Abdelaziz

Contributor
Reactions
1 821
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Lebanon
Outstanding engineering achievement that opened up to the world from Eskişehir… After the Ecotorq engine and rear axle, now Turkey's first and only domestic transmission was designed, developed and produced by Ford Otosan; #BizdenBirParça "Ecotorq Gearbox". #FordTrucks #EveryLoadTogether
View attachment 33915
It was scheduled for 2020 ..despite the delay good job ... But as we know otokars isnt going to use it in military vehicles

Abdelaziz

Contributor
Reactions
1 821
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Lebanon
Outstanding engineering achievement that opened up to the world from Eskişehir… After the Ecotorq engine and rear axle, now Turkey's first and only domestic transmission was designed, developed and produced by Ford Otosan; #BizdenBirParça "Ecotorq Gearbox". #FordTrucks #EveryLoadTogether
View attachment 33915
But does any one knows if all rights and production capabilities belong to koç ? Or is there a foreign licences ?

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It was scheduled for 2020 ..despite the delay good job ... But as we know otokars isnt going to use it in military vehicles
Yes but if somehow things get calmer ecotorq engine and transmission might find their way for 4x4 armored vehicles. Especially for patrol and recon variants. Ecotorq engine has 3 variants 330 PS (325 HP), 420 PS (414 HP), 480 PS (473 HP). Ecotorq series of engines completely satisfy Euro 6 emission regulations and the engine is designed to be compatible with Euro 7 emission regulations.

IMHO ecotorq is not needed when we have Tümosan for those power requirements. Military engines shouldn't be designed according to civilian emission regulations.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
View attachment 33915
They should build military version too. 100% national Truck

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,049
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
They should build military version too. 100% national Truck

I'm pretty sure the Ford HQ is not interested in defence industry and neither would Otosan risk any adventures when their business is already smooth.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
I'm pretty sure the Ford HQ is not interested in defence industry and neither would Otosan risk any adventures when their business is already smooth.
It depends on who owns the IP rights, Mr. Varank said Otosan got a lot of R&D funding from government. Yes Ford HQ is not investing in defence industry despite their chassis used by many companies but Ford Otosan developed these engine and transmission systems in Turkey, Ford Otosan might not produce military trucks but they can sell militarized version of chassis, engine and transmission to Otokar.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,049
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
It depends on who owns the IP rights, Mr. Varank said Otosan got a lot of R&D funding from government. Yes Ford HQ is not investing in defence industry despite their chassis used by many companies but Ford Otosan developed these engine and transmission systems in Turkey, Ford Otosan might not produce military trucks but they can sell militarized version of chassis, engine and transmission to Otokar.

FMC holds 41% and obviously the name Ford. I'm pretty sure that it would not be good for Otosans business to go against the wishes of their partner. They might decide to do more business elsewhere. There's a reason why Koc is investing in defence products only through Otokar.

Abdelaziz

Contributor
Reactions
1 821
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Lebanon
FMC holds 41% and obviously the name Ford. I'm pretty sure that it would not be good for Otosans business to go against the wishes of their partner. They might decide to do more business elsewhere. There's a reason why Koc is investing in defence products only through Otokar.
The same what i expected .. i am sure that they got tech support from ford for their engine and transmission (i am not against that ) and even if they hold the ip rights .. but ford ows 41% of ford otosan... And koç cant loss their foreign parteners .. that is why the gov invested in bmc power .. fordotosan engine and transsmision looks oriented to civilian sector unlike bmc and tümosan who focus mainly on defence sector

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,141
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Roketsan is working on reusable liquid-fueled booster rockets for space applications.
In a similar fashion as SpaceX is doing.

A good strategy I must say. But the audience is a little impatient; we are looking for faster progress. I am.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,953
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
1634714185052.png

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,717
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
We definitely needed all these motors.
But why on earth no one has ever given the go ahead to TEI to design and produce a turbofan motor for TFX or even for Hurjet?
Instead of tossing around with TR Motor and now with Ivchenko Progress, it is beyond belief that TEI has not been asked to do the honours.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,728
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
We definitely needed all these motors.
But why on earth no one has ever given the go ahead to TEI to design and produce a turbofan motor for TFX or even for Hurjet?
Instead of tossing around with TR Motor and now with Ivchenko Progress, it is beyond belief that TEI has not been asked to do the honours.
Probably to increase competition I guess
You cant have one company just do each and everything

Although some ppl did state in this site, long ago, that SSB gave the deal to TR Motor due to something like IP rights or the fact that TAI and TEI are partially owned by US
Iam not sure but some1 did reply to that exact question of yours long ago

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,717
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Probably to increase competition I guess
You cant have one company just do each and everything

Although some ppl did state in this site, long ago, that SSB gave the deal to TR Motor due to something like IP rights or the fact that TAI and TEI are partially owned by US
Iam not sure but some1 did reply to that exact question of yours long ago
That is not the case I am afraid.
IP rights issue was to do with Rolls Royce and TR Motor. Also converging all engine production under the same umbrella would give more control. But can TRMotor be up to the task of designing such a complex engine? Probably not as they are seeking technical input from Ivchenko Progress.

What is the competition?
Is there anyone else in Turkey that is more qualified than TEI to succeed in this project? They are the sole and foremost people in Turkey who can produce an engine with most indigenous content.
Mr Aksit has reiterated many times that when they produce an indigenous engine like T90 or TS1400 they do it separately from GE line of production. Cost of development and other aspects are so that GE is not involved. But as a share holder they are notified and profit sharing is done accordingly when production commences.
There is an understanding between TAI and GE on matters involving indigenous engine development.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,049
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The same what i expected .. i am sure that they got tech support from ford for their engine and transmission (i am not against that ) and even if they hold the ip rights .. but ford ows 41% of ford otosan... And koç cant loss their foreign parteners .. that is why the gov invested in bmc power .. fordotosan engine and transsmision looks oriented to civilian sector unlike bmc and tümosan who focus mainly on defence sector

The good news is engineers working today on a new engine or transmission with Ford Otosan, can be the engineers of another defence related engine in the future. One way or the other R&D will always benefit the entire economy.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kale ARGE is developing two turbojet engines;

- A small turbojet engine for light air platforms and missiles
- New engine similar in dimensions to KTJ-3200 but with improved Thrust/Fuel Consumption

Performance tests of both engines are to begin soon.

---
1634730588739.png

KTJ-3200 has the ability to provide "Overthrust" thrust when the platform requires more thrust, churning up to 38-40,000 rpm.

KTJ-3200 Low-rate initial production deliveries are continuing in 2021, full-rate serial production is to begin at the start of 2022.

Based on current production plans, Kale ARGE will be able to produce 150 KTJ-3200 engines per year with the capability to expand production capacity.
---

Last edited:

Abdelaziz

Contributor
Reactions
1 821
Nation of residence
England(UK)
Nation of origin
Lebanon
The good news is engineers working today on a new engine or transmission with Ford Otosan, can be the engineers of another defence related engine in the future. One way or the other R&D will always benefit the entire economy.
Yes ..these multible engines production adventures will spread the knowledge .. also this engine could be used in many civilian platforms like construction vehicles , small boots ,generators..etc

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom