Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus News & Update

egolfs

Reactions
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Everyone who left land in the south got "eşdeğer" land in the North,.....

Not true.
Everyone got "points" (puan) - but many people, including me, my family and many friends have not been compensated at all. Of course many people did get "eşdeğer" but unfortunately the system was/is corrupt because the number of points you got, depended on who you knew rather than the actual value of the land that you left behind. Even if you were assigned a fair number of points, you would have to know someone ( - or bribe someone) in order to have a chance to trade the "points" for any decent property or land.

Over time, the value of these points have decreased, while the value of land and property has increased.
Therefore, many people have been left with worthless "points" because they cannot use these points to be fairly compensated. Consequently, some people hold on to their "land or title deeds" in the hope that one day, they will be able to get their own land or property back.
In general, I believe that even these people are under no illusions (- they know they cannot live with Greek Cypriots in the south), but they hope to sell their property in order to get a fair price. It is sad that Turkish Cypriots, after having suffered war, attempted genocide and ethnic cleansing, then find themselves treated unfairly by their own people.

Turkish Cypriots that live in Europe are even more disadvantaged because if they tried to trade the "points" for land or property, they run the risk of being taken to court by Greek Cypriots. Greek Cypriots could then seize money or property in Europe (they have actually been successful) to the value of the compensation given to Turkish Cypriots. This is a lose- lose situation.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Not true.
Everyone got "points" (puan) - but many people, including me, my family and many friends have not been compensated at all. Of course many people did get "eşdeğer" but unfortunately the system was/is corrupt because the number of points you got, depended on who you knew rather than the actual value of the land that you left behind. Even if you were assigned a fair number of points, you would have to know someone ( - or bribe someone) in order to have a chance to trade the "points" for any decent property or land.

Over time, the value of these points have decreased, while the value of land and property has increased.
Therefore, many people have been left with worthless "points" because they cannot use these points to be fairly compensated. Consequently, some people hold on to their "land or title deeds" in the hope that one day, they will be able to get their own land or property back.
In general, I believe that even these people are under no illusions (- they know they cannot live with Greek Cypriots in the south), but they hope to sell their property in order to get a fair price. It is sad that Turkish Cypriots, after having suffered war, attempted genocide and ethnic cleansing, then find themselves treated unfairly by their own people.

Turkish Cypriots that live in Europe are even more disadvantaged because if they tried to trade the "points" for land or property, they run the risk of being taken to court by Greek Cypriots. Greek Cypriots could then seize money or property in Europe (they have actually been successful) to the value of the compensation given to Turkish Cypriots. This is a lose- lose situation.
100%

Yes you are right, not everyone got. I am so sorry to hear your story, a lot of corruption that I know too, I shouldn't say "everyone" because I heard things like this too. My family have always been living in the north but they lost everything and had to live in a camp for 11 years, when they return they found ruins but of course our ancestors land remain the same, so we have no land in South or did not get any "eşdeğer" but I heard many stories. I feel your pain.

However that guy's tweet is delusional. At most 1/4 of the land in South is Turkish Land and we don't have the balance. But I think most of the lands in south still protected under special law so solution (any kind) will bring a little bit justice. People like you should be able to apply Mal Tazmin Komisyonu like Greeks. There should be a legal way to bring justice to after war corruption. People from Turkey migrated and got lots of free land without paying any price or having any special condition (not the soldiers who fought) then those nationalistic Turkish Brothers sold those lands to British, European and and Jews in the East Kyrenia and become rich but even some of our people who left land in South didn't compensated, this is an injustice according to me.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not true.

I think it’s important to keep telling these stories. Social media is a good tool for spreading these and even making hashtags. It’s inportant that all these stories are kept alive and not let politicians gloss over it.

Just out of curiousity, would equivalent land compensation work. 1=1 and you’d get to pick among lands owned by GC e.g. You’d pick lands from Marash and such.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
I remember mentioning this in this thread before. The plan which is not "new" is to return Maraş to Greek owners under the rule of TRNC. This was proposed by Akıncı in 2015 as well. Then Kudret Özersay and many others but somehow Tatar adopted it as his plan. Main reason that lead government crises in here. State policies are same, media is manipulating everything as always.

Put an headline as "Traitor Tatar and Erdoğan is giving back Maraş that we conquered with blood to Greeks"

If any Leftist Government or Akıncı have done this I am 100% sure we would hear many insults like "Hain rumcu, rum tohumu Akıncı, şehitlerimizin kanıyla, kan dökerek aldığımız toprakları rumlara veriyor."

Last edited:

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

GC wanting to sell their property in marash ?

They are planning to return and even invest but may be some would prefer compensation. Most of them are showing willingness to return, they even have a lobby for this.

egolfs

Reactions
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
@Saithan
"Just out of curiousity, would equivalent land compensation work. 1=1 and you’d get to pick among lands owned by GC e.g. You’d pick lands from Marash and such."

The deeds for land or property that you left in the south was firstly "assessed" and then you were given points (puan).
The Government would periodically announce that they were to release packets (paketler), which would consist of land or property that you could apply for - ( so far so good, sounds good doesn't it?).
BUT
  • The number of points you got was decided by a committee - "Knowing someone on the committee" always helped to get a higher number of points; and if you didn't ........
  • Land and property in the packets were given a "points" value and if you had enough points you could apply; but how did they decide who would get the land, was always a mystery. However, it was never a surprise that people with influence (torpil) and money always ended up with the best property.
  • Influence (torpil) was not just used to get more points, sometimes a piece of land that was not particularly was assessed at 5 or 10 times it's value. In this way, someone could ensure that they would be the only one to apply for it - of course, it's easy to pay more points when you got them for unfairly or free.
  • .....and it goes on and on.
I personally went to ask ( 25 years ago) if there was any chance of being able to use these points, only to be told "that there were no more packets, all the land was gone".

I had (have) ancestral land in the south; and have been given no compensation in the north. Forty-six years have passed. If I had access to my land; my life and my family's life would have been completely different.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
@Saithan
"Just out of curiousity, would equivalent land compensation work. 1=1 and you’d get to pick among lands owned by GC e.g. You’d pick lands from Marash and such."

The deeds for land or property that you left in the south was firstly "assessed" and then you were given points (puan).
The Government would periodically announce that they were to release packets (paketler), which would consist of land or property that you could apply for - ( so far so good, sounds good doesn't it?).
BUT
  • The number of points you got was decided by a committee - "Knowing someone on the committee" always helped to get a higher number of points; and if you didn't ........
  • Land and property in the packets were given a "points" value and if you had enough points you could apply; but how did they decide who would get the land, was always a mystery. However, it was never a surprise that people with influence (torpil) and money always ended up with the best property.
  • Influence (torpil) was not just used to get more points, sometimes a piece of land that was not particularly was assessed at 5 or 10 times it's value. In this way, someone could ensure that they would be the only one to apply for it - of course, it's easy to pay more points when you got them for unfairly or free.
  • .....and it goes on and on.
I personally went to ask ( 25 years ago) if there was any chance of being able to use these points, only to be told "that there were no more packets, all the land was gone".

I had (have) ancestral land in the south; and have been given no compensation in the north. Forty-six years have passed. If I had access to my land; my life and my family's life would have been completely different.
Unbelievable! How could this not publicized. You should spread this through newspapers or apply to courts. It is ultimate corruption. UBP still gives land to its supporters, sometimes they give rural plots to young locals who get married. It is unbelievable, they should compensate your loss for 46 years!! Have you talked with a lawyer? People like you should be able to apply Mal Tazmin Komisyonu too.

And when you criticize them or don't vote for nationalist corrupt parties they call you traitor/rumcu while they are exploit everything unfairly.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Unbelievable! How could this not publicized. You should spread this through newspapers or apply to courts. It is ultimate corruption. UBP still gives land to its supporters, sometimes they give rural plots to young locals who get married. It is unbelievable, they should compensate your loss for 46 years!! Have you talked with a lawyer? People like you should be able to apply Mal Tazmin Komisyonu too.

And when you criticize them or don't vote for nationalist corrupt parties they call you traitor/rumcu while they are exploit everything unfairly.
I agree.

But do KKTC citizens have the right to go to EU court on this or UN court ? If not then I can only see social media and media as the means to make your voice be heard.

I think @egolfs need to write down the entire process you experienced into a document and have it scanned and archived and such, even stamped by Noter/Lawyer. Do not let this disappear into nothingness.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
I agree.

But do KKTC citizens have the right to go to EU court on this or UN court ? If not then I can only see social media and media as the means to make your voice be heard.

I think @egolfs need to write down the entire process you experienced into a document and have it scanned and archived and such, even stamped by Noter/Lawyer. Do not let this disappear into nothingness.
Private property is protected by international law. For instance, before 2008 and especially before Annan plan there was no way to apply local courts for the Greeks, they all opened court cases against Turkey (cos they don't recognize TRNC) in European Court of Human Rights , billions of dollars compensation because of losing usage rights of their properties in the North. Just a house in Kyrenia won 8 million usd compensation. Then we open a local court for this "Taşınmaz Mal Komisyonu" than European Courts drop all cases and said that you have to apply local court before AIHM. There is no UN court or body that deals with this. First Local courts than AIHM.

Same process for Turkish Cypriots. They can go courts in the South and if that does not work, go to ECHR. I know some did this. If you left your property in the South and get an exchange land in the North, South Cyprus prevent you to sell / transfer your property or use it (as far as I know) They sometimes rent TCs Lands and put rent money to an account.

In this case both court should be used and if not ECHR, this story is completely unfair.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Private property is protected by international law. For instance, before 2008 and especially before Annan plan there was no way to apply local courts for the Greeks, they all opened court cases against Turkey (cos they don't recognize TRNC) in European Court of Human Rights , billions of dollars compensation because of losing usage rights of their properties in the North. Just a house in Kyrenia won 8 million usd compensation. Then we open a local court for this "Taşınmaz Mal Komisyonu" than European Courts drop all cases and said that you have to apply local court before AIHM. There is no UN court or body that deals with this. First Local courts than AIHM.

Same process for Turkish Cypriots. They can go courts in the South and if that does not work, go to ECHR. I know some did this. If you left your property in the South and get an exchange land in the North, South Cyprus prevent you to sell / transfer your property or use it (as far as I know) They sometimes rent TCs Lands and put rent money to an account.

In this case both court should be used and if not ECHR, this story is completely unfair.
Prevent from selling and transfering ?

So a TC cannot trade his land in the south with someone else in the North ?

Is that allowed ?

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
Prevent from selling and transfering ?

So a TC cannot trade his land in the south with someone else in the North ?

Is that allowed ?
Not exactly, until 2004 there was no border crossing, so if you left your house in the South and got a replacement in the North and you did not go south via Greece etc, that means you didn't check your property for 30 years, so they transferred those properties to special commission and froze transfer etc. until peace agreement. At least this is what I know.

Trading, exchaging land/property is one of the main solution to the issue, our TMK is trying to do that but I don't have enough information about the how it works in the South.

For example, one of the hotels I know, Acapulco tried or bought the property rights from the Greek owner to clear dispute over its land. GKRY is trying everything to prevent those transfers because eventually it will make embargoes senseless. Same for Maraş.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not exactly, until 2004 there was no border crossing, so if you left your house in the South and got a replacement in the North and you did not go south via Greece etc, that means you didn't check your property for 30 years, so they transferred those properties to special commission and froze transfer etc. until peace agreement. At least this is what I know.

Trading, exchaging land/property is one of the main solution to the issue, our TMK is trying to do that but I don't have enough information about the how it works in the South.

For example, one of the hotels I know, Acapulco tried or bought the property rights from the Greek owner to clear dispute over its land. GKRY is trying everything to prevent those transfers because eventually it will make embargoes senseless. Same for Maraş.

Oh.. that is nice. If we could help KKTC in doing more of those transaction then we'd wittle the foundation and KKTC would be closer to sovereignity.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,699
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

Cypriot ghost town Varosha to gradually reopen for settlement, tourism​

BY DAILY SABAH WITH AGENCIES​

ISTANBUL DIPLOMACY
NOV 18, 2020 12:12 PM GMT+3
Derelict hotels, restaurants and residential buildings remain abandoned at the fenced-off beachfront eastern town of Varosha (Maraş), in Northern Cyprus, on Oct. 14, 2020. (AFP)
Derelict hotels, restaurants and residential buildings remain abandoned at the fenced-off beachfront eastern town of Varosha (Maraş), in Northern Cyprus, on Oct. 14, 2020. (AFP)

Anew plan is reportedly in the making to gradually reopen the town of Maraş (Varosha), in the northern part of Cyprus, for both settlement and tourism. The city has been closed since 1974.

According to the Turkish daily, Hürriyet, an offer will be made to the Greek Cypriots who own properties in Varosha. They will be offered to either sell the properties to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) or absorb their properties and bring them to the Greek side, where they live.

The daily reported that the records of the Immovable Properties Commission, which was formed by the TRNC, show that so far about 300 applications have been made by the Greek Cypriots in order to determine the future of their properties in Varosha. The applications so far reportedly cover properties that constitute almost half of Varosha, which is located on an area as large as 4,638 decares.

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said Sunday it is difficult to fathom the injustice done in the TRNC, during his speech in Varosha.

Erdoğan visited the Varosha region, which was closed for 46 years in the TRNC but gradually began to reopen following a decision made by Turkish Cypriot officials.

Underlining that the "real owners" of Varosha are clear, Erdoğan announced that as the Immovable Properties Commission comes into action, landowners applying from the Greek Cypriot administration would receive compensation for their property. He emphasized that the move to open the Varosha region is the start of a new process.

Varosha was a famous resort area in Cyprus which boasted a capacity of 10,000 beds across more than 100 hotels, Turkish military forces intervened on the island following a Greece-backed coup.

Turkey's military intervention stopped the yearslong persecution and violence against Turkish Cypriots by ultra-nationalist Greek Cypriots.

The TRNC was established in 1983 on the northern tier of the island and is only recognized by Turkey. The country has faced an ongoing embargo on commerce, transportation and culture ever since.

The city of Varosha is protected by a 1984 U.N. Security Council (UNSC) resolution, stating that the empty town can only be resettled by its original inhabitants. If the Greek Cypriots had accepted the 2004 U.N.

Cyprus reunification plan, the Annan Plan, Varosha would now be back under Greek Cypriot control and its residents back in their homes. Despite this, the majority of Greek Cypriots voted against the plan, whereas the Turkish Cypriots voted for it.

Another initiative is reportedly taking place to urge the international community to recognize the TRNC, which is currently recognized only by Turkey.

TRNC head Ersin Tatar's upcoming visit to Azerbaijan is considered to be the first step in this attempt.

Top Bottom