Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

The contingent will play a key role in protection of civilians.​

In Summary
•The Commander noted that the forces are being deployed to a mission that falls under Chapter Seven of the UN Security Council.
•He urged the troops to diligently serve towards delivering on the mandate and strictly observe the rules of engagement so as to remain a credible force as has been demonstrated before in other missions.

1628599509411.png

The KDF soldiers leaving.
Image: KDF

A group of Kenya Defence Forces officers on Tuesday left for the Democratic Republic of Congo on a peace mission.
The contingent will play a key role in protection of civilians, provide security to United Nations personnel and installations.
They are also expected to neutralise armed militia groups in the DRC in line with the United Nations Security Council Resolution.

In his address, Commander of the Kenya Army Lieutenant General Walter Koipaton said the troops were ready for the task as they have undergone training on all aspects of the mission as per KDF and UN requirements.

“I know you are very capable because I have seen you train during my visit at the pre-deployment training grounds and you are ready for this mission," he said.

"I have no doubt that we have trained you to the standards required as you join other contingents."

The Commander noted that the forces are being deployed to a mission that falls under Chapter Seven of the UN Security Council.

He urged the troops to diligently serve towards delivering on the mandate and strictly observe the rules of engagement so as to remain a credible force as has been demonstrated before in other missions.

"...be true Kenyan ambassadors and cultivate good relations with the people of Congo and other contingents operating in the area," he said.

The Commander further urged the troops to remain vigilant as they will be deployed to volatile areas.

The Kenyan contingent joins Nepal, South Africa and Tanzania to form the Force Intervention Brigade.

Attacks by armed militia and inter-communal violence in Congo's restive eastern region have killed over 300 people since the start of the year as government troops and UN peacekeepers struggle to bring stability in the mineral-rich region.

Top Bottom