Casual Discussion Space debris

TomJo

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Most space debris is created during explosions or collisions of spacecraft. Also, one of the major sources of space debris is the testing of anti-satellite weapons. For example, in 2007, China destroyed its FengYun-1C satellite with a medium-range missile. After the destruction of the satellite, the catalogue NORAD (the register of space objects maintained by the North American Aerospace Defense Command) added 3,300 pieces of space debris, which increased the catalogue by a quarter.
Who is going to fight this and how?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,079
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Most space debris is created during explosions or collisions of spacecraft. Also, one of the major sources of space debris is the testing of anti-satellite weapons. For example, in 2007, China destroyed its FengYun-1C satellite with a medium-range missile. After the destruction of the satellite, the catalogue NORAD (the register of space objects maintained by the North American Aerospace Defense Command) added 3,300 pieces of space debris, which increased the catalogue by a quarter.
Who is going to fight this and how?
A good way of eliminating space debris can be by sending small tug/push rockets to attach themselves to the debris and push them towards the earth where they can land on safe areas. Perhaps some materials can also be salvaged that way. This can be an expensive way but if small pushers can be made with sufficient brains and power they can do a good job.

TomJo

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
As far as I understand, this method is already recognized as ineffective. The cost of using such a device will many times exceed the possible losses from space debris.
Space tugs are being discussed that can correct the orbit of satellites to extend their lifespan. Also, such a device must be compact in order to be part of the rocket payload. Or the cost of launching such a device should be very low.
I believe that disposal orbits and combustion in the atmosphere will still be used to get rid of debris from working orbits.
Also, I'm wondering if space tugs can be mistaken for anti-satellite weapons and banned?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,079
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
As far as I understand, this method is already recognized as ineffective. The cost of using such a device will many times exceed the possible losses from space debris.
Space tugs are being discussed that can correct the orbit of satellites to extend their lifespan. Also, such a device must be compact in order to be part of the rocket payload. Or the cost of launching such a device should be very low.
I believe that disposal orbits and combustion in the atmosphere will still be used to get rid of debris from working orbits.
Also, I'm wondering if space tugs can be mistaken for anti-satellite weapons and banned?
Licensed debris companies can make expeditions into orbit in which a number of debris pieces can be targeted each time. Their activities can be monitored for suspicious activity by third parties.

Space sweepers is the latest space film I have seen although technically not very relevant.

TomJo

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
The 18th Space Control Squadron of the Space Force (USA) is engaged in monitoring space debris and preventing possible accidents. It tracks all objects in space and predicts possible incidents with the help of radar and optical surveillance equipment. The unit works with both commercial satellite operators and scientific missions. It allows active satellites to be dodged from collisions using engines.
But I have not heard of companies that clean up space debris. Do you mean some kind of working company or something that exists only in theory like a sticky satellite?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,079
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The 18th Space Control Squadron of the Space Force (USA) is engaged in monitoring space debris and preventing possible accidents. It tracks all objects in space and predicts possible incidents with the help of radar and optical surveillance equipment. The unit works with both commercial satellite operators and scientific missions. It allows active satellites to be dodged from collisions using engines.
But I have not heard of companies that clean up space debris. Do you mean some kind of working company or something that exists only in theory like a sticky satellite?
My statement is a forward looking statement.
It can be done for a consortium of companies that produce space debris.
Like carbon taxes a debris cleaning charge can be a levied and used against cleaning space.
Private companies can develop technologies to do the cleaning.
There are many space startup if they can be tasked to do such work it can be boost for the space industry.

TomJo

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
May be. Additional taxes though ... It seems more likely to me that cleaning equipment should be part of the rocket's payload. It could be a multipurpose space tug that, in one mission, can launch a satellite into orbit, correct the orbit of another satellite, and remove one large or several small debris. Or something like that.

TomJo

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,079
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I found one pretty clear program from the new space company. Here is how they see it: https://www.skyrora.com/post/skyrora-s-space-tug-gives-space-sustainability-dream-a-lift And here the device itself is described: https://www.skyrora.com/space-tug A clear deadline, regularly and successfully conducted tests indicate serious intentions. So far, I have not seen any more programs with such clear goals.
The buzzword here is reignitable, their upper stage rocket is reignitable several times.
My suggestion is to take dozens of small robotic thrusters and unleash them on space debris to grab onto them and push them towards reentry points. This would be done from a larger space vehicle that would take these space drones into orbit. I have no clue how much fuel they would need to reposition a sizable piece of debris but I guess it shouldn't be all that much.

TomJo

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Yes. And also the space tug is small enough to be part of a payload. This means you can split the launch cost with another payload. Hope to see when this is brought to life.
Maybe they'll come up with something else.
It seems to me that in the future there will be new rules for everything that is put into orbit. Something like: everything that is launched into orbit must have a clear plan for self-removal.

Top Bottom