PM: BAF to get high-performance fighter planes

Baron

Reactions
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I am not a Pakistani.

Although, I have been accused of being a Bangladeshi, a Pakistani, a "South Asian Muslim" and "Arap" by various members.

By your reckoning, there exist no "colonies" today.

Saudi Arabia has purchased various weapons from China, Pakistan purchased weapons from China, Europe, USA, Russia, Turkey and others.

The Syrian regime, Latin American regimes subservient to the USA, Myanmar, Al Saud regime, the regimes in Kuwait, Morocco, Egypt, Chad, Mali, or even the Afghan government installed by the USA can not be called a 'stooge' by your reckoning.

All of them could be said to maintain cordial relations with more than one country. All of them may have purchased some token weapons from multiple suppliers.

I am not sure how that is supposed to indicate their independence.

As outlined by the author of that article, the leaders of both major political parties in your country made a "pilgrimage" to India on the eve of your last general election. Those "pilgrimages" were made with only one objective in mind - to convince India to help them return to power.

If every single one of your major political parties require the consent of Indian administration to return to power, that is definitive evidence that you are an Indian "colony" as much as Bhutan is.

As much as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Jordan, Morocco are American "colonies" or North Korea is a Chinese "colony" or the Syrian regime is controlled from Moscow.

You could certainly say Pakistan's role towards China is equally subservient. That would not be a highly contentious statement. There is certainly elements of truth in that. Therefore, you would stand vindicated if you say that.

However, if you are trying to explain how the current regime in Bangladesh is not subservient to India by pointing to some innocuous actions that do not harm the interests of India, whatsoever, then I am afraid your effort has been futile.

You could point to Turkey and say it is subservient to the USA. Perhaps, the current regime is not as subservient to the USA as the previous regimes had been, but the fact remains, when the interests of the USA and Turkey collide, even within the bounds of the territory of the Republic of Turkey, it is the interests of the USA that take primacy over the interests of Turkey. A prominent example would be the case of Pastor Brunson.

You could point to India and make similar accusations. You could point to Germany and Japan and make similar accusations.

Canada, Australia, Brazil, Belgium, Norway, South Korea, Taiwan and a whole host of other countries could be accused similarly.

However, those countries are not the topic of discussion.

This topic discusses Bangladeshi Air Force procurement plans.

I expressed doubt about such plans.

I am not a Pakistani.

Although, I have been accused of being a Bangladeshi, a Pakistani, a "South Asian Muslim" and "Arap" by various members.

By your reckoning, there exist no "colonies" today.

Saudi Arabia has purchased various weapons from China, Pakistan purchased weapons from China, Europe, USA, Russia, Turkey and others.

The Syrian regime, Latin American regimes subservient to the USA, Myanmar, Al Saud regime, the regimes in Kuwait, Morocco, Egypt, Chad, Mali, or even the Afghan government installed by the USA can not be called a 'stooge' by your reckoning.

All of them could be said to maintain cordial relations with more than one country. All of them may have purchased some token weapons from multiple suppliers.

I am not sure how that is supposed to indicate their independence.

As outlined by the author of that article, the leaders of both major political parties in your country made a "pilgrimage" to India on the eve of your last general election. Those "pilgrimages" were made with only one objective in mind - to convince India to help them return to power.

If every single one of your major political parties require the consent of Indian administration to return to power, that is definitive evidence that you are an Indian "colony" as much as Bhutan is.

As much as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Jordan, Morocco are American "colonies" or North Korea is a Chinese "colony" or the Syrian regime is controlled from Moscow.

You could certainly say Pakistan's role towards China is equally subservient. That would not be a highly contentious statement. There is certainly elements of truth in that. Therefore, you would stand vindicated if you say that.

However, if you are trying to explain how the current regime in Bangladesh is not subservient to India by pointing to some innocuous actions that do not harm the interests of India, whatsoever, then I am afraid your effort has been futile.

You could point to Turkey and say it is subservient to the USA. Perhaps, the current regime is not as subservient to the USA as the previous regimes had been, but the fact remains, when the interests of the USA and Turkey collide, even within the bounds of the territory of the Republic of Turkey, it is the interests of the USA that take primacy over the interests of Turkey. A prominent example would be the case of Pastor Brunson.

You could point to India and make similar accusations. You could point to Germany and Japan and make similar accusations.

Canada, Australia, Brazil, Belgium, Norway, South Korea, Taiwan and a whole host of other countries could be accused similarly.

However, those countries are not the topic of discussion.

This topic discusses Bangladeshi Air Force procurement plans.

I expressed doubt about such plans.

To prove me wrong, the BAF only needs to procure "high performance fighter planes" within the next two years in adequate quantity to pose a threat to the Indian Air Force Eastern Air Command.

Would you consider that reasonable? I believe that is a reasonable expectation.

If the Bangladeshi regime is indeed not subservient to Indian interests, they would face no problems whatsoever in acquiring however many high performance fighter planes they require to threaten the interests of Indian Eastern Air Command or the interests of Myanmar within the next two years.

Otherwise, I would stand vindicated.

P.S. The actions of the current Bangladeshi regime during the last 14 years are sufficient to convince me that nothing that irks India would be done by them. I do not need another two years to prove a well known fact.

Would you consider that reasonable? I believe that is a reasonable expectation.

If the Bangladeshi regime is indeed not subservient to Indian interests, they would face no problems whatsoever in acquiring however many high performance fighter planes they require to threaten the interests of Indian Eastern Air Command or the interests of Myanmar within the next two years.
I am now more than sure that you are either a westerner who thinks that India is a "superpawa" or an Indian sanghi.

However,What makes you think that its even possible for BAF to have multiple squadrons of a fighter for which it didnt even signed a deal?

I will give the example of no other but your "superpowder" India.It took them nearly 10 years of drama to land the first batch of 36 rafales in an already overpriced deal.I will not say that its totally their fault(not totally but most of it).Buying fighters are not like buying toys they take time they take large sums of money.And not only india even many devoloped countries face the same problem when it comes to adding fighters.And this gets even worst if you dont have proper infastructure(which is the case for BD).

And then here you are,saying that if BD does not gets any high performance fighters in 2 years then our government is "subservient" to Indian interests!!!
😰😰😰😂😂😂😂😂😨😨😨Wow!!
I can do nothing but laugh.....

Now,lets come to the main part of it.As I said before we currently lack the required infastructure to add multiple squadrons of fighter aircrafts.

For example,4 new airbases are currently under construction.

1.BAF bangabandhu at Dhaka.
2.BAF sheikh Haseena at Cox's Bazar.
3.BAF airbase in Barisal.
4.BAF airbase in Sylhet.

As an ADDITION to bases currently in service.

And most interestingly it has recently established ADIZ over BD .something only 21(might be more,I dont remember)countries in the world currently has.

And be sure,that they are not doing this to make aircraft museums for our 36 F7s and some near obsolete migs.

Acc.to FG2030 air force plans to have 6×squadrons of fighters by 2030 and 2× squadrons/32 are going to be high performence fighters(Rafale/Eurofighters).And other 4×squadrons will be replacements of the F7s we have in service.The first batch(16)of high performance fighters are going to be in service by 2025-26.And after that another squadron will be ordered,which will be delivered by 2030.The deal might be announced in 2022 air show at Cox's Bazar.
As of the replacements of F7,It might take time(even after 2030 to replace the F7BGIs which were bought quite recently compared other F7 variants currently in service in BAF).
Yes,BAF plans to have at least 10 squadrons(160)of fighters but its impossible before 2040.The numbers might be small compared to India but its enough to have air superiority over a country nearly 5 times small than Pakistan.And given that we currently dont have any problem with India that might lead to an war,its more than enough.

So,nothing is going to come in next 2 even 3 years(the deal would be signed though...).And I already gave enough reasons why.

And now plz dont say that our defence spending is small because we are under Indian control.1.2% defence spending annually is more than enough for a devoloping country.Pakistan recently destroyed their economy because of over spending and Indian economy is struggling to maintain positive GDP growth since two years.And I would not be surprised if one day Indian defence budget becomes larger than Pakistans total GDP even if Indian economy faces the same crisis for the next 20+ years.

So,overspending is not an option if you want to keep in competion with a country nearly 20-30(actually more) times your size and with 8 times larger population.It may seem cool to the average Pakistani that even after being the poorest country in south asia they have one of the largest military on earth but after 20/30 years............

Last edited:

Micheal Corleone

Reactions
Nation of residence
Ukraine
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Thank you for this highly useful piece of information.

Would you be kind enough to explain how that dovetails with the current Bangladeshi regime's subservient nature to the USA-India axis?
You can’t expect a poor developing country to not be influenced by bigger powers, Bangladesh’s position in regards to india is gradually changing, I would refrain from call it subservient nature. Yes the regime has a lot of bootlickers but trying to stage a revolution doesn’t do any good

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
It says in the article below that Italy has offered Eurofigher Typhoon to BAF as multipurpose fighter jet.

I know they may be slightly older and pricetag of 101 mio. usd is quite high according to the article below

Wouldn't F16 block V not be good for multipurpose ?

Pricetag aprox 70 mio. usd

Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,778
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
It says in the article below that Italy has offered Eurofigher Typhoon to BAF as multipurpose fighter jet.

Well, it was already clear when EFT's magazine called us potential customer. Our PM and Italian air chief visited each other's country before. But i think this news is coming after the visit of Leonardo's delegation.

I know they may be slightly older and pricetag of 101 mio. usd is quite high according to the article below

And BAF already asked for almost $3 billion.

Wouldn't F16 block V not be good for multipurpose ?

We haven't signed GSOMIA and FM already made it clear that except economic sector, we won't side with anyone. And the US strings attached to it's military weapons are clearly hindrances in any deal. It's good that we learnt lesson from Turkey (F-35), Iraq, Pakistan (F-16) matters. I hope we deal with US carefully. Rest of the fleet can be modernized with J-10/JF-17.

https://defencehub.live/threads/bangladesh’s-priority-is-development-not-defence-equipment-foreign-minister.5491/

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom