60 29,148
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

EU, NATO call for de-escalation of tensions in northern Kosovo​

The European Union and NATO urged Serbia and Kosovo on Sunday to de-escalate tensions in northern Kosovo after Pristina banned vehicles with Serbian license plates from entering the country.

"I spoke to @avucic of #Serbia and @albinkurti of #Kosovo about the need to de-escalate in the north of Kosovo. It's vital both Belgrade & Pristina show restraint & return to dialogue," NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on Twitter, referring to Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic and Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti, respectively.

“@NATO_KFOR's mandate remains to ensure a safe & secure environment & freedom of movement for all," he added.

The Kosovo Force, or KFOR, is a NATO-led peacekeeping mission operating in Kosovo since June 1999 to build peace and stability in the area.

Meanwhile, EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell said in a statement that "Serbia and Kosovo need to unconditionally de-escalate the situation on the ground by immediately withdrawing special police units and the dismantling of roadblocks."

"Any further provocations or unilateral and uncoordinated actions are unacceptable," Borrell added.

To defuse the situation and agree on the way forward, the two countries must find solutions, Borrell said.

"The EU will actively support these efforts. Both Kosovo and Serbian leaders are fully responsible for any risks to the safety and well-being of local communities in both Kosovo and Serbia."

He also highlighted his close contacts with Stoltenberg, adding: "KFOR plays a key role in supporting regional stability in the Western Balkans."

Tensions between Kosovo and Serbia

The ban early Monday on vehicles with Serbian license plates has created tensions between Serbia and Kosovo.

Kosovo's Interior Ministry said vehicles with Serbian license plates are not allowed to cross the border and drivers would need to have a temporary plate.

The ministry pointed out that a free traffic circulation agreement signed between the two countries in 2016 expired on Sept. 15.

Temporary license plates were placed on windshields and rear windows of vehicles while original plates were covered.

Prime Minister Kurti said the decision was not aimed at Serbs in Kosovo.

"Our aim is not provocation or instability. Everything that is done is lawful. We are only implementing what is required of an expired agreement," he said.

But President Vucic said Pristina has violated every agreement up to now.

The former Serbian province of Kosovo declared independence in February 2008 and is recognized by more than 100 countries, including the US, UK, France, Germany and Turkey.

Belgrade, however, still claims Kosovo as a breakaway province.

EU peacekeeping force begins ‘Quick Response 2021’ drill in Bosnia​

The EU peacekeeping force (EUFOR) on Saturday began the "Quick Response 2021" military exercise in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Turkish soldiers serving in EUFOR, Bosnia and Herzegovina Armed Forces and Bosnia and Herzegovina Research and Protection Agency (SIPA) officials are participating in the exercise on the deployment and readiness of EUFOR's reserve forces.

In a statement, EUFOR Commander Maj. Gen. Alexander Platzer said that they are hosting the largest and most comprehensive exercise of 2021, and the soldiers will gain great experience.

The drill will continue until Oct. 1 at Butmir base in Sarajevo.

By the Presidency of Kosovo Turkish Representative Committee; While serving in the Kosovo Force (KFOR), Hv.Eng.Asb.Bçvş. Hüseyin Kutlu's Martyrdom Anniversary Commemoration Ceremony was held at Dragaş and Kosovo Force (KFOR) Headquarters.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,707
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think it’s important that Kosovo ascertains their own national policy and quickly responds against any Serbian policy trying to curb their independance.

Serbia isn’t going to start anything. But with UCAV success that’s a bit shaky ground tbh.

Still I hope Kosovo and Albania can form alliance and close cooperation to deter anything.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Let me put some light on this news, Kosovo police try to storm pharmacy due ilegal pharmacy products trade as any state would and police used force due local serbs gathering and trying to prevent them.
So, it is convinient for serbian authorities to play their game towards Kosovo as the local authorities harras and endanger local population. In overal dirty game from both sides as their was similar examples from opposite side.
And one small notice Raska is also historically called Sandzak and in present day to by locals.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
79 16,383
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Let me put some light on this news, Kosovo police try to storm pharmacy due ilegal pharmacy products trade as any state would and police used force due local serbs gathering and trying to prevent them.
So, it is convinient for serbian authorities to play their game towards Kosovo as the local authorities harras and endanger local population. In overal dirty game from both sides as their was similar examples from opposite side.
And one small notice Raska is also historically called Sandzak and in present day to by locals.
I hear about political tension with the Serbs in Bosnia to. What is the situation there?

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I hear about political tension with the Serbs in Bosnia to. What is the situation there?
Not good, it is related somehow also to Kosovo. Serbia treats serbrs administration unit as thier war booty and any meaningfull progress towards nato and eu is blocked by them. They are in position to do so as the architects of our administrative structure gave them that kind of option.
Aparently after decade USA decided to give some focus here and they wil soon anounce further sanctions to individuals amd companies which obstruct that kind of processes, will see if EU will follow that.
Solution is actualy quite simple, if EU is willing to implement same strategy and policy as in Cyprus, sitation would be solved within months by my opinion which is some kind of historical irony :), where i see problem is that nobody in europe does not want to see functional state dominated by muslim population and that is why we will not get same treatment like cypriot greeks.
Meanwhile germans get high quality human resource for their industries and society which is constantly hungry for work force with cultural and racial bonus :)

Last edited:

Bosanski Vojnik

Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Let America sell them Reapers or something... Albanians (even if majority of them are "Muslim") hate Turks a lot and have always seen us as enemies. Kosovo is America's narco- protectorate in the Middle of the Balkans anyway so let them deal with it all.

lol so you base your political support on what a few basement dwellers (who probably have never been to Albania in their lives) write online? How Childish.

Bosanski Vojnik

Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina

I don't think it's a game. Something serious is at work. "illegal pharmacy products" is just a cover. Northern Kosovo is crawling with Russian GRU & Serbian BIA agents. Kosovan special police probably wanted to arrest some individuals or gather some materials as evidence but the operation ended when the Serb mobs gathered en masse in North Mitrovice .

I have never seen a Serbian leader using such militaristic & conflict statements since the days of Milosevic. What's also concerning is that there is a joint Russian-Serbian air defence exercise that starts this weekend. It will most likely be a cover for Russia to send SAM's and other military equipment to Serbia in order to encourage their Armed Forces to launch an incursion into North Kosovo. Serbia is also due to receive another Pantsir S1 battery and Kornet ATGMs by December.

If NATO does nothing then they are truly a braindead organisation as Macron has previously stated.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
lol so you base your political support on what a few basement dwellers (who probably have never been to Albania in their lives) write online? How Childish.
I know a lot albanians here in switzerland, i have never seen one who had positive views of turks, serbs always appeared more friendly towards turks for some reason.
Bosnians on the other hand are the complete opposite, each one i have met had warm feelings towards turks.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I don't think it's a game. Something serious is at work. "illegal pharmacy products" is just a cover. Northern Kosovo is crawling with Russian GRU & Serbian BIA agents. Kosovan special police probably wanted to arrest some individuals or gather some materials as evidence but the operation ended when the Serb mobs gathered en masse in North Mitrovice .

I have never seen a Serbian leader using such militaristic & conflict statements since the days of Milosevic. What's also concerning is that there is a joint Russian-Serbian air defence exercise that starts this weekend. It will most likely be a cover for Russia to send SAM's and other military equipment to Serbia in order to encourage their Armed Forces to launch an incursion into North Kosovo. Serbia is also due to receive another Pantsir S1 battery and Kornet ATGMs by December.

If NATO does nothing then they are truly a braindead organisation as Macron has previously stated.

I mostly agree with Vucic's behavior comparing it to Milosevic below his peace, loving, caring surfaces.

thing is that conditions are drastically changed and other actors are not helpless as in 90'ies, do not see that serbia can enforce anything by military means, on the contrary.

Last edited:

Bosanski Vojnik

Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I mostly agree with Vucic's behavior comparing it to Milosevic below his peace, loving, caring surfaces.

thing is that conditions are drastically changed and other actors are not helpless as in 90'ies, do not see that serbia can enforce anything by military means, on the contrary.

If Serbia does anything it would be a limited invasion of the North using Russian hybrid model. Patchless Soldiers, proxy army and Artillery support + drone support from Serbia itself.

Kosovo has a small army of it's own beside the ROSU special police but they lack heavy armour & artillery. Not to mention they are a small force of 5,000. KFOR is their only hope. If KFOR decide to sit it out and be cowards (which I suspect some of them like Italians and Hungarians would) then they are susceptible to being invaded.

I hope Albania would get involved but I am not too keen on the state of their Armed Forces. They have not fought in a conflict since WW2 and lack organisational skills that would be needed to protect Kosovo territory adequately.

Bosanski Vojnik

Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I know a lot albanians here in switzerland, i have never seen one who had positive views of turks, serbs always appeared more friendly towards turks for some reason.
Bosnians on the other hand are the complete opposite, each one i have met had warm feelings towards turks.

This is anecdotal hubris. The majority of Albanians support Turkey & vice versa. The friendly and somewhat brotherly relations between two countries have gone on for over a hundred years. I am sure there are even factual statistics out there which can be searched online that prove it.

and lol at trusting Serbs more over them. You really want to go down that route?

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
This is anecdotal hubris. The majority of Albanians support Turkey & vice versa. The friendly and somewhat brotherly relations between two countries have gone on for over a hundred years. I am sure there are even factual statistics out there which can be searched online that prove it.

and lol at trusting Serbs more over them. You really want to go down that route?
Just telling my observations, and where did i say that i trust anyone more than the other?

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
79 16,383
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
If Kosovo want to have a real chance then they should arm themselves good with ATGMs and SHORADs. Kosovo haves the capability to organize decent paramilitary force and create problems for a Serbian invading force but they should have the means. Even if they have it in the long term the low number of human resources could play a critical role.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
If Serbia does anything it would be a limited invasion of the North using Russian hybrid model. Patchless Soldiers, proxy army and Artillery support + drone support from Serbia itself.

Kosovo has a small army of it's own beside the ROSU special police but they lack heavy armour & artillery. Not to mention they are a small force of 5,000. KFOR is their only hope. If KFOR decide to sit it out and be cowards (which I suspect some of them like Italians and Hungarians would) then they are susceptible to being invaded.

I hope Albania would get involved but I am not too keen on the state of their Armed Forces. They have not fought in a conflict since WW2 and lack organisational skills that would be needed to protect Kosovo territory adequately.
Bro,not gonna happen, Kosovo has full control of outer borders.

You overestimate serbian capabilities, on the other hand it is better that Albania does not involve ar all in security matters, in that sense they are disgrace and i am almost 100 pcs sure that Kosovo establisment are better to relly on themself for possible wider conflict scenario with Serbia.

No offence to @Lool .

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Our Bosnian brothers should not be afraid. If a war breaks out, the Turkish Armed Forces will not hesitate to intervene.
Thank you brother, no doubt about it but we are not so weak like at 92', what we need is only small fine tuning of our capabilities and your assistance in that regard would be and is much appreciated and what is most important we have legitimacy, on the other hand serbs are like much softer variant of Nagorno Karabagh, they are not comfortable with position within Bosnia and trying all their best to obstruct country progress as they see that on the long run their whole political, demographic and economical position is unsustainable.
Here we play patient game but with both eyes open. Thanks again for concern and support.

EternalTurk

Reactions
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

Çok doğru söylüyorsun kardeş.

Albanians in Australia don't like Turks, intact I see a lot of resentment against the Turk. Where as Bosnians are very warm towards us..

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom