Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,532
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
TV3 engine of Motor Sich is planned to be used in ATAK 2 and cargo helicopter projects.

If TRmotor could takeover 50% of Motor Sich it would be very good (also for developing the TFx engine)

But it would cost ~$3.5bln

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
TV3 engine of Motor Sich is planned to be used in ATAK 2 and cargo helicopter projects.

If TRmotor could takeover 50% of Motor Sich it would be very good (also for developing the TFx engine)

But it would cost ~$3.5bln

How likely is it that TEI would continue the development of TS3000 if such a route is taken; granted - Ukrainian engine will save a lot of time, money and likely we won't see any restrictions on exports, but.. mili.. 😕

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,532
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
TEI can continue development of TS3000. When you want perfection also in aircraft engines you will need competition. In the future these companies could even merge if needed (a way how companies grow). TEI could be stakeholder in that 50%.

Anyway these are things that have to be decided on state level

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,110
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
How likely is it that TEI would continue the development of TS3000 if such a route is taken; granted - Ukrainian engine will save a lot of time, money and likely we won't see any restrictions on exports, but.. mili.. 😕
The important thing is to learn the intricacies of design. If we can find out, then we can develop our own interpretation faster. The fact that the design is original should not be a priority for us. The issue will depend on how quickly we grasp their design and how quickly we develop better versions of it. So we shouldn't be able to think about these issues until we develop our own product family.

I'm saying this because we have a very limited time for R&D. We don't have 10 years. Any way to speed up our business is a priority for us.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,124
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TEI is part American, anything it acquires from Motor Sich will give them a say. I am not sure if they can make roadblocks in this case. Probably some other formula involving TR Motor and Baykar can be more favorable. Not that Baykar can shovel good amounts of money but when they have the purchasing power for thousands of engines it is more like you are a partner already. Like a vesting scheme that comes with long term commitment.

Some parts of Motor Sich is not really interesting for us in the short term like the passenger plane turbofans and some of its functions will certainly overlap with TEI's skills. A diligent analysis must be made to get to the right approach.

Last edited:

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,682
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
The important thing is to learn the intricacies of design. If we can find out, then we can develop our own interpretation faster. The fact that the design is original should not be a priority for us. The issue will depend on how quickly we grasp their design and how quickly we develop better versions of it. So we shouldn't be able to think about these issues until we develop our own product family.

I'm saying this because we have a very limited time for R&D. We don't have 10 years. Any way to speed up our business is a priority for us.
If Motor Sich could build an AI41 or even an AI31 copy , then I would jump in to this opportunity. But at the moment they are good at building what they have in their current library. Mainly high by-pass civil airliner engines, small cruise missile engines and turbo shafts and also a small supersonic capable trainer/light attack craft engine which the Chinese are using.
The advantages we would get are great. We can cut down the learning curve and time we would spend on R&D with what they know and have in place. But the fact that they have not produced a totally newly developed engine since the collapse of Soviets, worries me. A good diligent study of what they can offer has to be put on the table before making a decision. But having said that ; Why did the Chinese wanted to purchase this company so much when they themselves were further than we are in building a turbofan?

Last edited:

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Turkey's first Medium Range Missile Engine TEI-TJ300, class of 1342 N, reaching 240mm in diameter with a thrust broke the world record.

TEI-TJ300; It can be applied to air, naval and land defense systems.

I wouldn't imagine it could sustain it for that long, after all these engine are single use and should use cheapest material possible. Still, damn fine engineering from TEI.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,124
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wouldn't imagine it could sustain it for that long, after all these engine are single use and should use cheapest material possible. Still, damn fine engineering from TEI.
I bet they are using thicker material for prototypes and probably they can go for flimsier for production. They should hit a balance for durability and weight. But the primary goal is making it work and the secondary goal is to make it work better.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,680
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The closest competitor has a 250mm diameter and 1250N thrust. TJ-300 is lighter, smaller but produces more thrust. I think TEI did enough optimizations TEI should get to the reliability and durability tests ASAP like rain, hail tests etc.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I bet they are using thicker material for prototypes and probably they can go for flimsier for production. They should hit a balance for durability and weight. But the primary goal is making it work and the secondary goal is to make it work better.

They are mentioning Tubitak in their post, I wonder what for? Single Crystal turbine blades ?

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
The closest competitor has a 250mm diameter and 1250N thrust. TJ-300 is lighter, smaller but produces more thrust. I think TEI did enough optimizations TEI should get to the reliability and durability tests ASAP like rain, hail tests etc.

Could you name the competitors engine ?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,124
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
They are mentioning Tubitak in their post, I wonder what for? Single Crystal turbine blades ?
Probably, but this size engines usually have cooler exhaust temperature and it is easier to make turbine blades which are probably cast as a single unit like blisks.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom