The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,301
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
hi

I want to ask if som missile did reach to 800km range , long time ago an turkish-arab member in another arab forum posted a news on 2013 that SOM was tested and reached 800km . after googling it I didn't read any reliable source on that matter until I found this old news , saying and I quote :

(( In 2011, the Turkish government announced plans to develop a missile with a maximum range of 2,500 kilometers, not revealing whether it would be ballistic or cruise. Although little information about the program has been released, a Turkish Cabinet minister claimed in January 2013 that Turkey possessed capabilities to produce a missile with a range of 800 kilometers. That claim has never been confirmed ))

so is it true ?

Ther will be a cruise missile and we call it GEZGIN, not SOM anymore.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,121
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

FB1hhmWVQAAKpAO

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,682
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ther will be a cruise missile and we call it GEZGIN, not SOM anymore.
Gezgin is supposedly a cruise missile similar to US’s Tomahawk. Very long range subsonic missile that is powered by a disposable turbofan jet engine.
SOM is more akin to a Storm-Shadow or JSSM. These are “stand-off“ missiles like our SOM.
Storm shadow of MBDA is larger and heavier than SOM, low observable like SOM and has a range of 550+km.
JSSM on the other hand is US’s ”stand-off” missile again with low observable profile and a range of 370km. It too is heavier than our SOM.
Both these missiles have ER (extended range) versions with significant range advantages. Our SOM hopefully will have such extended ranges.
All these missiles are air launched. Yet Gezgin, like Tomahawk, is going to be surface launched.

Last edited:

Tornadoss

Contributor
Reactions
4 2,533
Nation of residence
Czechia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Gezgin is supposedly a cruise missile similar to US’s Tomahawk. Very long range subsonic missile that is powered by a disposable turbofan jet engine.
SOM is more akin to a Storm-Shadow or JSSM. These are “stand-off“ missiles like our SOM.
Storm shadow of MBDA is larger and heavier than SOM, low observable like SOM and has a range of 550+km.
JSSM on the other hand is US’s ”stand-off” missile again with low observable profile and a range of 370km. It too is heavier than our SOM.
Both these missiles have ER (extended range) versions with significant range advantages. Our SOM hopefully will have such extended ranges.
All these missiles are air launched. Yet Gezgin, like Tomahawk, is going to be surface launched.
Will be there any work on larger som with longer distance? I guess, if this will happen, we would need a bigger engine then KTJ-3200.

Last edited:
T

Turko

Will be there any work on larger some with longer distance? I guess, if this will happen, we would need a bigger engine then KTJ-3200.
What about twin engine? It wouldnt be able to give more thrust to carry more fuel?

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,682
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is there any missile with twin engines?
None as far as I know. Even though these missiles have disposable engines, they still cost quite a bit. To waste two at a time would be too extravagant! Never mind the weight and space restrictions they would have to tackle.

Last edited:

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,680
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
SOM can easily reach 500km without much change. What limits it is its engine. French engine is limited in its operation time. It is done intentionally by the French because of MTRC so there is no workaround.

Trakya_forever

Committed member
Reactions
4 572
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
SOM can easily reach 500km without much change. What limits it is its engine. French engine is limited in its operation time. It is done intentionally by the French because of MTRC so there is no workaround.
I heard that beforehand as well. If I am right, it is limited to 20 minutes.

According to İ. Sunnetci, the average speed of SOM nearly 0.65 Mach except therminal phase ( over 0.8 mach).

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,301
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

so with Kale engines we can expect 500 km range som?

T

Turko

Submarine launched SOMs would be great.

Also i just remembered pdf times.
Old habits hard die.

We could use retired fighters as cruise missiles, if it is urgent.

Siper>MMU

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,194
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Som with HI-HI-LO flight profile can easily reach 400km range. JSM can reach more than 400km with HI-HI-LO profile

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
the way of making this picture is making turkey to look like they are having a nuclear program or ballistic missile program :LOL: . lets hope greek won't cry about it in NATO the same way israel did to iran .

Oh, those facilities are under mountain ranges and hidden from all satellite imagery :)

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom