Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,042
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
From 2016:

FARNBOROUGH, England — Airbus and Turkey's Roketsan have signed to arm Airbus' C-295 aircraft with laser-guided missiles and bombs, part of Airbus' drive to give the widely sold transport plane new roles.

The two firms signed a memorandum of understanding at the Farnborough International Airshow on Wednesday to team on the design, integration and testing of Roketsan weapons, including the 70mm laser-guided Cirit missile and the long-range, laser-guided L-UMTAS anti-tank missile, as well as the Teber laser-guided bomb.

"There is a clear opportunity for us to address the global requirement for a cost-effective, armed utility aircraft, and Roketsan's product range and proven expertise make them the obvious partner," said Airbus' head of military aircraft, Fernando Alonso.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
1.jpg

Koc Savunma exported an underwater phone to an unnamed country. The firm also signed a contract for another navy last year. The Firm has Echorium Diver Detection Sonar Family, Detection and Positioning System, Bullet Tracking System, Acoustic Tracking and Capture System, Underwater Model and Underwater Phone

ST_EN-2_auto_x1_colored_toned.jpg

MASA

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
From 2016:

FARNBOROUGH, England — Airbus and Turkey's Roketsan have signed to arm Airbus' C-295 aircraft with laser-guided missiles and bombs, part of Airbus' drive to give the widely sold transport plane new roles.

The two firms signed a memorandum of understanding at the Farnborough International Airshow on Wednesday to team on the design, integration and testing of Roketsan weapons, including the 70mm laser-guided Cirit missile and the long-range, laser-guided L-UMTAS anti-tank missile, as well as the Teber laser-guided bomb.

"There is a clear opportunity for us to address the global requirement for a cost-effective, armed utility aircraft, and Roketsan's product range and proven expertise make them the obvious partner," said Airbus' head of military aircraft, Fernando Alonso.

Turkish defence expert Kublai Han explained that wings of C-295 were strengthened and can carry on 3 hardpoints 800 kg, 500 kg and 300 kg weapon laods as well different guns at gunners door. Plane is already certified to fly with two weapon loaded hardpoints.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,684
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkish defence expert Kublai Han explained that wings of C-295 were strengthened and can carry on 3 hardpoints 800 kg, 500 kg and 300 kg weapon laods as well different guns at gunners door. Plane is already certified to fly with two weapon loaded hardpoints.
In this configuration and at 50+ million dollar each (India is thinking of 62 of these for 3+billion dollars) and carrying live pilots , they are not as expendable as an Akinci or Aksungur UAV which are less than half the cost.
That is if they are only to be used as bombers! Then my money is on our Akinci and Aksungur UAV’s.

MASA

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
In this configuration and at 50+ million dollar each (India is thinking of 62 of these for 3+billion dollars) and carrying live pilots , they are not as expendable as an Akinci or Aksungur UAV which are less than half the cost.
That is if they are only to be used as bombers! Then my money is on our Akinci and Aksungur UAV’s.
Not only they can be equipped for maritime roles . ADS is partner of Roketsan and there will be no ITAR restrictions from Turkey. Imagine this plane with Atmaca , SOM-J and Orka.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,684
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not only they can be equipped for maritime roles . ADS is partner of Roketsan and there will be no ITAR restrictions from Turkey. Imagine this plane with Atmaca , SOM-J and Orka.
Orka can be launched from Aksungur. SOM-J is going to be launched from Akinci. For our own use I would prefer these platforms. Much cheaper and less dangerous for us!
Atmaca is a big missile. Over 800 kg in mass and ~ 5.2 metres. According to specs of this aircraft the wing maximum weight limit for external bomb is 800kg. I can‘t see it carrying a 5.2m missile at it’s weight limit!
Atmaca is designed for surface to surface missions anyway!
It can however carry SOM A,B or C variants at 600kg , 3.65 metres. But probably be more comfortable with the smaller brother SOM-J.
But I agree with you that we should support this project and let them sell this aircraft with our weapons fitted.

MASA

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Orka can be launched from Aksungur. SOM-J is going to be launched from Akinci. For our own use I would prefer these platforms. Much cheaper and less dangerous for us!
Atmaca is a big missile. Over 800 kg in mass and ~ 5.2 metres. According to specs of this aircraft the wing maximum weight limit for external bomb is 800kg. I can‘t see it carrying a 5.2m missile at it’s weight limit!
Atmaca is designed for surface to surface missions anyway!
It can however carry SOM A,B or C variants at 600kg , 3.65 metres. But probably be more comfortable with the smaller brother SOM-J.
But I agree with you that we should support this project and let them sell this aircraft with our weapons fitted.

RBS15 Mk3 could be integrated.
It was the first time the plane was seen conducting test flights with weapons.
I expect that detailed informations will follow.
CN-235 MPA Indonesian Navy variant can carry Harpoon and Exocet M-39.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Cabatli_53 do u already have some infos on new products which will be displayed on this years IDEF ?

No bro, we are just predicting about new products to be revealed but when IDEF are started, We will share each details in our forum. Some of us will be there.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,684
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
RBS15 Mk3 could be integrated.
It was the first time the plane was seen conducting test flights with weapons.
I expect that detailed informations will follow.
CN-235 MPA Indonesian Navy variant can carry Harpoon and Exocet M-39.
If you investigate in detail all the missiles you have quoted when in “air-launched” form are around 630-690kg in weight and 3.8-4.6m in length.
Harpoon air launched : 690kg & 3.8m
Exocet air launched ((M39) : 670kg & 4.6m
RBS15 Mk3 air launched : 630kg & 4.3m

All these missiles have shorter ranges than Atmaca. (Only RBS15 Mk3 with W250km, come close to revealed Atmaca range. Atmaca’s firing range is given as 280-360km)
If Atmaca disposes off it’s booster then the length and weight will be accommodated on the plane in question. But that is a matter of redesigning the missile for air launching. Since we have SOM C and SOM-J coming soon , I don’t think there will be an air launched Atmaca very soon!

Stimpy75

Committed member
Türkiye Correspondent
Reactions
4 928
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I will be there inşallah, my kayınço already got an info mail from idef to get the invitation, been there the last three times and it gets better every time

Hexciter

Experienced member
Reactions
4 11,447
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If you investigate in detail all the missiles you have quoted when in “air-launched” form are around 630-690kg in weight and 3.8-4.6m in length.

All these missiles have shorter ranges than Atmaca. (Only RBS15 Mk3 with W250km, come close to revealed Atmaca range. Atmaca’s firing range is given as 280-360km)
If Atmaca disposes off it’s booster then the length and weight will be accommodated on the plane in question. But that is a matter of redesigning the missile for air launching. Since we have SOM C and SOM-J coming soon , I don’t think there will be an air launched Atmaca very soon!
If Air Force Command and/or Navy Command (to use with Marine Patrol aircrafts) wishes to have a sea-skimming ASuW than there’ll be air-launched Atmaca (sans booster).

A

adenl

I will be there inşallah, my kayınço already got an info mail from idef to get the invitation, been there the last three times and it gets better every time
We will all be looking forward to your pictures!:giggle:

MASA

Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany

Right you can't build a poor man's P8 on the C 295 platform. RBS would fit without booster.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,684
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
If Air Force Command and/or Navy Command (to use with Marine Patrol aircrafts) wishes to have a sea-skimming ASuW than there’ll be air-launched Atmaca (sans booster).
Yes that is possible. But Atmaca is not a stealthy missile! It is a sea skimming missile. So , say a frigate with a radar mast of approximately 35m can see the Atmaca flying 1m above sea level, from 25km away. This gives the frigate 40 seconds reaction time for defence. This is hard but achievable. So multiple missiles are needed to saturate ship defences.
SOM class missiles (J and C) too can be surface skimming missiles. But they are structurally, geometrically and most importantly materially stealthy missiles. Enemy radars won’t be able to register them on their screens. And by the time they are noticed it will be too late. If I were given the choice for air launched missiles, my money would be on the SOM.
Before air launched Atmaca , it is more urgent that we have land to sea and Sea to land versions of these missiles. ( I know that work is being done to this effect and that they are coming soon)

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom