21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

Turkey receives first signals from its mini satellite Grizu-263A​

BY DAILY SABAH WITH AGENCIES​

ISTANBUL JAN 14, 2022 - 12:28 PM GMT+3

Turkey’s first mini satellite Grizu-263A is launched on SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida, U.S., Jan. 13, 2022. (AA Photo)
Turkey’s first mini satellite Grizu-263A is launched on SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida, U.S., Jan. 13, 2022. (AA Photo)

Designed by a team of young engineers, Turkey’s first mini satellite successfully emitted its first signals, its developer said late Thursday.

“The first signals were successfully received from our satellite Grizu-263A. Our satellite is alive!!!,” Grizu-263 Space Team said on Twitter.

Designed by a team of students from Bülent Ecevit University in the northern province of Zonguldak, Turkey’s first PocketQube satellite project was launched into space on Thursday on U.S. aerospace company SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral in the U.S. state of Florida.

“Pride. We designed, manufactured, tested and launched into space. Now our satellite, Grizu-263A, is on its duty safe and sound,” space team captain Çağla Aytaç Dursun said in a tweet.

The Grizu-263 Space Team has been known for its efforts on space and satellite technologies since it was established in 2016.

Backed by the country’s leading steel manufacturer Erdemir, the team launched many projects that won various trophies in national and international contests.

Named after a firedamp (“grizu” in Turkish) explosion that killed 263 miners in the Kozlu district in 1992, the Grizu-263 has been working on the PocketQube satellite for the last five years.

Students in the northern province of Zonguldak watch as Turkey’s first mini satellite Grizu-263A is launched on SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida, U.S., Jan. 13, 2022. (IHA Photo)
Students in the northern province of Zonguldak watch as Turkey’s first mini satellite Grizu-263A is launched on SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida, U.S., Jan. 13, 2022. (IHA Photo)

A PocketQube is a miniaturized satellite for space research that is 5 cubic centimeters (0.31 cubic inches) and has a mass of no more than 250 grams.

Grizu-263A is designed to operate in a low-Earth orbit of roughly 525 kilometers (326 miles) for four years and eight months. One of its missions will be to take photos of the Earth.

“We will break a new ground globally when we succeed in taking a photo with a PocketQube satellite,” Dursun had said last week.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan also praised the launch.

“I congratulate our young people, teachers and supporting institutions that showed the success of taking part in this project that was the first from Turkey,” Erdoğan said on Twitter.

The Grizu-263 Space Team won first prize in Turkey’s largest technology and aviation festival Teknofest in 2019, he added.

The team aims to further rev up efforts to expand its presence in international competitions.

The Grizu-263 has participated in NASA's satellite competition “AAS CanSat” since 2017. It ranked 25th in 2017 and second in 2018 and 2019. In 2020 and 2021, the team’s projects ranked fourth.

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 430
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Next year there is supposed to be a moon mission but is DeltaV's paraffin fuel enough to provide huge thrust required for it?

I don't think so. I think paraffin is only good for small sounding rockets or last stage that require smaller thrust. https://news.stanford.edu/news/2003/november5/rocketwax-115.html

I believe it does not scale well because paraffin wax aka CANDLE is not the right fuel for big EXPLOSIVE thrust. I think kerosene is the best fuel for this job. What do you guys think? Do you expect a fiasco next year like me?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,075
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Next year there is supposed to be a moon mission but is DeltaV's paraffin fuel enough to provide huge thrust required for it?

I don't think so. I think paraffin is only good for small sounding rockets or last stage that require smaller thrust. https://news.stanford.edu/news/2003/november5/rocketwax-115.html

I believe it does not scale well because paraffin wax aka CANDLE is not the right fuel for big EXPLOSIVE thrust. I think kerosene is the best fuel for this job. What do you guys think? Do you expect a fiasco next year like me?
DeltaV rocket is not for first stage, first stage is on a SpaceX Falcon9.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
9 9,040
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Turkish "Moon mission" 2023 is even more pathetic than UAE's "Mars mission" then. Sickeningly embarrassing to me, considering how relatively well Iran is doing despite all the sanctions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Space_Agency
Iran has trouble putting 10kg in orbit. What are you talking about. Embarrassing to you? Who are you? If you're not a senior engineer at NASA or SpaceX then sit down and let the Turkish youth do their work at the pace they see fit.

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 430
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Huh? Iran literally shut down their space program due to funding cuts.
Funding does not mean incompetence. They CAN do it but they chose not to do it for financial reasons. We simply just CAN'T. That's the difference. We are not even close to 2008's Iran. Like I said I am disgusted.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,075
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't like the pace of Turkish space program as it is but by 2028 TUA is planning to put 1500kg payloads to orbits as high as 750km. This will be a milestone after which we may be looking at better numbers.

I would fast forward to 10 years into the future to get excited about our space endeavor.

neosinan

Committed member
Reactions
7 970
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,594
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We are ahead in space tech as a whole compared to Iran. Don't forget launch systems are only a portion of the space tech. Also, we have one of the best hybrid launch system programs in the world.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,075
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
So funny we haven't yet settled the coining of the word for space-farers in Turkish.
TUA should give a prize to the person who suggests the name that will be accepted.
I have a candidate but I am not saying it now as it is very precious.

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 430
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
http://www.deltav.com.tr/

The lame company that's supposed to be responsible for our moon rocket and it's website:

Roketsan is not much better either.

Dozens of companies around the world are doing 100 times better than our entire nation of 85 million.
Like I said our current state of space program even so called "ambitious" future national goals are sickeningly pathetic.

godel44

Reactions
8 393
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

The lame company that's supposed to be responsible for our moon rocket and it's website:

Dozens of companies around the world are doing 100 times better than our entire nation of 85 million.
Like I said our current state of space program even so called "ambitious" future national goals are sickeningly pathetic.

The work DeltaV is doing is extremely promising and Roketsan is also excellent. I am quite optimistic about our space program.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,075
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

How much time and money have we put in space technology, very very small.
Those countries with companies that can do space work have started developing space technology much earlier than we did so they have the accumulated human capital and money to do a good job. Space technology has military applications therefore countries do not want to share their existing technology so we have to develop our own technology from zero. There will be a learning curve and R&D works that have to be gotten past until we can make some meaningful achievement. Just 5 years from now we expect to put 1500kg payload in 750km orbit. This is a success in a very short time, (when it happens). It would be nice if we started earlier and have achieved 10 tons to orbit but we did not have the stability to spend any money on anything that won't pay off in only 3 years.

After the 5 year starter works and a decade into space development I expect we will be able to lift 10 tons to LEO. In a decades time from today I expect that we will be able to send probes to outer space for explorations and access low orbit with our reentry vehicles. It is not too hard as there are precedents that we can follow steps of and improve upon for strategies.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom