Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Trump’s talk of secret new weapon fits a pattern of puzzles
Robert Burns, The Associated Press
1 day ago
FJOIEUDBTJH33AFXI5KPBVCXDQ.jpg
An unarmed Trident II missile launches from Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine USS Maine (SSBN 741) off the coast of San Diego on Feb. 12, 2020. (MC2 Thomas Gooley/Navy)
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is expanding his arsenal of spectacular, but hard to explain, claims about U.S. military might.
First, there were invisible airplanes. Then, a “super duper” missile.

And now, a secret nuclear weapon.
“I have built a nuclear, a weapon, I have built a weapon system that nobody’s ever had in this country before,” Trump said in an interview with journalist Bob Woodward for his book published this week.
“We have stuff that you haven’t even seen or heard about. We have stuff that Putin and Xi have never heard about before,” Trump said, referring to Presidents Vladimir Putin of Russia and Xi Jinping of China. “There’s nobody. What we have is incredible.”
Weapons experts are puzzling over Trump’s words. Some think he may have been talking about a nuclear warhead that was modified to reduce its explosive power. Known as the W76-2, this weapon certainly is unknown to the general public — not because of secrecy or mystery but because of its obscurity.

Asked by a reporter to clarify his comment, Trump on Thursday said he’d rather not.
“There are systems that nobody knows about, including you, and we have some systems that nobody knows about. And, frankly, I think I’m better off keeping it that way,” he said.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom