TR TF-X KAAN Fighter Jet

babayetu

Reactions
2 109
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is it possible for Turkey to build a new fighter like the SU 75 Checkmate after the Hurjet project?
TAF gonna have to buy a lot TF-Xs to make the program cost more efficient per aircraft. They would not be eager to invest in a second fighter program. They also do not need such an aircraft, f-16b70 and TF-X will have to do it.
TAI would not want to invest their own resources for such a risky project, there are way more profitable projects such as regional jets for Turkish Airlines.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,075
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
A safe bet to go for any country is unmanned fighters. TAI have already stepped into the field with the Anka3. TAI can make them affordably for exports market without much support from the airforce. Other fighter projects can also be planned for future market opportunities.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
TAF gonna have to buy a lot TF-Xs to make the program cost more efficient per aircraft. They would not be eager to invest in a second fighter program. They also do not need such an aircraft, f-16b 70 and TF-X will have to do it.
TAI would not want to invest their own resources for such a risky project, there are way more profitable projects such as regional jets for Turkish Airlines.
A part of me figured as much, but I was still hoping that Turkey could take over Russia's share in the fighter market with a cheap stealth fighter, also I believe the F 16's are extremely unreliable not because they are bad planes but because the Unite State use them as leverage over Turkeys replacing them for something domestic might be the way to go.

I have a dream that we get ukrainian engines and strap it to a slightly enlarged Hurjet to create a not-F16 so we can sell it to the underdeveloped countries to make big bucks. Hurjet-2 would be the new MiG.

This is why I wish the Hurjet had an internal weapons bay to act as a quasi-stealth fighter.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,907
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Is it possible for Turkey to build a new fighter like the SU 75 Checkmate after the Hurjet project?
Unlikely. TAI will be looking directly into the world of 6th gen platforms. TAI could perform further studies on Hürjet. But a brand new design from scratch is extremely unlikely. TAI is already dealing with enough problems and projects.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
I wish people won't so hostile and defence on this forum.

Also, how many TF-X fighters can Turkey operate?

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
56 7,373
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wish people won't so hostile and defence on this forum.

Also, how many TF-X fighters can Turkey operate?
It's a prototype. In an ideal world, once it's ready, one would expect 200+ over 20 years to be produced.
I said Hurjet's competition with the T-50 will be interesting. What's strange about this? Potential sales of this aircraft will be blocked 99% by the US
You are probably right. There will probably be no important sales for some time unless the local engine comes out. T129 has a similar issue with its powerplant though and it did see export success. Real issue right now is getting the engines from US for further production of Hürjet for Turkish needs.

Gamal

Reactions
Nation of residence
Egypt
Nation of origin
Egypt
It's a prototype. In an ideal world, once it's ready, one would expect 200+ over 20 years to be produced.

You are probably right. There will probably be no important sales for some time unless the local engine comes out. T129 has a similar issue with its powerplant though and it did see export success. Real issue right now is getting the engines from US for further production of Hürjet for Turkish needs.

This means that the potential sale of this jet is dependent on the buyer country's relations with the US.

Btw this was exactly the ''face'' I mentioned above

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan

I know that it is a prototype, but how many can turkey afford to build and operate without any partners joining the project?

Rooxbar

Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,429
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
What I'd love to see is a concerted swift action regarding engine development. Government should create the incentive for Kale and TEI to join forces in a joint venture for the here proposed 20k and 35k engines, to speed up future testing operations among other things.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,001
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
What I'd love to see is a concerted swift action regarding engine development. Government should create the incentive for Kale and TEI to join forces in a joint venture for the here proposed 20k and 35k engines, to speed up future testing operations among other things.

Everyone's still waiting for the TF-X engine tender and hedging their bets. But that would be welcome outcome.
Maybe Kale could do parts manufacturing as a Tier1 supplier or get a certain share while TEI keeps the overall project.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Everyone's still waiting for the TF-X engine tender and hedging their bets. But that would be welcome outcome.
Maybe Kale could do parts manufacturing as a Tier1 supplier or get a certain share while TEI keeps the overall project.

I think it would be for the best if the government launched two different engine projects for the TF-X, one a 5th gen engine that is given to the new company that Rolls-Royce and Kale set up and a second one that is a 4th gen engine that TEI should build just in case.

Turkey shouldn't let the opportunity that is the Rolls-Royce and Kale partnership go to waste, especially as it might one day be a way for Turkey to become a way for Turkey to get its foot in the door of the Global Combat Air Programme (GCAP).

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,907
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
TF-X Group Presidency has now been established. The aircraft used to be under the Aircraft Department Presidency.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 01.55.12.png

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,026
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope the defense industry projects continue without interruption. It may not be just events and celebrations, they may be rescheduled or canceled.

Because today I saw a tweet about TF-X and I blocked that person because I thought he was not well-intentioned.

Such people should not even be answered, because it spreads and has the potential to influence people.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,799
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
How? Where are my family members going to cast their votes? What about the millions who are refugees in their own country now?

I don't want to see a new drone, fighter jet or ship until the last body has been recovered.
As much as it hurts all of us, but lifes go on. Sadly, but true.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom