Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,721
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

These are good news, I wish the amount was bigger to be honest, but nevertheless good news.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,047
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Interest rate was finally hiked by 2 percent today, most likely not enough to save Lira but at least something.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,140
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkish economy is back up to pre-pandemic levels with Capacity Utilization Rate of 74.6% where it was down to its lowest of 61.6% in April.

EiqtjzaWAAc0yl0

Last edited:

Captain_Azeri_76

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
https://www.aa.com.tr/tr/ekonomi/eb...er-ekonomide-iyilesmeye-isaret-ediyor/1991980

EBRD Chief Economist Kelly pointing to an improvement in the economy; Preliminary data in Turkey marked the beginning of improvement in the economy, 'our estimates, this year's second half includes the continuation of the increases we have seen in the data so far.'

The regional chief economist of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), Roger Kelly, said about the latest preliminary data that this is the beginning of an improvement of the Turkish economy. After the EBRD revised its growth forecasts for the countries where it operates, Kelly said the Turkish economy, like all economies, was affected by the epidemic.
Kelly said: "After the economy shrunk by 3. 5 percent this year, we expect growth at the 5 percent level (in Turkey) in 2021."

Commenting on the assessment of the latest economic indicators for Turkey, Kelly said: "The latest leading data point to the beginning of the recovery of the economy and our forecasts include continued growth of the previous data in the second half of this year. Turkey has a driving force behind its economy, which is consumption, and has a tendency to recover quickly. Therefore, we have a strong growth forecast for 2021," he said. Kelly warned that a renewed increase in measures at a social distance in the coming period could hamper economic recovery due to a possible second wave of the epidemic.

“A change in the direction of trade can be beneficial for Turkey”, said Roger Kelly, referring to the economic impact of the Corona outbreak, the performance of the Turkish lira, the macroeconomic balance and geographical risks, as well as potential difficulties. Kelly: “The epidemic could also offer some opportunities for the Turkish economy. Especially with regard to the change of direction, because companies want to shorten their supply chains. Turkey’s geographical location, with its flexible production base, may offer opportunities for closer trade with the centre. In particular in trade with the EU...

"The decision to raise interest rates was a bold move", said Kelly, who also assessed recent monetary policy steps: "The fact that the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey has raised interest rates for the first time in the last two years is hopefully a sign that macroeconomic stability is being brought back into focus. Very sensitive times for policymakers... The recovery is still fragile and is in the early stages of the process. In this sense, the decision to raise interest rates was a courageous step. I hope that this is a sign that the authorities are ready to take the necessary political steps to maintain an appropriate balance between recovery and macroeconomic stability."

Ravenman

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,528
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I changed 25.500 euro's today to Turkish lira's because i will buy a house.

At the change office i saw locals doing exact the opposite, changing their lira's for dollars and euros. Traitors.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,721
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

At the change office i saw locals doing exact the opposite, changing their lira's for dollars and euros. Traitors.
It is understandable mate, but what's important is that they're keeping the money in the country, and will spend it as they need it.

They just don't want to lose money to inflation.

Also good luck with your house hunt :)

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,140
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

90%, that means we still import more than we export. It should always be the other way around.
This ratio has been around 67% for ages. 90% is a dream come true. Of course we want better but we also need to remember where we have been before. Turkey also has revenue from tourism, construction work abroad, expat money transfers and such to make ends meet.

Last edited:

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,047
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
It only went towards 90% when imports became expensive, due to the crashing currency.

Tornadoss

Contributor
Reactions
4 2,533
Nation of residence
Czechia
Nation of origin
Turkey

So you can have euros but others can't?

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,047
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am from Europe. I brought those Euro's to Turkey and changed it to Lira's. Why would i keep Euros in my pocket in Turkey?

What exactly does make you a traitor, when you exchange Lira for Euro? Havent heard such a dumb statement in a while.

Tornadoss

Contributor
Reactions
4 2,533
Nation of residence
Czechia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am from Europe. I brought those Euro's to Turkey and changed it to Lira's. Why would i keep Euros in my pocket in Turkey?
You can not blame people who earns tl and their money burns of when you earn euros. Did you change all euros you got at your bank account? Or the just part of it that is enough to buy a house? It's easy to speak for you.

Top Bottom