I will be joining the people of Gilgit Baltistan in their protest shortly."

Imran Khan-led PTI is emerging as the single largest party in the hotly contested polls in Gilgit Baltistan. According to unofficial and unconfirmed results, the ruling party grabbed nine seats while Bilawal Bhutto Zardari-led PPP came second with three victories. Meanwhile, PML-N, JUI-F, and MWM have won one each while Independent candidates secured six.

As many as 330 candidates, including four women, were vying for 23 general seats in the third legislative assembly of the northern region.

Citizens, wearing facemasks and observing social distancing, lined up outside polling stations in bitter cold across the region, many voters braving heavy snowfalls.

More than 15,000 security personnel from GB, Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Sindh, and Balochistan were deployed at polling stations.

Read more: PTI victory sign of people’s trust in PM Imran Khan, says Shibli Faraz

Controversies​

Both PML-N and PPP made rigging allegations ahead of the poll. On Sunday, PPP senator Sherry Rehman said some election observers were not being allowed to monitor GB elections.

“There were more than 600 members of the Free and Fair Election Network (Fafen) monitoring the elections, but some have been removed from the polling stations,” she said.

Yes Yes everything is stolen. Nobody loses fairly in Pakistan.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom