What Risk Do Moroccan Planes Take If They Violate Algerian Airspace?

CEZAYIRLI

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Algeria

What Risk Do Moroccan Planes Take If They Violate Algerian Airspace?
18:18 23.09.2021

Algeria's ban on Moroccan planes overflighting its airspace implies the implementation of an air police procedure in the event of a violation. The Algerian army could hire fighter jets to force these now hostile planes out of airspace or even land in an emergency.

In the wake of the severance of diplomatic relations with Morocco, Algeria decided, Wednesday, September 22, 2021, to close its airspace to planes from its western neighbor. The measure, with immediate effect, was adopted at a meeting of the High Security Council chaired by Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune.

"The meeting of the High Security Council was devoted to examining the developments at the borders with the Kingdom of Morocco, with regard to the continuation of provocations and hostile practices on the Moroccan side. The High Security Council decided to immediately close it down. Algerian airspace to all Moroccan civil and military aircraft as well as to those bearing a Moroccan registration number, from this day forward, "said a statement from the HCS.

CN prefix
The statement does not specify the reasons behind this exceptional ban which makes Morocco the second country to be banned from flying over Algeria after Israel. Is it possible that the Algerian government took this decision to avoid any attempt to intrude an Israeli plane registered in Morocco into its airspace, while cooperation between Rabat and Tel Aviv continues to strengthen?

Still, according to the press release from the High Security Council, this measure concerns all aircraft that carry a "Moroccan registration number", therefore with the prefix CN issued by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), even if they are the property of persons or companies of nationality other than Moroccan.

Located in the north of the continent, Algeria is a country difficult to circumvent due to its large area, especially for Morocco which is almost "landlocked" in the extreme west of North Africa. It took very little time for this ban to come into effect, according to what was noted by "spotters", taken up by several media. According to these various sources, the last Moroccan plane to have flown over Algerian airspace would be a Royal Air Maroc Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner providing the link between Istanbul and Casablanca.

And the first plane to avoid entering Algerian skies is said to be a Cessna 650 Citation VII owned by Moroccan jet charter company Sarah Airways. After taking off from Tunis, the jet should have made a U-turn to then go back north and cross the Mediterranean and land at an airport near Rabat.

Concretely, what risks the crew of a Moroccan plane if they defy this ban? Contacted by Sputnik, a retired Algerian officer said, on condition of anonymity, that the "Moroccan planes now classified as hostile" will be immediately chased by the Algerian army's combat aircraft.

"There is a code of procedure for planes banned from flying over airspace. These are very strict rules of engagement. Air defense takes the aircraft by radar and then orders the dispatch of interceptor planes which take charge of 'invite the crew to leave the airspace immediately. If the plane continues its overflight, it is forced to land. But the operation can go as far as warning shots if it persists, "notes the source of Sputnik .

A mission for the MiG-25
In Algeria, the air police come under the command of the Territorial Air Defense Forces, which has a fleet of interceptors, including MiG-29s and also the famous MiG-25s. Acquired in the late 1970s, the MiG-25s have been modernized and are still in service in Algeria.

The same source indicates that the pilots of Algerian and Moroccan interceptor planes know each other well since they participated for several years "in the Circaète air security exercises organized by the 5 + 5 Defense Initiative which brings together the countries of the two shores of the Western Mediterranean ". "Moreover, the severance of diplomatic relations with Morocco blocks all actions within this military cooperation group," added the Algerian officer.

mohmed84

Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
FIRST what are moroccos' air capabilities, it's few F16 with older mirage F1/2000 and F5s these fighters need to penetrate deep into Algerian territory against modern layered air defense and heavy SU30 fighters. if they atempt to such endivour they won't find a country to return to it

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,397
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Why would morocco violate the airspace? Its not like it affected morocco alot. Only 15 airplanes a week. When it comes to the moroccan airforce they already getting the f16 viper block modernized+ 24 more f16 vipers making the number 48 planes. You guys really think su30 is a better plane then f16 viper?

NumidianCavalry

Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
You guys really think su30 is a better plane then f16 viper?
In which context?
You know you can't just go ahead and make model VS model comparisons, it makes no sense in the defense world.
Doctrine of usage and specific situations define the role of the air craft. In this case, within algeria's A2AD capabilities and its defensive posture, even the MIG-29s would be more than enough.
The era of dog fights is long behind us.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,397
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
In which context?
You know you can't just go ahead and make model VS model comparisons, it makes no sense in the defense world.
Doctrine of usage and specific situations define the role of the air craft. In this case, within algeria's A2AD capabilities and its defensive posture, even the MIG-29s would be more than enough.
The era of dog fights is long behind us.
You comparing a 1970 mig 29 with f16 viper who have partly hardware and software of a 5 generation fighter? Come on bro...

NumidianCavalry

Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
You comparing a 1970 mig 29 with f16 viper who have partly hardware and software of a 5 generation fighter? Come on bro...
The whole point of my post was about not making comparisons, I surely didn't make one myself.
Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying, I'll try again with more simplicity:

If the moroccan air force would take off approaching algerian air space they would be spotted by many layers of algerian radars and destroyed, along with their air base, before reaching the borders.

DANTE

Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
FIRST what are moroccos' air capabilities, it's few F16 with older mirage F1/2000 and F5s these fighters need to penetrate deep into Algerian territory against modern layered air defense and heavy SU30 fighters. if they atempt to such endivour they won't find a country to return to it
well i think that this article has more to do with civilian planes operated by the royal air maroc company instead of an eventual violation of the algerian airspace by a fighter jet in which case the algerian air force and air defense forces can put it down rightfully

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,397
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
The whole point of my post was about not making comparisons, I surely didn't make one myself.
Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying, I'll try again with more simplicity:

If the moroccan air force would take off approaching algerian air space they would be spotted by many layers of algerian radars and destroyed, along with their air base, before reaching the borders.
We where just talking about the aircraft but alright got your point👍 «Along with their airbase» is not really a defensive act. You contradict yourself now when you just mentioned that even mig29 would be more then enough. Anyway i got your point now. Whats the best defence system that algeria operate?

NumidianCavalry

Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
We where just talking about the aircraft but alright got your point👍 «Along with their airbase» is not really a defensive act. You contradict yourself now when you just mentioned that even mig29 would be more then enough. Anyway i got your point now. Whats the best defence system that algeria operate?

Attacking a neutral airbase is an act of aggression, attacking an airbase from which fighter aircrafts are attacking you is a defensive act. There is contradiction in my post.

There is no "best defense system" it doesn't work like that. I suggest you read about the A2AD.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,397
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Attacking a neutral airbase is an act of aggression, attacking an airbase from which fighter aircrafts are attacking you is a defensive act. There is contradiction in my post.

There is no "best defense system" it doesn't work like that. I suggest you read about the A2AD.
Yes contradiction. I just asked you about the best system they using even if it can be multiple systems complementing each other. I suggest you reading my question the right way. S400 is better then s300 or would you say no? Nonsense😂

NumidianCavalry

Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
Yes contradiction. I just asked you about the best system they using even if it can be multiple systems complementing each other. I suggest you reading my question the right way. S400 is better then s300 or would you say no? Nonsense😂
Oh my...

You think the S400 is emloyed against the same targets that the S300 is used for?
Who's better, the 120mm mortar or the Iskander-m?

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,397
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Oh my...

You think the S400 is emloyed against the same targets that the S300 is used for?
Who's better, the 120mm mortar or the Iskander-m?
Comparing a ballistic missile with a mortar? Anyway got your point, you misunderstood me👍

Nuclear

Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
Nobody Knows What Will Happen .... :sneaky:

5e60d7fb85600a317132113d.jpg

DANTE

Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
Yes it got developed during the 1970’s mr stalin

the aerodynamic formula was indeed developed back then in the 70-80's but the mig-29M2 sensors and weaponry are on par with any western fighter including the F-16V , all the so called 4++ gen aircrafts that are operated around the world have their designs established in the 70-80's even the eurocanards .

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,397
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
the aerodynamic formula was indeed developed back then in the 70-80's but the mig-29M2 sensors and weaponry are on par with any western fighter including the F-16V , all the so called 4++ gen aircrafts that are operated around the world have their designs established in the 70-80's even the eurocanards .

i dont think its on par woth f16 viper at all but i got your point. It got designed in the 1970’s and started it introduction in 1982.

DANTE

Reactions
Nation of residence
Algeria
Nation of origin
Algeria
i dont think its on par woth f16 viper at all but i got your point. It got designed in the 1970’s and started it introduction in 1982.
we are not talking about the first generation mig-29A/B/S airframes , the mig-29M2 belongs to the second generation and it is a direct variant of the mig-29K/KR , the airframe has been strengthened for it to whistand a payload of 6.5 Tons , RCS reduction measures have been taken , up to date avionics and weapons , net-centric warfare capabilities were added .... we are talking about a whole new aircraft .

even it's aerodynamic sheme was ahead of it's time and matched only by the eurocanards and the Flanker .... a topic comparing the two aircrafts will be interesting and i will be pleased to debate with you on that matter .

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom