Greece to procure a fleet of F-35 fighter jets

the

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

• After meeting with US President Biden, Greek Prime Minister Mitsotakis announced that Greece will procure a fleet of F-35 fighter jets.​
  • Greece hopes to add F-35s to its inventory by the end of the 2020s. Lockheed Martin, the manufacturer of the aircraft, will also invest in Greece.​
  • Deliveries of airplanes could begin in at least 5 years. However, members of Congress can shorten this period if they wish to speed up the process. We can see it as inventoried before 2030.​
  • Possibility of Greece receiving the 6 F-35s produced for Turkey.​

- Consider this a response to 'balance the playing field' if the F-16 package is approved for Turkey.

Turkish foreign policy undefeated. 1. Lose air superiority to Greece 2. Piss off NATO allies 3. Lose out on F-35 + production base......

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,919
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I dont see any panicking really.

Turkish airforce could have

F16s both new and modernised
TAI TFX
MIUS/KE
Eurofighter Typhoons

F35 no doubt would give Greece an edge but I dont see the Turkish airforce falling down the pecking order.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,544
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
if those 6 F35s ever get shipped to this part of the world we should intercept the shipment. We paid for it. It is ours.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,725
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania

• After meeting with US President Biden, Greek Prime Minister Mitsotakis announced that Greece will procure a fleet of F-35 fighter jets.​
  • Greece hopes to add F-35s to its inventory by the end of the 2020s. Lockheed Martin, the manufacturer of the aircraft, will also invest in Greece.​
  • Deliveries of airplanes could begin in at least 5 years. However, members of Congress can shorten this period if they wish to speed up the process. We can see it as inventoried before 2030.​
  • Possibility of Greece receiving the 6 F-35s produced for Turkey.​

- Consider this a response to 'balance the playing field' if the F-16 package is approved for Turkey.

Turkish foreign policy undefeated. 1. Lose air superiority to Greece 2. Piss off NATO allies 3. Lose out on F-35 + production base......
By the end of the 2020s, Turkey is supposed to have TFX, Hurjet, and MIUS
Along with Siper ADS

Let the greeks have the F35s, maybe it will aid Turkey by making Greece bankrupt even before any fighting occurs, looool
The F35s are having many problems till date from operational costs, maintenace costs, to security problems as even the Brits had problems operating their own jets during US-UK exercises. In addition, it is more geared to Air to ground missions while the TFX will be able to do both more effeciently
Let the greeks be happy with their F35s at the end of the 2020s😂

If the Greeks were to obtain the F35s by the end of 2023 or the beginning of 2024, then I would admit that it is a threat to Turkey; other than that, nothing

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,919
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is a lot to say about how our foreign policy is garbage.

Nothing much you can do when American and Turkish interests clash.

We dont have any American politicians under our pockets. Also Congress is full of Armenian, Greek and Jewish lobbies.

S400 vs F35 was just the tip of the iceberg in Turkish and American interests clashing. Greece is just benefitting from it.

Indian gir lion

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Do greeks have money, or will America give f 35 to them cheaply .
I know i know, f 35 is not like buying 1 kg of onions ( turkish onions are dry, though and brown color , when they came to India in 2013 -14 during great onions. Crisis , people thronged to market to see turkish onions )but why America will favor Greece over turky ?
When both nato members

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,850
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Oh we talking about this again?
Leaving aside the financial burden and the intensive infrastructure investments the F-35 come with. And the other aspect which Greece would have to face in the 2030s.

How many times will we see these desperate attempts from the Greece side to be able to procure the F-35`? Not only that to even go down as low as to demand Turkey's F-35 for themselves thinking they can get them for cheap if not even gifted to them because they are Greece.
Every few months the Greece government and its internet puppets reheat the same story in which Greece wants to buy the F-35 and how it will happen but they would rather have Turkey's F-35 send to them because they don't want to wait 7 years for the first plane to roll of the production line.

In an desperate attempt Micotakis once again a proven liar thinks he can pressure the White House and Biden directly by talking about the F-35 procurement right after meeting Biden in which he most likely whined for an hour straight, if it even was an hour, about the support Biden has given the F-16 deal for Turkey as well as the support which Biden has pulled from the EastMed Pipeline which was supposed to be Greece's way out of the enermous debt it has collected within the European Union.

Most likely after getting told no by Biden and his team he demanded the F-35 in return. And once again was politely told no. Greece to this day hasn't paid the full amount for its F-16 Block 70 modernization btw.

I have talked about this topic extensively already multiple times. And this time Greece's position is even in a weaker position.

So I will believe it when I see it.

Don't forget this is the same Greece which whined and cried like a child and cut off its "support"(sending a couple hundred AK-47 meant for Hafter to Ukraine somehow counts as support) to Ukraine because everyone ignored their demands of attacking and sanctioning Turkey in return for their "support".

Like I said. I will believe it when I see it. I for one do not take one word Micotakis says serious. A proven liar.

Last edited:

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Greece is desperately seeking a remedy in face of sharply changing balances. I think F35 intention stems from desire to feel more secure. They purchased Rafale first and declared themselves rulers of the sky. Later, when their enthusiasm subsided, they felt that situation was not going to be what they thought and now they are expressing intent on both political protection umbrella and F35 against Turkiye.

By September, when they see the TFX and MIUS prototypes and finished Hürjets, they will realize that a fleet of F35s to be delivered around 2030s will not be enough either. It will soon take place for test firing of Siper Blk-1. GaN AESA EIRSs will be delivered this year too. Air-SOJ, Koral-II will also be revealed. Tests of IHA-AEWC drones with 200+km AESA radars and Ramjet BVR Gokhan missiles will begin. Gökdoğan Blk-2 BVR will be revealed as well. Who knows TAF may want to show state of art new Passive radars which was developed to detect stealth aircrafts like F35 from long distances.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,919
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Greece is desperately seeking a remedy in face of sharply changing balances. I think F35 intention stems from desire to feel more secure. They purchased Rafale first and declared themselves rulers of the sky. Later, when their enthusiasm subsided, they felt that situation was not going to be what they thought and now they are expressing intent on both political protection umbrella and F35 against Turkiye.

By September, when they see the TFX and MIUS prototypes and finished Hürjets, they will realize that a fleet of F35s to be delivered around 2030s will not be enough either. It will soon take place for test firing of Siper Blk-1. GaN AESA EIRSs will be delivered this year too. Air-SOJ, Koral-II will also be revealed. Tests of IHA-AEWC drones with 200+km AESA radars and Ramjet BVR Gokhan missiles will begin. Gökdoğan Blk-2 BVR will be revealed as well. Who knows TAF may want to show state of art new Passive radars which was developed to detect stealth aircrafts like F35 from long distances.

Indeed man!! You literally made the point.

Warfare is more than 1 plane. Nobody denies that F35 is formidable, advanced and the plane everybody wants.

But people need to stop treating as if its God weapon thats going turn things upside like the Dreadnought and Machine Gun.

1 weapon cant win you a war.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,725
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Do greeks have money, or will America give f 35 to them cheaply .
I know i know, f 35 is not like buying 1 kg of onions ( turkish onions are dry, though and brown color , when they came to India in 2013 -14 during great onions. Crisis , people thronged to market to see turkish onions )but why America will favor Greece over turky ?
When both nato members
Thr USA is like a company with most of its shareholders pro-greece and pro-armenian
Most on the anti-turkey members in the congress have Greek and Armenian wives and mainly think with their dick

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,682
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
SU35S, quoted by some as best 4++ generation fighter around;
SU57, deemed as Russia’s response to F22 stealth planes.
With their overwhelming numbers and their superiority on paper, there was so much expectation. But they have failed to deliver; In fact they have done very little in Ukraine against an almost non existent airforce.
As they say in English ; “there is more than one way to skin a cat”
Just airforce superiority alone, doesn’t win you wars. It may help and inflict a lot of pain. But it may not be a decisive game changer that most people think it would be.
F35 planes may be state of the art flying computers. But how much they will have an impact on the outcome of an all out war, is a mystery.
If I were in Greece’s shoes I wouldn’t count my chickens before they are hatched. Buying and operating F35’s are not the same as having 4th generation planes. It is a very costly and long winded process that will take many years to perfect. Ground maintenance services are very costly. Operationally ready numbers of planes in fleet are very low.
One also, mustn’t discount the fact that GaN based Aesa radar’s ability to identify and lock on to stealth jets from comparatively longer distances. (All our Aesa radars will have GaN based TR modules. That is why, I believe, Aselsan has been trying to perfect the GaN based Aesa radars. Otherwise we could have had GaAs based ones much earlier)

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom