Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
WASHINGTON, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Turkey has made a request to the U.S. to buy 40 Lockheed Martin-made F-16 fighter jets and nearly 80 modernization kits for its existing warplanes, as the NATO ally looks to modernize its Air Force after the purchase of F-35 jets fell through, sources familiar with the matter said.

Parry Brima

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,057
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
So due to CAATSA, after Turkey bought (and planning to buy more) S400, the US sanctioning Turkey by :

- removing Turkey from F-35 program
- potentially blocking F-16 request
- blacklisting Turkey Defense Industry Directorate (including the chief and several employees)

Is that all?

Any economic related embargo/sanction (non-defense sanction) so far?

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Inventory:
36 Block30
102 Block40
71 Block 50
29 Block 50+

Request:
80 Block 70 upgrade kit ( 71 Block50+9 Block50+)
40 new Block 70

After the upgrade (If accepted):
120 Block 70
20 Block 50+
138 Özgür

Aselsan AESA radar for Özgür upgrade will start trials
images

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,524
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know about others but for me this feels like an unfortunate defeat, to go and ask the US.

Leaves a very bitter taste.

I almost hope the US will decline, am sick of this US dependency.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know about others but for me this feels like an unfortunate defeat, to go and ask the US.

Our dependence on the US will continue until our national platforms such as the TfX, Hürjet are ready and our critical radar technologies are developed and this dependency is used by the US according to their own political needs. That's why these projects are so important and their success has become a must.

Jntrq

Reactions

The US dependency was not built in 5 or 10 years and not going to be got rid of easily in the short term either.

I believe that US will respond Turkey’s F16V request positively and will provide even F110 engines for MMU as well.

Us wants us to stay dependent and not get new capabilities even with F15 or f18.

In short term, Mius will be the one which helps us to be less dependent. That’s my hope at least.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,524
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
What are our alternatives?

Let's think of worst case and US is not selling F16blk 70 and blk 70 upgrade kits, than what? What are our options?

Can we upgrade the Blk 30 and blk 40 planes with Ozgur? = ~130 F16's

In how far are we dependent? Can't we replace the complete software of the F16 with Turkish software. Just thoughts buzzing my mind.

BordoEnes

Committed member
Reactions
2 866
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

Its a hard pill to swallow, but to be fair many of us saw it coming either way.

It was repeatedly pointed out that with Greece acquiring new Rafales and Viper upgrades(possibly even F-35) it created the need for an intermittent acquisition necessary.

Much of our programs will only truly come into fruition in the late 20's/early 30's therefore we cant afford to have a gap of 9 years where we are at our weakest. Though I think we all would have preferred an alternative to American jets. I would have like the Eurofighter or Gripen NG anyday of the week.

M

Manomed

We gotta have something good in our hands till TFX rolls out air force ain't gonna fly breads

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,682
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
After Sochi, Erdoğan mentioned of a preliminary agreement of an extensive deal with Russia regarding fighter jet engines, War-Ships and Submarines.
Then we now learn of a “possible” request of purchase of 40 F16s in Block V70 with 80 existing ones being upgraded to V70.
Being devil’s advocate; could this not be a ruse to push US to say no outright and open the way for the purchase of next S-400?
I can’t really see us buying Russian ships or planes or submarines. But; If the US say no, then it paves the way to use Klimov RD-93 for Hurjet and Saturn AL-41 or AL-31 for TFX until our indigenous engines come through.
Amur class submarines use AIP fuel cells . If Germany is dragging their heel regarding the supply of equipment for our Reis Class , there could be an alternative! Although there are 11 planned production of this class of sub by the Russians, none have been manufactured yet. But they are very eager to share tech!

M

Manomed

After Sochi, Erdoğan mentioned of a preliminary agreement of an extensive deal with Russia regarding fighter jet engines, War-Ships and Submarines.
Then we now learn of a “possible” request of purchase of 40 F16s in Block V70 with 80 existing ones being upgraded to V70.
Being devil’s advocate; could this not be a ruse to push US to say no outright and open the way for the purchase of next S-400?
I can’t really see us buying Russian ships or planes or submarines. But; If the US say no, then it paves the way to use Klimov RD-93 for Hurjet and Saturn AL-41 or AL-31 for TFX until our indigenous engines come through.
Amur class submarines use AIP fuel cells . If Germany is dragging their heel regarding the supply of equipment for our Reis Class , there could be an alternative! Although there are 11 planned production of this class of sub by the Russians, none have been manufactured yet. But they are very eager to share tech!
lets became a warsaw pact country too? what else you want man

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

I think the issue where Erdoğan said "give us the aircrafts or our money" on his return from Sochi must be related to the this F16 order mentioned. Some of the money invested in the F35 will go back to the country through the modernization of the F16. Some sources claimed that this request has not been forwarded new. If US does not respond to the request like they do in the Atak engine, Erdogan's visit to Sochi and the rumor of Russian aircraft purchase can also be considered as a step taken to force the US to persuade. If US will not respond to this request, it can be interpreted that TfX and Hurjet will also face similar problems with US engines. I see the cooperation on aircraft engines in Sochi as a step taken to guarantee these projects. A clear message is being given to US here. "I don't have time to wait for you. Either you accept the partnership on these project such as TfX, Hürjet, F16 or I will continue on my way with alternatives." I think we will witness some developments in a short time. These projects can also pave the way for great cooperation or create a strategic crossroads. US's attitudes will be evident in this regard.

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Israel Moderator
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,875
Nation of residence
Israel
Nation of origin
Israel

Let's think of worst case and US is not selling F16blk 70 and blk 70 upgrade kits, than what? What are our options?

In how far are we dependent? Can't we replace the complete software of the F16 with Turkish software. Just thoughts buzzing my mind.
No real alternatives. There was talk about Su-35. But that would be a maintenance nightmare and even bigger compatibility nightmare.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,757
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey

We already showed that we did that. This is last option which TSK will apply or already applying for some of fighters

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom