Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan

Gulbuddin Hekmatyar says Afghans consider Pakistan as a ‘second home’

Veteran Afghan politician and Hezb-i-Islami leader Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, who arrived in Islamabad on a three-day visit earlier on Monday, said Afghans think of Pakistan as their second home, a statement issued by the Foreign Office said.

Hekmatyar made these comments during a meeting with Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi at the FO.

During the meeting, the two discussed matters of mutual interest, bilateral relations between the two countries and the Afghan peace process, the statement added. The foreign minister said Pakistan will continue to play the role of a facilitator in the Afghan peace process.

"Prime Minister Imran Khan has said lasting peace can only be achieved through a political settlement accepted by the people of Afghanistan," Qureshi said, adding that he was pleased that Islamabad's stance was now being recognised by the world.

"Intra-Afghan talks provide a unique opportunity to the leadership for establishing lasting peace in the country," the foreign minister said.

During his visit, the Afghan leader is expected to meet President Dr Arif Alvi and Prime Minister Imran Khan in addition to Senate Chairman Sadiq Sanjrani and National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser among others.

He is also expected to speak at a programme of a policy think-tank where he will interact with the media.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the FO had said Hekmatyar's visit would provide an opportunity for exchanging views on the Afghan peace process, strengthening bilateral relations between the two countries as well as people-to-people interaction.

Hekmatyar, who twice served as Afghan prime minister in 1990s, had recently said that India, due to its rivalry with Pakistan, was dissatisfied with the peace process in Afghanistan and it had started supporting local militias to act as spoilers of the peace process.

“China and Pakistan have a common and coordinated position on Afghanistan and not only do they support the peace process, rather they see it as beneficial for their regional interests, especially if it leads to a reduction in India’s presence in Afghanistan,” the Afghan leader had said.

Hekmatyar's visit comes a few weeks after Chairman of Afghanistan's High Council for National Reconciliation Dr Abdullah Abdullah visited Pakistan.

And thats the problem. They consider it so much of a second home that implementation of any security system or customs creates outrage by them and then they burn the flag of the so called 'Second Home'

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
And thats the problem. They consider it so much of a second home that implementation of any security system or customs creates outrage by them and then they burn the flag of the so called 'Second Home'
My friend close brothers often can often have the most bitter relationships. But don't ever forget it wsas not that traitor AQ Khan who enabled Pakistan to go nuclear. But the Afghans. I regard the Af-Pak connundrum as in the Anglo-Irish relationship. The Irish fought the British. The Irish killed British soldiers for decades until at least year 2000. The Irish bombed British town and cities till at least 2000. The Irish claim and still retain claim on British sovereign territory. The Irish openly despised the British Queen. The Irish killed Queens cousin Lord Mountbatten [of the Viceroy of Indian fame]. The Irish almost killed Prime Minister of UK Margaret Thatcher. The Irish bombed 10 Downing Street and almost killed Prime Minister John Major and his ministers in 1994. And it goes on ....

1603124975902.png

The Irish literally blew away centres of major British cities in 1990s. I saw that close up. Over 5,000 people died in the IRA terrorism against UK over 30 years.

Yet. Yet faced with this onslaught probably more than 5 million people of Irish stock continued to live in UK. Even more bizzarely the British-Irish border continued to remain open. Absolutely NO checks were made. Britain had extended the Common Travel Area to Ireland.

Common Travel Area​

The Common Travel Area is an open borders area comprising the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. The British Overseas Territories are not included. Wikipedia

What did this practically mean? Any Irish man or woman could catch a ferry from Dublin in the morning and be living in Manchester, UK by evening. He or she could in the evening make welfare benefit claim and recieve housing benefit and or all other benefits a UK citizen could get. He or she could apply and join the police, army and serve her majesty. This has been kept place right through the bombing by UK.

Let me give you two anecdotes. In 1990s Irish immigreation laws were lax compared to UK. So many Pakistani's woul;d land in Ireland and then after few months catch a ferry to UK without being checked because of the CTA. The only problem was some othem would clear stick out as "pindu" types and the officials might pull them over and they would get exposed. On more than one occasion I went to Ireland to herd a few of them to UK.

A friend had and still has flats and properties in Manchester. Most of his properties were sub-par so he would let them out to welfare claiments. Often he would put the word out in Dublin and many a times he would get called by women refuges in Dublin, Ireland who wanted to place a woman on the run from her abusive partner with him. They just arrived from Ireland and British tax payer payed for the rent and the womans benefits. This was all known.

Yet it continued and still continues.

N

Null/Void

My friend close brothers often can often have the most bitter relationships. But don't ever forget it wsas not that traitor AQ Khan who enabled Pakistan to go nuclear. But the Afghans. I regard the Af-Pak connundrum as in the Anglo-Irish relationship. The Irish fought the British. The Irish killed British soldiers for decades until at least year 2000. The Irish bombed British town and cities till at least 2000. The Irish claim and still retain claim on British sovereign territory. The Irish openly despised the British Queen. The Irish killed Queens cousin Lord Mountbatten [of the Viceroy of Indian fame]. The Irish almost killed Prime Minister of UK Margaret Thatcher. The Irish bombed 10 Downing Street and almost killed Prime Minister John Major and his ministers in 1994. And it goes on ....

View attachment 4534

The Irish literally blew away centres of major British cities in 1990s. I saw that close up. Over 5,000 people died in the IRA terrorism against UK over 30 years.

Yet. Yet faced with this onslaught probably more than 5 million people of Irish stock continued to live in UK. Even more bizzarely the British-Irish border continued to remain open. Absolutely NO checks were made. Britain had extended the Common Travel Area to Ireland.

Common Travel Area​

The Common Travel Area is an open borders area comprising the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. The British Overseas Territories are not included. Wikipedia

What did this practically mean? Any Irish man or woman could catch a ferry from Dublin in the morning and be living in Manchester, UK by evening. He or she could in the evening make welfare benefit claim and recieve housing benefit and or all other benefits a UK citizen could get. He or she could apply and join the police, army and serve her majesty. This has been kept place right through the bombing by UK.

Let me give you two anecdotes. In 1990s Irish immigreation laws were lax compared to UK. So many Pakistani's woul;d land in Ireland and then after few months catch a ferry to UK without being checked because of the CTA. The only problem was some othem would clear stick out as "pindu" types and the officials might pull them over and they would get exposed. On more than one occasion I went to Ireland to herd a few of them to UK.

A friend had and still has flats and properties in Manchester. Most of his properties were sub-par so he would let them out to welfare claiments. Often he would put the word out in Dublin and many a times he would get called by women refuges in Dublin, Ireland who wanted to place a woman on the run from her abusive partner with him. They just arrived from Ireland and British tax payer payed for the rent and the womans benefits. This was all known.

Ahh good ole IRA Days

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan

View attachment 4534

Common Travel Area​

A very interesting take and they are the ones you can actually call brothers since many are actually ethnically linked with them. Our Census dont take into account two major aspects of Afghan Links. The Pathans in Sindh, very much in Karachi and the large large swath of Pathans in Punjab who have literal ancestry and current family ties to people as far as nangahar. Like my family, my great uncle wrote a book on our family genealogy and he was travelling all over FATA, Afghanistan, being received like a brother and being shown Shajras and everything. If you count the pathans of Punjab as well then atleast 1/4th of the country is very much links to Afghanistan, links which through family to family are still alive. Sheikhupura have Malayzai tribes of Pathans and these guys are also linked to Afghanistan and northern Pakistan with many serving in Kabul and State of Kashmir Darbars.

However things are very difficult right and i even i would say sharks with lasers over there because the psych that was scarred in 2008-2015 period has left us in a state of manner where opening of the border is very very hard and as much as i love open borders like the EU where you can travel from kabul to tehran to Islamabad to Delhi and then to Chengdu on a large trip and enjoying life to the fullest, our region is simply not conductive of such. A major reason being the activities o intelligence agencies and promotion of ideologies that would harm the interest of the states. For example if there is open border between Pakistan and Afghanistan then you know very well that NDS and ISI would start moving and RAW and VAJA (Iranian intelligence agency) would not sit on the sideline. Lets secure the borders until we actually stop fighting like maniacs. The problem i personally see with Afghanistan right now, is that it is in a state of freefall into warlord state and extremism. Afghanistan of 70s actually had hopes since Mazar-e-Sharif and herat and Kabul were advanced and looked liked islands from where you can spread advancement. It wouldnt have spread due to the conservative and tribal nature of the people of Afghanistan, but a good starting point. The Afghan Civil war wiped it out. That Civil war damaged Afghanistan in a manner that it may not recover from for decades, perhaps a century or two. It started the Afghan Dark Age and those advanced centers fell to extremists one by one, if there was any hope for the country, it got snuffed out and they are still in the dark ages with their very words they showcase that they are people of a dark age.

You know what is amazing, It took decades to make Kabul like that, the effort, the money and everything. You build and build and build and then one day a power hungry mad maniac starts a siege and bombs to the ground wiping it out. Same with Iran. You build and build and build and then a Mullah takes over and what took decades if not centuries, it immediately removed in a few years. Its both sad and fascinating. Anyhow perhaps in the future but for now, lets develop our western region, have CPEC in full swing .

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
But don't ever forget it wsas not that traitor AQ Khan who enabled Pakistan to go nuclear. But the Afghans.
I am surprised you did not ask me "how" and react in defence of AQKhan?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom