Reactions
64 7,384
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh

TADTE 2023: NCSIST develops enhanced variants of Sky Bow III SAM system​

by Kapil Kajal Sep 15, 2023, 13:05 PM

Taiwan's National Chung-Shan Institute of Science & Technology (NCSIST) has developed two upgraded variants of the Sky Bow III surface-to-air missile (SAM) system, a...

bsp_62848-jdw-23245.jpeg

placeholder-16-9.jpg

The Sky Bow III – locally known as Tien-Kung III – is a mid/long-range surface-to-air missile system. It is displayed at TADTE 2023. (Janes/Kapil Kajal)
Taiwan's National Chung-Shan Institute of Science & Technology (NCSIST) has developed two upgraded variants of the Sky Bow III surface-to-air missile (SAM) system, a spokesperson for NCSIST told Janes at the Taipei Aerospace & Defense Technology Exhibition 2023 (TADTE 2023) held in Taipei from 14 to 16 September.
The new variants are named Strong Bow I and Strong Bow II, the spokesperson said.
Sky Bow III is an air-defence missile that can intercept targets at an altitude of 45 km, whereas Strong Bow I and Strong Bow II can intercept at altitudes of 70 km and 100 km respectively, the spokesperson added.
The propulsion system and anti-jamming capabilities of the new missiles are also upgraded, the spokesperson said.
The Strong Bow I has completed testing and is ready for mass production, while the Strong Bow II is still under testing, the spokesperson added.
Once produced, the two missiles will be a part of Taiwan's ballistic missile defence (BMD) system, which comprises land-based Sky Bow III and US Patriot systems, sea-based Sky Sword II systems, and naval Hsiung Feng II and III supersonic anti-ship missiles (ASMs).
A Republic of China Air Force (RoCAF) official told Janes during the show that the country is planning to acquire the latest Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) missiles from the US to improve the country's BMD system.
An RoC Navy (RoCN) official told Janes at the show that the country has developed a land-based missile launcher variant of Hsiung Feng II and III ASMs, which is deployed along the coast

@Gary

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom