Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
F16 is a 3 gen though block 70 would be 4th gen. So wouldn’t it be natural to aim for at least a 4.5th gen with KF ?

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
First take-off and landing video of KF-21
Source: Republic of Korea Air Force

KF-21 unreleased flight video

The Defense Acquisition Program Administration announced that it succeeded in flying the first Korean fighter KF-21 at 4:13 p.m. on the 19th.

The KF-21 prototype No. 1, piloted by Major Ahn Joon-hyun of the Air Force's 52nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, took off at 3:40 p.m. and flew about 30 minutes at a speed of 400 kilometers before landing successfully at 4:13.

An official from the Defense Acquisition Program Administration said, "The development of the Korean fighter jet has reached the flight test stage, and the development of Block 1 will end in 2026 after 2,000 supersonic flight tests are conducted and the suitability test of electronic warfare equipment and air-to-air systems is completed."

Also recently, South Korea's Defense Ministry is expected to purchase 20 more F-35s, which are based on the future plan of the Korean Air Force's fighter jets, the FA-50 and KF-21 will be deployed as low-class and middle-class fighters to replace the F-5 and F-16, and the F-35 will be formed by high-class fighters.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Absolutely amazing. It’s normal to have the landing gear unfolded on maiden flight right ?

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
F16 is a 3 gen though block 70 would be 4th gen. So wouldn’t it be natural to aim for at least a 4.5th gen with KF ?
As required by the ROKAF, KF-21 included stealth paint, anti-electronic warfare equipment, and Semi-Recessed Weapon Bay that met the conditions of the 4.5th generation figther. However, the current goal is to develop Block 1 by completing the development of KF-21's electronic warfare equipment and armed system system. Due to the step-by-step development process of KF-21, Block 1 may not include all of these three stealth functions.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
Absolutely amazing. It’s normal to have the landing gear unfolded on maiden flight right ?
Unfortunately, i couldn't find pictures or videos of the KF-21 taking off or landing.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea

Last edited:

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,373
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

The Defense Acquisition Program Administration announced that it succeeded in flying the first Korean fighter KF-21 at 4:13 p.m. on the 19th.

The KF-21 prototype No. 1, piloted by Major Ahn Joon-hyun of the Air Force's 52nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, took off at 3:40 p.m. and flew about 30 minutes at a speed of 400 kilometers before landing successfully at 4:13.

An official from the Defense Acquisition Program Administration said, "The development of the Korean fighter jet has reached the flight test stage, and the development of Block 1 will end in 2026 after 2,000 supersonic flight tests are conducted and the suitability test of electronic warfare equipment and air-to-air systems is completed."

Also recently, South Korea's Defense Ministry is expected to purchase 20 more F-35s, which are based on the future plan of the Korean Air Force's fighter jets, the FA-50 and KF-21 will be deployed as low-class and middle-class fighters to replace the F-5 and F-16, and the F-35 will be formed by high-class fighters.
Congrats SK.

As far as I know most first flight will have the landing gear deployed during the entire flight, probably to minimize the risk of technical problem related to the landing gear.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,097
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
first of all I would like to congratulate the Republic of Korea on the successful maiden flight of the KAI KF-21 Boramae. there's a lot of flight testing ahead and I'm sure they will be just as successful as the maiden flight. also I know that there's some issue on Indonesia's participation on the program but I hope that we honor our commitment and the program moves forward.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
first of all I would like to congratulate the Republic of Korea on the successful maiden flight of the KAI KF-21 Boramae. there's a lot of flight testing ahead and I'm sure they will be just as successful as the maiden flight. also I know that there's some issue on Indonesia's participation on the program but I hope that we honor our commitment and the program moves forward.
This is not a problem. Some nationalist media in Korea have negative views on joint development with Indonesia, but the development cost sharing agreement between Indonesia and Korea is valid until 2026. I really despise the behavior of the Korean media, which produces provocative gossip with negative news reports. It is also now aware that Indonesia imports Rafale from France due to China's threatening actions against Indonesian territorial waters.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
This is not a problem. Some nationalist media in Korea have negative views on joint development with Indonesia, but the development cost sharing agreement between Indonesia and Korea is valid until 2026. I really despise the behavior of the Korean media, which produces provocative gossip with negative news reports. It is also now aware that Indonesia imports Rafale from France due to China's threatening actions against Indonesian territorial waters.
It’s my conviction that KF-21 as a replacement for F16 is going to be a damn nice jet. If you can have tech onboard to to coordinate with something like mius/loyal wingman then you’ll have all the firepower needed.

I would have loved it if Turkey had been a partner in the program.

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,373
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
It’s my conviction that KF-21 as a replacement for F16 is going to be a damn nice jet. If you can have tech onboard to to coordinate with something like mius/loyal wingman then you’ll have all the firepower needed.

I would have loved it if Turkey had been a partner in the program.
I think there is a plan for that, if I am not wrong it will use flying wing design for the loyal wingman.

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,373
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
KF-21 unreleased flight video. it can see the detail of the KF-21 flying.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
1664099837486.png

Photo : YONHAP News

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said that North Korea fired a short-range ballistic missile into the East Sea on Sunday morning.

The JCS said that it detected the launch from an area around Taechon, North Pyongan Province, at 6:53 a.m. toward the East Sea.

It added that the missile reached an altitude of about 60 kilometers and traveled a distance of some 600 kilometers at a top speed of Mach 5.

The JCS said the intelligence authorities of the South and the United States are analyzing other details of the missile and the launch.

Soon after the launch, JCS Chairman Kim Seung-kyum and Commander Paul LaCamera of the South Korea-U.S. Combined Forces Command reportedly had discussions to share the information on the launch.

The two sides also reaffirmed that through the planned South Korea-U.S. maritime drills, they would further bolster the combined defense posture against any provocation and threats from Pyongyang.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom