TR Altay Main Battle Tank & Related Programs

Kedikesenfare

Reactions
1 797
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
“The tank is as good as its crew for it is. Its crew is the tank’s beating heart,” he said.

“The better the crew functions together as a team, the better the tank itself is when it comes to tactical operations. You can have the world’s most superior tank, but if your crew is insufficiently trained, equipped, and logistically supported, then the ‘superior tank’ is worthless.”

Conversely, he said, “you can have older outdated tanks, but if your crews are top notch, well trained, and logistically supported, then they can wreak just as much havoc.”

Interesting insights from an retired American tanker.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,494
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
“The tank is as good as its crew for it is. Its crew is the tank’s beating heart,” he said.

“The better the crew functions together as a team, the better the tank itself is when it comes to tactical operations. You can have the world’s most superior tank, but if your crew is insufficiently trained, equipped, and logistically supported, then the ‘superior tank’ is worthless.”

Conversely, he said, “you can have older outdated tanks, but if your crews are top notch, well trained, and logistically supported, then they can wreak just as much havoc.”

Interesting insights from an retired American tanker.
So they're gonna send ppl to man those tanks too.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Bridges in general we have. Of course, not the biggest ones. Nobody want to see our tanks fallen into a river, lakes because of weak bridges. Or to heavy tanks. +70t is a heavy number.
In wartime,if they think a bridge cant hold a tank they use the AVLB's of the army.
No need to worry.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,001
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do you really think they didn't think of this ?

Valid question. We dont know if city and road planners in the 70-80s took into account that one day 65 ton tanks could be driving on them 30–40 years later.

But there's a NATO classification just for that, so I assume that we know which bridges and tunnels can be used by what vehicles in times of war.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,594
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
So, I believe we’re on the same page here where this “new“ M60 will/might fill the role of adequately armored mobile and faster firepower vehicle supporting infantry, rather than put out for a showdown against enemy MBTs.

Kind of reminds me interwar British armor doctrine of two types of tanks, cruiser and infantry. But just barely.
Those will have the latest Roketsan armor package, active protection system, and passive protection system so they will be better protected than most of the modern western MBTs.

babayetu

Reactions
2 109
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
M60a3 is m60a3, no matter how much you modernise it is out of date you can not modernise its main fundamental disadvantages vs modern MBTs. Still, there is no need to underestimate this update kit, even though it does not turn m60a3 into a last gen MBT, you don't need last gen MBT in every conflict, in certain conflicts there is almost no down side using m60a3-TIYK instead of an Altay or Leopard2a7. From my perspective, calling some aircraft, warship, or tank old and automaticly thinking it is inferior is an intellectual poverty. Ofc a 50 year platform no matter how modernised is going to have shortcomings. It is important to understand the nuances and conditions in which such old platform could do the same job perfectly and its shortcomings are going to be irrelevant. Remember one of the most militarily advanced country that has no budget problems still uses their Sabras to this day.

I recommend watching this video, as he explains a good amount objectively in 10 minutes, he talks about the positives but also shortcomings.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,678
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Imo, if we are going to keep something in reserve (whether it's a tank or not) instead of scrapping them completely, we are better off upgrading them at least to some degree. Because the war between Russia and Ukraine has proven that even old and imperfect platforms have their uses in a prolonged war.

I would rather pull these upgraded M60s out of reserves some time in the future instead of M60s as they are today.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
DART-SNT Dynamics.jpg

Today, the Electronic Disclosure System Service of the Financial Supervisory Service (DART, Data Analysis, Retrieval and Transfer System), a South Korean government agency, registered a record of a 267 billion won (200 million euro) transmission supply contract for Altay tanks signed by SNT Dynamics and BMC. In the first contract signed by SNT and BMC, EST15K transmissions to be integrated into the Altay of about 90 units will be supplied from South Korea from 30 January 2023 to 31 December 2027.

In addition, there is an additional contract worth 175 billion won (130 million euro) to supply approximately 150 transmissions from 1 January 2028 to 31 December 2030. Under the deal, SNT will supply BMC with transmissions for approximately 240 Altay tanks from January 2023 to December 2030.

I am now sure that the EST15K transmission has passed the Altay durability test. I'll be back if there's any another news. There's really no more Yılan Hikayesi.

Last edited:

Bmx98

Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
View attachment 53244
Today, the Electronic Disclosure System Service of the Financial Supervisory Service (DART, Data Analysis, Retrieval and Transfer System), a South Korean government agency, registered a record of a 267 billion won (200 million euro) transmission supply contract for Altay tanks signed by SNT Dynamics and BMC. In the first contract signed by SNT and BMC, EST15K transmissions to be integrated into the Altay of about 90 units will be supplied from South Korea from 30 January 2023 to 31 December 2027.

In addition, there is an additional contract worth 175 billion won (130 million euro) to supply approximately 150 transmissions from 1 January 2028 to 31 December 2030. Under the deal, SNT will supply BMC with transmissions for approximately 240 Altay tanks from January 2023 to December 2030.

I am now sure that the EST15K transmission has passed the Altay durability test. I'll be back if there's any another news. There's really no more Yılan Hikayesi.
There was word in turkish media about the Korean transmission being modified in Turkiye by Turkish engineers, so that's probably how it passed the durability tests. Also why so many purchased, isnt BMC planning to use their own powerpack after 2025.

Last edited:

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
There are two different tanks in western armed forces:
1. Tanks with rifled guns, whose main purpose is to give support to infantry and to spearhead surgical strikes in to enemy positions with HE and HEP rounds. For these tanks to knock out an enemy tank with a sabot round is secondary; Their Primary goal is to support the infantry.
2. Tanks that are built like castles that can withstand sabot rounds and have smooth bore guns to use sabot rounds. These tanks need Infantry to support them. Their main goal is to knock out another tank.

Rifled guns give more stability and accuracy to the rounds. It also increases the round’s overall range with respect to accurately hitting the target.
Non-Rifled guns , aka smooth bore guns are ideal for sabot rounds as these guns’ barrels don’t have much friction, the rounds are fired with higher muzzle velocities since more explosives can be used to propel the round. But the omission of rotation in the absence of rifling, lowers the overall accurate range and accuracy of the round in general.

How much more a modern time battlefield will yet see tank to tank battles, is a question that needs to be asked.
In view of that; lighter, faster and more agile, also more accurate tanks that support infantry and light armoured columns, will probably be needed more in the days and years to come than today’s heavy tanks.
wouldn't Kaplan fit that role?

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
There was word in turkish media about the Korean transmission being modified in Turkiye by Turkish engineers, so that's probably how it passed the durability tests. Also why so may purchased, isnt BMC planning to use their own powerpack after 2025.
The transmission will not be produced in Turkiye, but will be assembled and produced in Korea and sent to Turkiye. The new korean transmission to be supplied to the BMC has been previously improved by SNT. As I said before, I understand that engineers from Hyundai Rotem and SNT joined BMC and participated in Altay's transmission test.

In six durability tests conducted between January 2016 and February 2017, German parts, which account for 30 percent of the transmission, were replaced with Korean parts after the Korean transmission failed to pass due to defects.

Bmx98

Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
The transmission will not be produced in Turkiye, but will be assembled and produced in Korea and sent to Turkiye. The new korean transmission to be supplied to the BMC has been previously improved by SNT. As I said before, I understand that engineers from Hyundai Rotem and SNT joined BMC and participated in Altay's transmission test.

In six durability tests conducted between January 2016 and February 2017, German parts, which account for 30 percent of the transmission, were replaced with Korean parts after the Korean transmission failed to pass due to defects.
I didn't say it would be produced or assembled in Turkiye, I said that according to statements by SSB officials in the media the Korean powerpack was going to be modified by Turkish engineers to reach a more desirable performance.

Baljak

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
8 856
Nation of residence
South Korea
Nation of origin
South Korea
I didn't say it would be produced or assembled in Turkiye, I said that according to statements by SSB officials in the media the Korean powerpack was going to be modified by Turkish engineers to reach a more desirable performance.
I've never seen such a source in my information. Korean transmission already mentioned that SNT official fixed the defect in December 2021. Modifying the design of an engine or transmission typically requires the designer's permission. Engine and transmission design drawings are required for BMC engineers to technically access Korean-made engines and transmissions, which are highly unlikely to have been approved by Korea.

Era_shield

Contributor
Reactions
6 2,953
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
If such an enhancement were to be done it would just be done by South Korea as part of the contract when they make the transmissions.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom