Sri Lanka cancels Imran Khan address to Parliament, didn’t want him raising Kashmir

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 822
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
Sri Lanka has cancelled a planned address to its Parliament by Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan next week, apparently because of concerns that he could rake up the Kashmir issue.

Officials cited Covid-19-related restrictions as the reason for the move, though people familiar with developments in Colombo said on condition of anonymity that the Sri Lankan government had done a re-think following discussions on the implications of Khan raising the Kashmir issue in his speech.

Sri Lanka’s Speaker Mahinda Abeywardena had told leaders of political parties during a meeting last week that Khan would address the Parliament during his two-day visit beginning on February 22. The address was scheduled for February 24, and Khan is scheduled to meet President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa and foreign minister Dinesh Gunawardena during the visit.

1613686866371.png

“The planned address to Parliament doesn’t appear to have been well thought through. There were considerable discussions within the government at which the possibility of Prime Minister Khan referring to the Kashmir issue came up,” said one of the people cited above.

Realising the ramifications of such a development, the Sri Lankan side considered it more prudent to call off the address to Parliament, the people said.

It is the Pakistan government’s stated policy to raise the Kashmir issue at international forums, especially since the Indian government scrapped Jammu and Kashmir’s special status in August 2019. Pakistan even raised the Kashmir issue during a virtual meeting of SAARC leaders convened by India last year to discuss ways to counter the Covid-19 pandemic.

The sergeant-at-arms of Sri Lanka Parliament, Narendra Fernando, was quoted by the Colombo Gazette as saying that foreign minister Gunawardena had informed officials that Khan’s proposed visit to the Parliament complex “will not take place”. Fernando also said Gunawardena had informed Parliament that Khan’s visit would go ahead as scheduled.

Reports in the Sri Lankan media also quoted foreign secretary Jayanath Colombage as saying that the Speaker had informed the government that he would be unable to ensure full attendance in Parliament because of the pandemic.

The Pakistan government had made a request for Khan to address the Parliament. The last foreign leader to address Sri Lanka’s Parliament was Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2015.

Khan will be the first head of state to visit Sri Lanka since the Covid-19 outbreak last year. His visit is being seen in Sri Lanka as crucial to gain the support of Pakistan and other Muslim countries ahead of a hearing on the island country’s human rights record, especially during the war with the LTTE, at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on February 24.

Last week, Khan had welcomed Sri Lanka’s assurance regarding allowing the burial of Muslim coronavirus victims instead of the forcible cremation of their bodies.

The visit also comes at a time when ties between India and Sri Lanka have been affected by Colombo’s unilateral decision to develop the East Container Terminalat Colombo port through a state-run body instead of under a trilateral agreement signed with India and Japan.

Both India and Japan have protested against the decision. Reports have suggested Sri Lanka has instead offered to allow India and Japan to develop the West Container Terminal at Colombo port.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/worl...ddress-to-its-parliament-101613567465979.html

Paro

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
They'll keep seeing these kind of rejections a lot more. They can only play the Kashmir card for so long until geopolitics gets bored of the same hand again and again. Imran should come up with something more interesting than PR stunts, not that it will affect the ground realities anytime soon until they have an economy that's not on life support.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
They'll keep seeing these kind of rejections a lot more. They can only play the Kashmir card for so long until geopolitics gets bored of the same hand again and again. Imran should come up with something more interesting than PR stunts, not that it will affect the ground realities anytime soon until they have an economy that's not on life support.
No one even buys their story on Kashmir. It's a dead horse they keep flogging for their internal consumption. They only had a chance in 1965 to take it. Once they couldn't, I am sure their troops and rulers saw the writing on the wall.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
apparently because of concerns that he could rake up the Kashmir issue.
So tell me when did they realize PM Imran Khan might "rake up Kashmir" today, yesterday, before or after the "planned visit". I mean PM Imran Khan has been speaking about Kashmir since he assumed office over two years ago.

Or was it they made this hidden discovery and then panicked?

N

Null/Void

In grand scheme of things Sri Lanka is basically caught between Indian and Chinese geopolitical tensions thats just the bigger picture

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
So tell me when did they realize PM Imran Khan might "rake up Kashmir" today, yesterday, before or after the "planned visit". I mean PM Imran Khan has been speaking about Kashmir since he assumed office over two years ago.

Or was it they made this hidden discovery and then panicked?
Doesn't every elected / selected Pak PM /Dictator speak about Kashmir? It's their right of passage one would think.

E

ekemenirtu

In grand scheme of things Sri Lanka is basically caught between Indian and Chinese geopolitical tensions thats just the bigger picture

China is mostly a nonplayer in Sri Lanka, I reckon.

India has been an active interventionist player.

This decision, if true, would indicate the same.

Indian influence on Sri Lanka due to the disparity in size, technology, military might and geopolitical clout led to this status for Sri Lanka (and other unfortunate neighbours of India).

I believe one such instance is the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution of Sri Lanka, which was forced upon gunpoint by India. Foisted upon the hapless, powerless, less numerous Sri Lankans.

You may also recall how Indians were involved in actively aiding an infamous terrorist outfit that lasted well over three decades, hurting, killing, bombing, maiming tens of thousands of innocent civilians. The outfit was more famously known by its abbreviated form, LTTE.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
China is mostly a nonplayer in Sri Lanka, I reckon.

India has been an active interventionist player.

This decision, if true, would indicate the same.

Indian influence on Sri Lanka due to the disparity in size, technology, military might and geopolitical clout led to this status for Sri Lanka (and other unfortunate neighbours of India).

I believe one such instance is the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution of Sri Lanka, which was forced upon gunpoint by India. Foisted upon the hapless, powerless, less numerous Sri Lankans.

You may also recall how Indians were involved in actively aiding an infamous terrorist outfit that lasted well over three decades, hurting, killing, bombing, maiming tens of thousands of innocent civilians. The outfit was more famously known by its abbreviated form, LTTE.
Do you know what led to the birth of the LTTE?

E

ekemenirtu

Do you know what led to the birth of the LTTE?

I believe the answer to that question has no relation to the Pakistani PM Imran Khan's address to the Sri Lankan parliament. Do you think the case is otherwise?

E

ekemenirtu

You brought up the LTTE, not I

I mentioned LTTE to illustrate the horrible impact of Indian intervention in its neighbouring countries.

If you are averse to the LTTE, I could mention some other parties backed by India as well.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
I mentioned LTTE to illustrate the horrible impact of Indian intervention in its neighbouring countries.

If you are averse to the LTTE, I could mention some other parties backed by India as well.
Sure. Let me know.

E

ekemenirtu

Sure. Let me know.
kulbhushan-jadhav_650x400_81515054315.jpg

Does this person seem familiar to you?

He was arrested in the Pakistani province of Balochistan. He served in the Indian Navy. Entering Pakistan from Iran, he worked under a nom de guerre of Hussain Mubarak Patel.

I suppose further information on his identity or modus operandi would not be required. They can be easily gleaned from a quick search.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India

He was arrested in the Pakistani province of Balochistan. He served in the Indian Navy. Entering Pakistan from Iran, he worked under a nom de guerre of Hussain Mubarak Patel.

I suppose further information on his identity or modus operandi would not be required. They can be easily gleaned from a quick search.
He is a retired naval officer who was kidnapped by Pakistani authorities from Iran.

Paro

Reactions
Nation of residence
India

download.jpeg

Does this person seem Familiar to you?
he was sentenced to death by India, accepted as a citizen of Pakistan by The PAK PM and NSA.

download (1).jpeg

Or this guy? An Indian national booked on terrorist charges residing in Pakistan. The whole of pak is being screwed by FATF. I'm sure you know who he is you don't even need to google.

download.jpeg

Or this guy rotting in some hole somewhere. Or probably in an unmarked grave.

Last edited:
E

ekemenirtu

He is a retired naval officer who was kidnapped by Pakistani authorities from Iran.

You should attach non-Indian sources for such claims.

You should be cognizant of the fact that Indian government will not admit to any of its crimes or any of its intelligence failures, for obvious reasons.

You may recall that Indians have had to concoct stories of victory against China. A notable example is the supposed war against China in 1967 which Indians claim that they have won.

India’s little known victory over China in 1967, which had a significant impact in the future course of events South Asia on Saturday, took the centre stage with a discussion on a recently...

As Indian media and Indian successive governments have proven themselves unable to report factual accounts of historical events, you should be prepared to be met with scorn everytime you regurgitate Indian media or government accounts.

One convenient way to avoid such scorn is to cite neutral accounts from disinterested observers.

E

ekemenirtu

View attachment 14553

Does this person seem Familiar to you?
he was sentenced to death by India, accepted as a citizen of Pakistan by The PAK PM and NSA.

View attachment 14556

Or this guy? An Indian national booked on terrorist charges residing in Pakistan. The whole of pak is being screwed by FATF. I'm sure you know who he is you don't even need to google.

View attachment 14559

Or this guy rotting in some hole somewhere. Or probably in an unmarked grave.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any of them.

Could you provide some clues on their identity and how the are related to Sri Lanka's supposed refusal to allow the Pakistani PM to address the Lankan parliament?

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India

You should be cognizant of the fact that Indian government will not admit to any of its crimes or any of its intelligence failures, for obvious reasons.

You may recall that Indians have had to concoct stories of victory against China. A notable example is the supposed war against China in 1967 which Indians claim that they have won.

As Indian media and Indian successive governments have proven themselves unable to report factual accounts of historical events, you should be prepared to be met with scorn everytime you regurgitate Indian media or government accounts.

One convenient way to avoid such scorn is to cite neutral accounts from disinterested observers.
Do you have any neutral sources which explicitly state that Jadhav was/is a terrorist. Pakistan claims he was given a trial - just let me know the name of his lawyer in the military trial which allegedly took place.

Jackdaws

Experienced member
Reactions
1 1,582
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India

And here is a neutral source for 1967 —

Says India defeated in 1962 against China.

Says China defeated against India in 1967.

E

ekemenirtu

Do you have any neutral sources which explicitly state that Jadhav was/is a terrorist. Pakistan claims he was given a trial - just let me know the name of his lawyer in the military trial which allegedly took place.

Yadav in his confessional statement that has been on air in Pakistan confirmed that he entered Pakistan illegally via Iran, and was involved in subversive activities in Balochistan and Karachi.

The ICJ is currently hearing an Indian petition challenging Pakistan s refusal to grant consular access to the spy.

Major powers told of Indian spy's arrest​

'Jadhav's confessions vindicate Pakistan's stance on Indian- sponsored terrorism'​

Pakistan has apprised the European Union and the world's "major capitals" about the Indian spy Kulbhushan Jadhav's arrest from Balochistan who confessed carrying out subversion operations against Pakistan from Chahbahar Iranian port city under a Muslim name Hussain Mubarak Patel.

Top Bottom