Turkey in the 1980s

Luwian

Reactions
4 300
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
...if I see where Turkiye was in in the eighties so I think Turkey did good progress all in all.

N

Null/Void

...if I see where Turkiye was in in the eighties so I think Turkey did good progress all in all.

Economic wise no doubt the 1970s and early 1980s with the internal violence makes the Italian experience of the "year of lead" violence look like a picnic

Y

Yoyo

depends on social class really again I would argue Turkey was probably like their Eastern European neighbors or slightly poorer
Of course it depends on social class. I mean, a millionaire in Malawi is probably happier than a mine worker in Switzerland.
That said, most people aren't that lucky. When I said Turkey sucked in the 80's, I meant it sucked for most people.
I grew up in the 80's, in the middle of Istanbul, in a lower-middle class family. So believe me when I tell you that it truly sucked ass in the 80's.

N

Null/Void

Of course it depends on social class. I mean, a millionaire in Malawi is probably happier than a mine worker in Switzerland.
That said, most people aren't that lucky. When I said Turkey sucked in the 80's, I meant it sucked for most people.
I grew up in the 80's, in the middle of Istanbul, in a lower-middle class family. So believe me when I tell you that it truly sucked ass in the 80's.

Yeah that made sense Turkey was still in midst of massive urbanisation which is why Turkey is so polarised between Istanbulites and Anatolians but Turkey like a lot of their neighbors were "experimenting" with neo-liberalism prior to the 80s Turkey had a robust state owned sector

N

Null/Void

Paper car i used to call it,my uncle had one in 1980,he was a cop(bomb expert).

Was Anadol ever successful I know they close production in the late 1980s and they even had their own produced sports car for a then very poor country interesting but Devrim is probably the most memorable

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,001
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

Seriously man its so good to see this. So many people romantice a period which they were not born in or even lived.

A lot of people who complain today would not even live in the past despite how they romantice it of being perfect.

N

Null/Void

Seriously man its so good to see this. So many people romantice a period which they were not born in or even lived.

A lot of people who complain today would not even live in the past despite how they romantice it of being perfect.

Nostalgia is one hell of a drug but it did seem Turkey was a lot less polarized tho exception violence between political groups but today's Turkey may be wealthier more powerful but is caught in unnecessary culture wars

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,001
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Nostalgia is one hell of a drug but it did seem Turkey was a lot less polarized tho exception violence between political groups but today's Turkey may be wealthier more powerful but is caught in unnecessary culture wars

Culture war began ever since tanzminat. Us Turks are still arguing on what is modern and the role of religion.

What it means to be Turk and Muslim. While at the same time contemplating how the Turks fell off from being the strongest in history to todays problems.

N

Null/Void

Culture war began ever since tanzminat. Us Turks are still arguing on what is modern and the role of religion.

What it means to be Turk and Muslim. While at the same time contemplating how the Turks fell off from being the strongest in history to todays problems.
But it seems it's gotten worse as Turkey drags itself into unnecessary conflicts

Top Bottom