Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,735
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
The concept of USV mothership is very strange (read: useless) to me. What will it achieve that can't be achieved with adding a few platforms to existing warships' CICs? Supply? That can be arranged with existing ships, too. A more interesting thing would be a streamlined way to refuel USVs (helicopters?). That would mean USVs can accompany ships on longer missions, provide better cover against sea-skimming missiles, maybe aid with sensors and sonars and such.

Something better I just thought about is kind of like "missile trucks". Think about it, if the coalition in Red Sea had "missile trucks" USVs, the resupply of missiles can be very much streamlined. As it is, the ships need to go into a harbor to rearm. If you use tens of USVs with at most 4-8 missiles, you can juggle them around and be much more creative with force composition. It would also take a huge burden off the main ships as they would have one less job to fulfill.

That's just my 2 cents though. I might be wrong.
The thought process behind my idea is that with 65 metre catamaran mothership (as it was the example I used in the post) you could easily have 6 USVs with (going by the ranges given by our companies) around 400 kms of range and that could have 2-4 Çakırs, and within the ship enough room to store and replace those missiles without a need to go back to port or without risking the mothership as it can remain well out of the range of missiles and as it has 2 decks, or rather 1 very large deck, you can load it up with air defence easily.

Might I suggest you take a look at this?
My idea was focused on USVs specifically to maximise their potential with a ship solely focused on USVs. The ship in the video is more of an all-purpose ship, not that that is a bad thing, it looks like a very good concept.

Last edited:

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,241
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The thought process behind my idea is that with 65 metre catamaran mothership (as it was the example I used in the post) you could easily have 6 USVs with (going by the ranges given by our companies) around 400 kms of range and that could have 2-4 Çakırs, and within the ship enough room to store and replace those missiles without a need to go back to port or without risking the mothership as it can remain well out of the range of missiles and as it has 2 decks, or 1 very large deck, you can load it up with air defence easily.

My idea was focused on USVs specifically to maximise their potential with a ship solely focused on USVs. The ship in the video is more of an all-purpose ship, not that that is a bad thing, it looks like a very good concept.
That cleared things for me. The ability to re-arm at sea would be a huge thing.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,735
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
That cleared things for me. The ability to re-arm at sea would be a huge thing.
And we can give it a different USVs for different missions before leaving the port. We need extra anti-air in an area, load it up with USVs with Sungur or another anti-air system. If we are looking for submarines use USvs with anti-submarine capabilities and go hunting. And again, all of this can be done by using the USVs without really risking the mothership.

Basically, one ship that can change its mission profile as necessary and accomplish its mission without risking itself too much through proxies.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom