Brokengineer

Committed member
Reactions
1 480
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If MİUS enters production by next year, would we even need new F16s? As serious power's move to 5th gen jets, it feels like this purchase is rather pointless. Sure F16s are still great. But this kind of resembles Greece's purchase of Rafale's. A descion out of desperation. Long term, I think it's a waste.
Mius is a complementary to f16 in variety of situations. It cannot replace any f16s like akinci or tb2's in the inventory.
Greece bought rafales which is state of art engineering in omnirole fighters. They have an advantage upon us. However, it is only one aspect. It does not mean they have full superiority in air . A rafale would ve been a perfect plane for TurAF needs but not possible.
There is still time to replace manned fighters with unmanned ones.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
105 14,566
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Mius is a complementary to f16 in variety of situations. It cannot replace any f16s like akinci or tb2's in the inventory.
Greece bought rafales which is state of art engineering in omnirole fighters. They have an advantage upon us. However, it is only one aspect. It does not mean they have full superiority in air . A rafale would ve been a perfect plane for TurAF needs but not possible.
There is still time to replace manned fighters with unmanned ones.
Exactly! The current MIUS project is not and can not be a replacement of a fully fledged manned fighter jet. It would be a complementary side kick at best. It would and should double or even triple an F16’s effectiveness. But on it’s own it can never replace it. On it’s own it would still be a very potent fighting machine nevertheless albeit somewhat restricted.
The next generation of MIUS, where a very high end AI, EW and indigenous engine type is used and it is stealthy, will be on a par with the best of any fighter jet. But we are not there yet.

I_Love_F16

Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,506
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
A455845A-96D8-45A4-8F8D-29B0B19053D1.jpeg

19368A72-3A7A-497C-9E38-17BBF1A34BDA.jpeg

Interesting. What I don’t understand is why buying more planes ? Isn’t MIUS + Hurjet + Ozgur modernization enough ?

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,907
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
View attachment 43623
View attachment 43624

Interesting. What I don’t understand is why buying more planes ? Isn’t MIUS + Hurjet + Ozgur modernization enough ?
It would be enough. But all of them are still "projects". We don't know how successful they'll be once they're finished either. There is still a big question mark over everything. If the AESA radar fails to materialize, we are f*cked since it will probably effect everything down the line (from MIUS to TF-X). If MIUS gets delayed, the navy and the Air Force would be left without an essential force multiplier, meaning they'll be f*cked too. If Hurjet gets delayed by a significant extent or cancelled altogether, the MMU program might be f*cked since new engineers are still developing themselves with the Hurjet program. It's better to just equip ourselves before commencing the war of independence lol

M

Manomed

The Biden administration has demanded that US Congressional leaders approve the sale of advanced weapons and other equipment for Turkey's F-16 warplanes.

Hayırlı olsun.

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,510
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
advanced weapons and other equipment for F 16? I dont think we have much left as ''advanced weapon'' we need from USA. on the contrary we can sell them some really cost effective ''advanced weapons'' like CAKIR or KUZGUN family for US F 16s, if our National Assembly approves :devilish: but wondering this equipment thing may including Legion Pod? would be intersting just thinking at loud.

Last edited:

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
105 14,566
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
advanced weapons and equipment for F 16? I dont think we have much left as ''advanced weapon'' we need from USA. Even we can sell them some really cost effective ''advanced weapons'' like CAKIR or KUZGUN family for US F 16s, if our National Assembly approves :devilish: but wondering this equipment thing may including Legion Pod? would be intersting just thinking at loud.
How much of our “advanced” weapons we would be allowed to integrate on to the newly purchased F16-V70s, is the question one need to ask.
Remember that these planes are going to have advanced US built Aesa radars and US built avionics. Even the upgrade kits may cause problems.
I hope we don’t end up with planes with which we can no longer use our indigenous modern weapons after upgrading them. US may try to sell the parts with that in mind. But we should resist and dig our heels in.

Apparently we have already asked for avionic equipment and weapons for existing planes, worth over 400 million dollars. That is the request we have sent to Biden administration and in turn they have asked for Congress approval.
This new equipment, it is envisaged, will see current f16 fleet to reach retirement age.

Last edited:

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,510
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
How much of our “advanced” weapons we would be allowed to integrate on to the newly purchased F16-V70s, is the question one need to ask.
Remember that these planes are going to have advanced US built Aesa radars and US built avionics. Even the upgrade kits may cause problems.
I hope we don’t end up with planes with which we can no longer use our indigenous modern weapons after upgrading them. US may try to sell the parts with that in mind. But we should resist and dig our heels in.

Apparently we have already asked for avionic equipment and weapons for existing planes, worth over 400 million dollars. That is the request we have sent to Biden administration and in turn they have asked for Congress approval.
This new equipment, it is envisaged, will see current f16 fleet to reach retirement age.
You have very valid concerns and yes as you stated ''we should resist and dig our heels in'' for our indigenous modern weapons and to use them in each and every F 16 that we have without side ways as we are doing now.

On the news concerning 400 million deal; The Wall Street Journal reported, citing US officials that; Biden administration may be using this deal to test the level of support in Congress for a separate proposal to sell 40 new F-16 V70s to Turkey.

P.S Greek prime minister will be in US and will have a speach in congress quite soon.

Last edited:

Fairon

Reactions
6 868
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

We could be trying to use two seperate weapons with our F16's. American weapons with the US upgraded aircraft and our weapons with the Özgür upgraded aircraft. This way we could minimize the risk with using our own weapons and we don't have to be pressured to produce weapons quickly.(especially AA missiles)

If thats the case, i can see the benefits. Almost all of our projects became critical to our existence, we need to put some pressure off as much as we can.

godel44

Reactions
8 393
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
This latest package seems like a feeler for the larger F-16 purchase.

If this was only about getting the F-35 funds back, they would have purchased something else (like cargo planes or AWACS) that would not require an additional large sum of money. It seems Air Force wants to hedge against the possibility of the Ozgur modernization not being at the desired level or not being on schedule despite the fact that American Vipers will also take their time. Since the Ozgur prototype was already applied to a plane and tested successfully except the AESA radar, they might have doubts about the AESA capability or the timeline of either the radar or Ozgur modernizations as a whole.

At the end it seems Block 30/40 will undergo Ozgur, and Block 50/50+ will undergo the American upgrade. 120 4.5-generation Vipers plus whatever number Ozgur planes would relieve a lot of pressure on the local defense industry. It's a shame to spend so much money on imports though.

On the plus side, it gives a nice target diplomatically for all the haters. Greek, Armenian, PKK lobbies in the US can exhaust themselves on having this sale denied, which is not that critical due to the Ozgur option.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,601
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm against the F-16V deal. Anyone who supports the deal, please don't cry when the US stops the deal because we launched an operation against YPG or conducted drilling activities in the east med. Oh and prepare to get the delivery of new F-16Vs by 2030 if everything goes smoothly. 2022 will end without anything. We will have the first modernized F-16V in 2025 and the first new F-16V in 2028 at best.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
10 3,811
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hava SOJ maybe? They were supposed to get it from bombardier but maybe sanctions?
Hmm I don't think so. Hava SOJ is already undergoing flight tests. And according to rumours Canada has eased its sanctions.

I think this is for another project. National AWACS? Or maybe Testbeds?

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,907
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Hmm I don't think so. Hava SOJ is already undergoing flight tests. And according to rumours Canada has eased its sanctions.

I think this is for another project. National AWACS? Or maybe Testbeds?
"The aircraft will be fitted with special flight inspection calibration equipment to undertake missions of ensuring the integrity of the airways that constitute the national airspace of Turkey"

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
This latest package seems like a feeler for the larger F-16 purchase.

If this was only about getting the F-35 funds back, they would have purchased something else (like cargo planes or AWACS) that would not require an additional large sum of money. It seems Air Force wants to hedge against the possibility of the Ozgur modernization not being at the desired level or not being on schedule despite the fact that American Vipers will also take their time. Since the Ozgur prototype was already applied to a plane and tested successfully except the AESA radar, they might have doubts about the AESA capability or the timeline of either the radar or Ozgur modernizations as a whole.

At the end it seems Block 30/40 will undergo Ozgur, and Block 50/50+ will undergo the American upgrade. 120 4.5-generation Vipers plus whatever number Ozgur planes would relieve a lot of pressure on the local defense industry. It's a shame to spend so much money on imports though.

On the plus side, it gives a nice target diplomatically for all the haters. Greek, Armenian, PKK lobbies in the US can exhaust themselves on having this sale denied, which is not that critical due to the Ozgur option.

Kurdish lobby not the pkk lobby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,916
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Kurdish lobby not the pkk lobby.

Get this through your heads the Kurdish disapora are lobbying against Turkiye.

I live in Australia you see there true face. What makes it worse most have Turkish passports and citizenship.
Ryder, I understand your frustration but no need to be so continuously hostile to various ethnicities. Be cool my man.

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom