News Greece, U.S. renew defence deal to boost cooperation

Vaggos

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Italy
Nation of origin
Greece
WASHINGTON, Oct 14 (Reuters) - Greece and the United States signed on Thursday an agreement which renews a long-standing defence cooperation among the two countries.

The two NATO allies, with strong political and economic ties, renewed their agreement for five years.

The United States has several military bases in Greece and the amendment will allow their defence agreement to "remain in force" indefinitely, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken told a news conference in Washington, alongside Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias.

"We're strengthening our defense cooperation today," Blinken said. "This update will allow the agreement to remain in force indefinitely. And it enables our forces in Greece to train and operate from additional locations."

Dendias said that U.S. commitment to Greece showed that both countries are firmly determined to mutually safeguard and protect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of each other.

The deal comes a few weeks after Greece signed a new defence pact with France that will allow them to come to each other's aid in the event of an external threat, but which has stirred further tensions with Turkey.

2IA44M5EOFJTTFICG2RAMZWPLU.jpg
https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...-with-us-protect-sovereignty-both-2021-10-14/

trakya_forever

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is really nice for Greece. Congratulations. You can sleep well after that. However, during the ceremony, Dendias speech interested me. He said that our sovereignty is under attack. This agreement will save us. Something like that.

It is really ridiculous to say that while delivering your sovereignty to another state willingly. If the threat of Greece is Turkey, we have no plans to set up lots of bases on your land or invading your bases, but somebody has I guess.

Kansei

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus
It is really nice for Greece. Congratulations. You can sleep well after that. However, during the ceremony, Dendias speech interested me. He said that our sovereignty is under attack. This agreement will save us. Something like that.

It is really ridiculous to say that while delivering your sovereignty to another state willingly. If the threat of Greece is Turkey, we have no plans to set up lots of bases on your land or invading your bases, but somebody has I guess.
I'm sorry but this kind of thinking is really stupid and fallacious. That's like inviting someone to stay over at your house for a few weeks because you are afraid of you neighbour's threats that he will forcefully come in to your house, break in and merge your house with his ; and then your neighbour's response to this is " I have no plans to come in to your house, but sombody else has come in already. You are giving up your freedom to another person willingly". Also I am tired of Turk nationalists keep making fun of Greece for becoming "the U.S's slave" because we let them use 3 small military bases and one navy one, while Turkey has a whole Air Base built by the U.S and used as the home of the USAF 39th Air Base Wing, while also housing 50 Nuclear Warheads for the U.S.

You call Greece dependant on the U.S while Turkey's entire air force is dependant on the U.S with all 286 of it's Fighter Planes being American and Erdo's latest request for 40 MORE American planes and 80 modernization kits while pouring 6$ BIllion Dollars from the Turkish Economy into the U.S, goes completely against the doctrine of "Greece Slave, Turkey Strong and Independent Economy and Military Powerhouse" .

I find it extremely absurd and hilarious that Turkish nationalists advise Greece to stop being the U.S's slaves while the U.S's and Turkey's entire economic and political relationship was the U.S using them for their geographical position and size while selling them weapons in return for Turkey bowing down to U.S's reign and not Russia's.

Heck, Erdogan's entire strategy is like a b*tchy girlfriend being on a break with her boyfriend and whenever her boyfriend refuses to meet her to discuss her insane demands, she keeps making post on how she can be Independent or start dating Russia, all 3 countries fully knowing the U.S's will tolerate these insane stunts because Turkey offers such advantages to the U.S that Turkey would never actually completely leave the U.S.

Last edited:

Pantelis

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus
I'm sorry but this kind of thinking is really stupid and fallacious. That's like inviting someone to stay over at your house for a few weeks because you are afraid of you neighbour's threats that he will forcefully come in to your house, break in and merge your house with his ; and then your neighbour's response to this is " I have no plans to come in to your house, but sombody else has come in already. You are giving up your freedom to another person willingly". Also I am tired of Turk nationalists keep making fun of Greece for becoming "the U.S's slave" because we let them use 3 small military bases and one navy one, while Turkey has a whole Air Base built by the U.S and used as the home of the USAF 39th Air Base Wing, while also housing 50 Nuclear Warheads for the U.S.

You call Greece dependant on the U.S while Turkey's entire air force is dependant on the U.S with all 286 of it's Fighter Planes being American and Erdo's latest request for 40 MORE American planes and 80 modernization kits while pouring 6$ BIllion Dollars from the Turkish Economy into the U.S, goes completely against the doctrine of "Greece Slave, Turkey Strong and Independent Economy and Military Powerhouse" .

I find it extremely absurd and hilarious that Turkish nationalists advise Greece to stop being the U.S's slaves while the U.S's and Turkey's entire economic and political relationship was the U.S using them for their geographical position and size while selling them weapons in return for Turkey bowing down to U.S's reign and not Russia's.

Heck, Erdogan's entire strategy is like a b*tchy girlfriend being on a break with her boyfriend and whenever her boyfriend refuses to meet her to discuss her insane demands, she keeps making post on how she can be Independent or start dating Russia, all 3 countries fully knowing the U.S's will tolerate these insane stunts because Turkey offers such advantages to the U.S that Turkey would never actually completely leave the U.S.

Turkey gets the reward for its wrong political decisions. It became a lonely country and became aggressive(we just sent the ball into the goal). Today, those who are disturbed by the relations between Greece and the United States want Turkish United States relations to be the same as before.

Oublious

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkey gets the reward for its wrong political decisions. It became a lonely country and became aggressive(we just sent the ball into the goal). Today, those who are disturbed by the relations between Greece and the United States want Turkish United States relations to be the same as before.

American pressure to bring war to black sea is always blocked by Turkey, if tommorow war breaks out between super powers your country will be the first hit by Russians :D . When they fight Greec will be hit, when they leave they will even not look back like Afghanistan lol....

American using Greec, you people deserve it. Your maximalist behaviour claiming 100% of agean sea, you will never be the energy hub of EU. Put that in your head...

Glass🚬

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
"whatever is in the paramount priorty for u greeks isnt of priority for anyone else" that is something u need to thoroughly understand, no one is going to go to war for u.

Sinan

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think we are better than the Turks in diplomacy :cool:
You are better than "Erdogan", not a feat to boast about. My 90 year old grandma can do better than Erdogan in foreign relations.

Last edited:

Kansei

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus
American pressure to bring war to black sea is always blocked by Turkey, if tommorow war breaks out between super powers your country will be the first hit by Russians :D . When they fight Greec will be hit, when they leave they will even not look back like Afghanistan lol....

American using Greec, you people deserve it. Your maximalist behaviour claiming 100% of agean sea, you will never be the energy hub of EU. Put that in your head...
Once Again completely dodging any arguments and going on a barbaric rant. There are so many things wrong with your statement but I will once again stick to my main point: You ignored my entire previous comment and you are acting like Turkey is anti-American and will not get hit by Russia while completely ignoring how Turkey is reliant so much on the U.S , that not even TWO WEEKS AGO reports have surfaced of Turkey is once again trying to spend BILLIONS on US equipment.
But since I see this is a sour topic for you and you probably either won't want to talk about it or go again on random barbaric rants with no bases on logic, we can change the topic to why do you think Greece is "Maximalistic".
Turkey as a nation who wasn't even in Istanbul 600 years ago, who kicked the Greek inhabitants of Anatolia who have lived there since 1200BCE location is acting like Greece is "Maximalistic" to claim the Agean sea in which the Greek langague has been spoken in the territory for over 3500 years.
I'm not using the argument of Anatolia to claim Anatolia as Greek, I'm using it to show how absurd it is to kick the original Inhabitants from their home into a smaller territory and then have the twisted way of thinking that they are also being unfair by not granting you part of the area which they have been inhabiting for over 3000 years.

Ryder

Veteran Member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Once Again completely dodging any arguments and going on a barbaric rant. There are so many things wrong with your statement but I will once again stick to my main point: You ignored my entire previous comment and you are acting like Turkey is anti-American and will not get hit by Russia while completely ignoring how Turkey is reliant so much on the U.S , that not even TWO WEEKS AGO reports have surfaced of Turkey is once again trying to spend BILLIONS on US equipment.
But since I see this is a sour topic for you and you probably either won't want to talk about it or go again on random barbaric rants with no bases on logic, we can change the topic to why do you think Greece is "Maximalistic".
Turkey as a nation who wasn't even in Istanbul 600 years ago, who kicked the Greek inhabitants of Anatolia who have lived there since 1200BCE location is acting like Greece is "Maximalistic" to claim the Agean sea in which the Greek langague has been spoken in the territory for over 3500 years.
I'm not using the argument of Anatolia to claim Anatolia as Greek, I'm using it to show how absurd it is to kick the original Inhabitants from their home into a smaller territory and then have the twisted way of thinking that they are also being unfair by not granting you part of the area which they have been inhabiting for over 3000 years.

Anatolia does not belong to you. Just like the Turks you guys were newcomers too.

Ancient Anatolians themselves were not even the original inhabitants as the original inhabitants were the Pre Anatolian peoples.

Anatolia has been conquered and settled by various civilisations and empires.

Only the Turks became the winner in the end. So go cope and seethe about it.

Turkey was built by the Turks not greeks or armenians. Its our land end of story since 1071.

Ryder

Veteran Member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
If only the Seljuks took Constantinople earlier under Malik Shah I.

We should have ended the cursed Byzantine Empire earlier on too bad he got assasinated by the hashashin druggies and his empire fell apart after his death.

Kansei

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Anatolia does not belong to you. Just like the Turks you guys were newcomers too.

Ancient Anatolians themselves were not even the original inhabitants as the original inhabitants were the Pre Anatolian peoples.

Anatolia has been conquered and settled by various civilisations and empires.

Only the Turks became the winner in the end. So go cope and seethe about it.

Turkey was built by the Turks not greeks or armenians. Its our land end of story since 1071.
Greeks have been inhabiting that land for the last 2200 years Before the Ottoman came, but your excuse is hey the original inihabitants were actually the people who lived there 50,000 ago? So by your logic it would be fair and okay if e.g Russia conquered the part from the Border of Evros all the way to Istanbul and then would call you "maximalistic" for claiming the Sea of Marmara is entirely yours because "Hey you weren't the original inhabitants of this place, other people lived here 50,000 years ago" ?

Also your whole argument only exist if the topic was about who should claim Anatolia, the topic of the discussion is if you find it reasonable to kick back the people that lived in Anatolia for thousands of years, to the islands and the territory that they have also been inhabiting for thousands of years and then call them maximalistic for not recognizing that part of the sea and their original islands also should belong to you .

To make it simpler for visualization, lets say that Greece's current location is 40% ( The numbers don't matter ) of it's previous size, the islands are 10% and Anatolia is also 40%. After kicking them completely of the first 40% on the East Side and forcing them to go back their 50%, do you find it reasonable to claim that Greece is being Maximalistic by not letting you have some of the islands and part of the sea?

Ryder

Veteran Member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Greeks have been inhabiting that land for the last 2200 years Before the Ottoman came, but your excuse is hey the original inihabitants were actually the people who lived there 50,000 ago? So by your logic it would be fair and okay if e.g Russia conquered the part from the Border of Evros all the way to Istanbul and then would call you "maximalistic" for claiming the Sea of Marmara is entirely yours because "Hey you weren't the original inhabitants of this place, other people lived here 50,000 years ago" ?

Also your whole argument only exist if the topic was about who should claim Anatolia, the topic of the discussion is if you find it reasonable to kick back the people that lived in Anatolia for thousands of years, to the islands and the territory that they have also been inhabiting for thousands of years and then call them maximalistic for not recognizing that part of the sea and their original islands also should belong to you .

To make it simpler for visualization, lets say that Greece's current location is 40% ( The numbers don't matter ) of it's previous size, the islands are 10% and Anatolia is also 40%. After kicking them completely of the first 40% on the East Side and forcing them to go back their 50%, do you find it reasonable to claim that Greece is being Maximalistic by not letting you have some of the islands and part of the sea?

Conqueror takes all.

Turks were just better conquerors.

You can play the numbers game all you like I could careless if you Greeks and Armenians lived here before us who rules and owns these lands.

Thats right its the Turks. Also we dont owe you anything.

You Greeks tried to take back Istanbul and Anatolia only to lose to us at our weakest time.

Too bad we did not get the Islands and Western Thrace back.

At the end of the day you are not indigenous to these lands.

You also hellenised the Anatolians in other words they were not originally Greek at all.

The better the Greeks and Armenians accept these lands dont belong to them if not I think the Turks have no problem in putting you guys in their place just like we done centuries ago.

A Central Asian Turk has more rights to Anatolia than a greek or an armenian.

Greeks belong to Greece while Armenians belong to Armenia. You guys have no rights in Anatolia. This is the price to pay for treason.

All the villages burnt and our people killed are a testament to this. But yeah keep on crying about the fake ass genocide because you could not wipe us out and take Istanbul back.

You Greeks tried again in Cyprus only to lose the North.

trakya_forever

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Come on guys. Especially you Mr.Kansai. Do you know a concept called " time"? Have you ever heard?
The boot is on the other foot now man. We are in war against the US proxies. And you are becoming its proxy day by day.

We dont need to beg others to protect us like you.

"Beggers cant be choosers. "
This is precisely their perspective to you.

In time, all of us will see the consequences of your choices.
Also, I want to add strongly that I have never backed up Erdogan even one day. I am sure most of Turkish users are the same. This is something different and you cant understand. You assume that Erdogan is the only problem and when he is out, everything will be ok.

Last edited:

Kansei

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Conqueror takes all.

Turks were just better conquerors.

You can play the numbers game all you like I could careless if you Greeks and Armenians lived here before us who rules and owns these lands.

Thats right its the Turks. Also we dont owe you anything.

You Greeks tried to take back Istanbul and Anatolia only to lose to us at our weakest time.

Too bad we did not get the Islands and Western Thrace back.

At the end of the day you are not indigenous to these lands.

You also hellenised the Anatolians in other words they were not originally Greek at all.

The better the Greeks and Armenians accept these lands dont belong to them if not I think the Turks have no problem in putting you guys in their place just like we done centuries ago.

A Central Asian Turk has more rights to Anatolia than a greek or an armenian.

Greeks belong to Greece while Armenians belong to Armenia. You guys have no rights in Anatolia. This is the price to pay for treason.

All the villages burnt and our people killed are a testament to this. But yeah keep on crying about the fake ass genocide because you could not wipe us out and take Istanbul back.

You Greeks tried again in Cyprus only to lose the North.
I see it's a habit in this forum to completely ignore the previous post and rumble on about a completely different topic and just spamming 10 different non-cohesive statements. I don't even have to make a new reply to you I'll just copy and paste some of my previous comment so maybe you will try to read my comment from that part and on: "your whole argument only exist if the topic was about who should claim Anatolia,..."

Kansei

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Come on guys. Especially you Mr.Kansai. Do you know a concept called " time"? Have you ever heard?
The boot is on the other foot now man. We are in war against the US proxies. And you are becoming its proxy day by day.

We dont need to beg others to protect us like you.

"Beggers cant be choosers. "
This is precisely their perspective to you.

In time, all of us will see the consequences of your choices.
Also, I want to add strongly that I have never backed up Erdogan even one day. I am sure most of Turkish users are the same. This is something different and you cant understand. You assume that Erdogan is the only problem and when he is out, everything will be ok.
Don't worry trakya_forever, I do realize that they see us as "Beggers Can't be choosers" and to be quite honest I don't like either the U.S as a country and their ideals or that Greece is forced to work for them but your comment is lacking a lot of context. You can't say "We are in war against the US proxies. And you are becoming its proxy day by day." and completely forget that the Turkish Goverment is actively threating to conqueror our land and Erdogan outright supporting the "Blue Homeland" Doctrine. You can't start saying that we are becoming proxies for the U.S's imperial ideals and act like we are betraying righteousness and justice while your country's government is actively trying to find a way to capture our territories.
Also the " We don't need to beg others to protect us like you." is kind of fallacious because we aren't begging anyone. Greece isn't challenging the stauous quo and there isn't any reason why Greece should not use diplomacy to solve it's issues. You can't act like Greece is not a country that takes action independently while Turkey outright does, and doesn't have any consideration on how the U.S will react or sanction them.
Since Turkey is the one who is challenging the status quo and sees that diplomatically no one will accept it , they can act like they are against U.S's imperialism.

Tl,DR: Turkey is a much bigger threat for Greece than U.S's imperialism and accusing Greece
of such aesthetical and philosophical claims like Greece should "not subdue to U.S's ideals of imperialism",
demanding the utopian and impossible feat of Greece's complete independence from anything
relating to the U.S is foolish when Turkey is the one who is "Keeping Greece away
from the bigger goal of facing imperialism" by actively keeping her preoccupied with threats and forcing her to diplomatically reach for the U.S her and basing it's defense and economy on the U.S even more than Greece.

Last edited:

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Posts that violate forum rules have been deleted. You are free in all your messages that do not violate the rules.

Ryder

Veteran Member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I see it's a habit in this forum to completely ignore the previous post and rumble on about a completely different topic and just spamming 10 different non-cohesive statements. I don't even have to make a new reply to you I'll just copy and paste some of my previous comment so maybe you will try to read my comment from that part and on: "your whole argument only exist if the topic was about who should claim Anatolia,..."

Typical victimhood bs.

You know why Mavi Vatan exists to contain Greece's greedy sea taking.

You brought in the USA and France to contain Turkish ambitions. Basically admitting we cant take on the Turks despite Greeks thumping their chests.

Top Bottom