TR F-16 Özgür | Hürkuş - Fighter Trainer Aircraft Projects

Defence Industry Enjoyer

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
May some1 elaborate on why Turkey acquiring such jets will be beneficial to Turkey? I would understand if it is a transport aircraft; however, it seems to be more geared towards small business jets that Turkey may not need

Needed types of aircraft:

Fighter
Cargo
Air to Air Refuel
Trainer
EW
CAS
Testbed
Sea Patrol
Fire fighting

Type of aircraft that is easy to acquire and develop modifications. Business jets.

Why use limited funds to develop a biz jet when rather can be used to develop modifications for existing proven platforms that is suitable, like Gulfstream and Bombardier.

We would make more money selling special mission aircraft modification then the whole span of the business jet venture.

I much rather having turboprop dual-use aircraft project or innovative project like hybrid, electric aircraft.

It could be political decision tbh

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,532
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
May some1 elaborate on why Turkey acquiring such jets will be beneficial to Turkey? I would understand if it is a transport aircraft; however, it seems to be more geared towards small business jets that Turkey may not need
Not sure but there can be things going on we do not know about.

Suppose TAI is also purchasing Ivchenko progress (just hypothetically) than you could manufacture business jets with Ukrainian engines cheaper than existing business jet producers and take a piece of that market.

Secondly before jumping into big passenger aircraft or regional jets one needs to make a bit of a name, better to make name with business jets first

These are the reasons I can imagine

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,823
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Türkiye is reaching 'level 5', so US is offering level 4-5. Can you follow me?

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
This is not just buying a small jet company, if TAI is going to be parent company, then that means TAI products will be available to USA. And TAI will have its first commercial jet product line.. alongside engineers, a factory, probably patents and know-how. Smart move IMO

Besides, after pandemic business jet industry is booming.

Fairon

Reactions
6 885
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

If I have to guess, that would be because business jets are highly customizable. You can use them in many different configurations. Just add different electronic/radar/intellegence suits and use them as you wish. You can also use them as testbeds as well.

It also may grant revenue on the side for selling civillian aircraft.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,681
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If I have to guess, that would be because business jets are highly customizable. You can use them in many different configurations. Just add different electronic/radar/intellegence suits and use them as you wish. You can also use them as testbeds as well.

It also may grant revenue on the side for selling civillian aircraft.
It also brings experience and capability in developing a passenger jet.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,113
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
SyberJet's aircrafts can also be used for military purposes. They are openly marketing them for military applications.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
SyberJet's aircrafts can also be used for military purposes. They are openly marketing them for military applications.

It's ideal for training pilots for multi-engine aircrafts, but for any other tasks it's far too small..

Fairon

Reactions
6 885
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It also brings experience and capability in developing a passenger jet.

I don't think developing a passenger jet is worth to trouble. Creating a worldwide logistic supply chain for spare parts to keep the aircrafts flying is difficult and porbably too costly.

Like Bombardier CSeries. Imo they created the perfect aircraft for its class but they realized they don't have the ability or capital to establish logistics chain. And we are talking abouy Bombardier, they had a lot of experience in the field. It is one of the reason that they sold the program to Airbus. (Delta and Boeing thing also had and effect but in reality they realized they won't be able to supply the aircrafts with parts in time) Until Airbus integrated the aircraft in its supply chain some of the Cseries aircraft stay grounded due to lack of parts from time to time. (Air Baltic was vocal about it and they really loved Cseries)

Another example is Sukhoi Superjets. They were good aircrafts for its time and they managed to sell some aircraft to airlines from Belgium and Mexico but again due to lack of parts aircrafts stayed on the ground for weeks. These kind of things are unacceptable in aviation business. Even couple of hour delays potentially criple your operation. So the jet didn't sell outside of Russia and even airlines from Russia were not keen of buying them.

It sounds easy but it is really difficult and expansive to establish on the clock worldwide logistics for commercial aircraft. Your troubles only begining to start after you build the aircraft :D

So I don't think we should focus on that, it is a high risk low reward project and a money sink for a loong long time.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,124
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If you want to make a small fortune in aviation start with a big one

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,124
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
MIUS / Kızılelma has a monocoque shell body while Hürjet has rivets all over it. I wonder if it is just because it does not need to be stealthy and rivets are better otherwise. AFAIK although it is riveted the skin sections are composite all the same.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,949
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
MIUS / Kızılelma has a monocoque shell body while Hürjet has rivets all over it. I wonder if it is just because it does not need to be stealthy and rivets are better otherwise. AFAIK although it is riveted the skin sections are composite all the same.
I assume it's easier to work with (it's less risky) . Having single piece composites is better for sure. But again, it's not a stealth aircraft. Hurkus looks exactly the same way, with rivets all over the place.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,681
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
F-35 has rivets too if you look at its close-up shots. F-35 uses special rivets which create a smoother surface compared to normal rivets. After fastening the rivets a special filler/putty is applied on top of the rough areas caused by rivets to make the surface silky smooth.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,124
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
F-35 has rivets too if you look at its close-up shots. F-35 uses special rivets which create a smoother surface compared to normal rivets. After fastening the rivets a special filler/putty is applied on top of the rough areas caused by rivets to make the surface silky smooth.

That is called countersunk rivets that goes flush with the surface.

aluminium-steel-countersunk-head.gif

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,688
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Interesting article about the UAE F16V60 planes.
The engines of these planes are overhauled and maintained by TEI. They develop 32500lbf thrust. With the Apg80 radar and IRST system it has, this bird is probably the most capable f16 around.
However I would like to see how well Aselsan’s GaN based Aesa radar will perform when compared to this one and the SABR Apg83 radar on the V70 version we want to buy 120 of.
On paper and theoretically our Aesa should outperform most GaAs based radars. But how much of a compromise we have had to accept with respect to performance versus heat control and power output will be interesting to see.
I guess to have 120 of your fighters lined up to be fully compatible with NATO standards is logical. To have the rest of your f16s fitted with electronics only you know the capability of , is an advantage one can not sneer at.
Performance of the Aselsan’s f16/ radar will show us a glimpse of what we can expect from the TFX’s Aesa radar.

Brave Janissary

Reactions
5 629
After the Greece buying rafales and possible F-35 sale looks like wewill be in the disadvantage againts greek.

On the other hand we have a problems with usa about f-16V, f-35's etc. And last one Ef-2000 is not itar-free and have many other problems.

From my side most logical move from us (attention its not solution just most logical move) return to us and increase internal capabilities.

1-) Creating a stealth jet who can carry aesa radar and capable to use bvr aa weapon. (contrary to f-35's stealth ranged bvr attack capabilty)- also dont forget we already have a capabilty launch a bvr missile from a platform with help of another platform guidance and radar.

2-)

ozgur-f16-2.jpg

Are there any posibilty about next gen more air to air concantrated F-16 Solution ?

Nowadays 4.5 th gen air superiorty fighters comes with good radar range , Aesa radar and irst, esm, advanced air to air missiles , good aa missiles carrying quantity, maneuvrabilty and range/endurance in the air.

As I know F-16 in the begining is a light tactical Fighter not multirole or bomber. And also we know that F-16 is have good thrust to weight ratio and climb rate performance when compared other west 4-4.5 gen fighters when clean configuration.

So if we are add a 2x 200+ gallon cft's for extra fuell and incraese his AA weapon amount to 6x Amraam/Gökhan/Gökdoğan + 2x Aim-9x/ Bozdoğan Also Aesa +İrst+ Mehpod ( A ED system againts a bvr missiles who targeted f-16's) + decoy target capability and esm capability can be convert f-16 very capable fighter aircraft.

3-) Finalize to MMU
4-) İntagrate to UCAVS AND USV's to Anadolu like drone motherships and use hims againts enemy penetration strike roles.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom