AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Absolutely. The +2 option should have been used before the window of opportunity closed, and also we should had procured at least the same number of P-8 MPAs developed on the same 737NG. I think it is unlikely that we will see additional AEW-C aircraft for the next decade. My opinion on this issue is that all A330-200s in THY inventory should be given to the air force for MRTT conversion, but Aselsan should work on 2 of them as an AEW-C aircraft, even though it is wide-body aircraft.

For the next twenty years: additional AEW-C aircrafts with indigenous radar, long range MPAs and for multi-role tanker transport roles - Im just speculating numbers - there is a need for around 18-20 narrow and wide body aircraft. Even if we can handle the long-range MPA roles largely through drones, I think at least 10-12 aircraft will be needed.

As far as I know, there were some ideas to move forward through the cooperation between Aselsan and Antonov, but this has become quite difficult due to the current circumstances. Today, Kotil stated that TAI is preparing to put an airliner project with 60-80 seats and very low seat/flight cost on its agenda in the coming period. If we evaluate this kind of planning according to the current workload, I think it will take at least 10 years before it becomes a project and the aircraft can be produced. If there is no military priority here, it will probably take even more time to turn it into a extended range and a platform for use in military projects.

I believe that until we have our own aircraft, or until there is a co-production/under-licence production prepared with very good conditions, such platforms will continue to be in a very limited number in the TAF inventory. The younger generations are very lucky, because from the mid-2030s they will probably witness a period of expansion of the TAF.
why not develop a fuel tanker out of anka-3 version? more stealth and diminish the probablity of getting shot down from long distances as they are less maneuver.. S400 is deisgned to shoot them first and Awacs

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,689
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The signatures have been signed for the 4-seater training aircraft development project announced by Temel Kotil via the press on May 13.

thy-tusas-anlasma-1-780x470.jpeg

Thus, simultaneously with the helicopter division, TAI started to enter the civilian market with indigenously designed products in the fixed wing field.

Turkish Airlines has an ambitious expansion target in the 10-year projection and is already the airline with the most destinations in the world. This alone makes it one of the largest pilot employers in the world. It is estimated that there will be 11,000 pilots on board by 2033. In this context, TAFA (Turkish Airlines Aviation Academy) will become an important center in the coming period.

The reason why I shared this project within air force' thread is that this single-engine 4-seater new generation trainer could also be used for military purposes and pilot training. However, more importantly, TAI's roadmap is to start developing a 60-80 seat narrow body aircraft after this trainer. At this point, we can evaluate that the possibility of a domestically produced aircraft will now be a visible target in military mission profiles (MPA, Intelligence, early warning, etc.) where long-range versions of such platforms are used.

Last edited:

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,397
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Turkey should cooperate with the Brazilians regarding the KC-390, or the Japanese with their C-2 transport aircraft. Turkey has a little over 1 million tons in strategic airlift capability. Should at least be able to double the capacity to around 2 million tons just like Germany, and France.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Turkey should cooperate with the Brazilians regarding the KC-390, or the Japanese with their C-2 transport aircraft. Turkey has a little over 1 million tons in strategic airlift capability. Should at least be able to double the capacity to around 2 million tons just like Germany, and France.
the thing is Turkey doesnt have much money as its all put for local production. Turkey could easily Turn TF35000 engine into turo prob and make its own around 2030. For now, Turkey use friend countries air lift capabilties, which one of them is Azerbaijan and Azerbaijan spent a lot on it.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,397
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
the thing is Turkey doesnt have much money as its all put for local production. Turkey could easily Turn TF35000 engine into turo prob and make its own around 2030. For now, Turkey use friend countries air lift capabilties, which one of them is Azerbaijan and Azerbaijan spent a lot on it.
I dont know if Turkey has involved itself in the past when it comes to producing strategic air lifters however if they have not then a procurement with a production of a high localization rate could be a good start since TAI is fully booked with so many development projects and deliveries.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,261
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Head of Defense Industry Prof. Dr. Haluk Gorgun:

"HAKİM Air Command Control System is one of the most critical joint projects of Azerbaijan and Turkish Air Forces.

With this project, the air forces of both countries have the opportunity to carry out joint operations, as well as to control the Azerbaijani airspace.

When this project is fully implemented, the joint airspace control area will extend from the Aegean Sea to the Caspian Basin.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,859
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

Head of Defense Industry Prof. Dr. Haluk Gorgun:

"HAKİM Air Command Control System is one of the most critical joint projects of Azerbaijan and Turkish Air Forces.

With this project, the air forces of both countries have the opportunity to carry out joint operations, as well as to control the Azerbaijani airspace.

When this project is fully implemented, the joint airspace control area will extend from the Aegean Sea to the Caspian Basin.

Turkish version of NORAD pretty much.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,689
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Re-agreements were reached on the approval of F-16 B70s, lifting existing sanctions by US, the Customs Union update and visa-free travel to the EU. And on the EF T4s, which stand as an alternative to the B70, I think there were assurances about potential problems that could create procurement risks. I mean Germany.

It's not just Sweden that is on the scales here - there are many other issues at stake, ranging from the EU's energy security to the acceleration of some other issues due to Ukraine war. This is because the President interrupted his meeting with the NATO secretary and went into a meeting with the president of the European Council. There is a three-legged bargaining table here. The Atlantic pact, the structure representing the interests of NATO and the US, the structure representing the interests of the EU and European states, and on the third leg, the stakeholders Sweden and Turkiye.

According to various NATO sources, TR got what it wanted from the table. But I think the most important detail is Stoltenberg's statement that the timetable of the Turkish Parliament should be respected. In other words, just before the meetings, RTE's political leverage to frustrate the ambivalence of the US congress seems to have paid off.

The conditions are difficult for us, yes, but there are very difficult conditions surrounding the other stakeholders at the table. If there is no win-win agreement, NATO will not only die mentally but also physically. The Swedish-Turkish dialogue is a key factor shaping NATO's future.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Re-agreements were reached on the approval of F-16 B70s, lifting existing sanctions by US, the Customs Union update and visa-free travel to the EU. And on the EF T4s, which stand as an alternative to the B70, I think there were assurances about potential problems that could create procurement risks. I mean Germany.

It's not just Sweden that is on the scales here - there are many other issues at stake, ranging from the EU's energy security to the acceleration of some other issues due to Ukraine war. This is because the President interrupted his meeting with the NATO secretary and went into a meeting with the president of the European Council. There is a three-legged bargaining table here. The Atlantic pact, the structure representing the interests of NATO and the US, the structure representing the interests of the EU and European states, and on the third leg, the stakeholders Sweden and Turkiye.

According to various NATO sources, TR got what it wanted from the table. But I think the most important detail is Stoltenberg's statement that the timetable of the Turkish Parliament should be respected. In other words, just before the meetings, RTE's political leverage to frustrate the ambivalence of the US congress seems to have paid off.

The conditions are difficult for us, yes, but there are very difficult conditions surrounding the other stakeholders at the table. If there is no win-win agreement, NATO will not only die mentally but also physically. The Swedish-Turkish dialogue is a key factor shaping NATO's future.
Yeah yeah, we got what we wanted. Pigs can fly and unicorns are real.

Bunu kabul edenlerin Allah belasını versin.

You will see that all those empty promises will be forgotten after Sweden enters NATO.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,689
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yeah yeah, we got what we wanted. Pigs can fly and unicorns are real.

Bunu kabul edenlerin Allah belasını versin.

You will see that all those empty promises will be forgotten after Sweden enters NATO.
Why are you so surprised? When the cabinet was formed, it was already clear that the NATO process would somehow move forward. Time will tell what we got and what we didn't. The above statement is not mine, and as I wrote in the other thread, I think that most of these promised elements will not materialize. NATO's secretary general pointed to October. What is achieved until October will be a gain, beyond that I am not hopeful too. From my point of view, it would be a more acceptable outcome if Europe doesn't get ridiculous in the next Syrian operation, and in the meantime there is progress in the Israel-Turkiye-EU triangle, such as energy engagement and also revision of the customs union, than if we get nothing at all.

Concrete steps are now needed to solve some engine issues and ofc modernize the existing fleet. Since we cannot do this through China and Russia, Sweden should not gain parliamentary approval before this development.

Osman

Committed member
Reactions
2 463
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Revision of customs union was always on the table and eu side waited for the elections expecting the victory of KK, but ok since RTE has 5 more years they are not against to agree with him since they really want modernization of Customs Union.

Cenkcnk

Committed member
Reactions
1 354
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Everybody knew he was going to approve as he always does.
We should have got our F35's, and had all the sanctions lifted by all nato members instead of empty shouting.
If Sweden's security is important for nato, our security should be important for them too. Our security can only be provided with modern weapons. The argument should be simple: How can we survive while our nato member keep us getting more weapons?

Top Bottom