Boris vows to make Britain ‘naval superpower of Europe’ once again

A

adenl

So 13 new frigates to replace 13 old ones will 'spur a renaissance' in shipbuilding?

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,327
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Good old imperialism is back, Europe is going on rampage :LOL: . Even the little Netherlands is trying to go back to ther old heritage VOC. Should ad France to, others I don't now but England is serious thinking pump money.

We need to double our ships to, every EU country is going to invest in ther vessels. Even Netherlands is going to invest in latest Subs. I am reading a book about Dutch subs history based on official army reports about ther operations in cold war. Respect what they have achieved!

Last edited:

Vergennes

Experienced member
Professional
France Moderator
Reactions
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
So 13 new frigates to replace 13 old ones will 'spur a renaissance' in shipbuilding?

To me this just looks like a communication stunt ;

8x Type 26 and 5x Type 31 frigates to replace the 13x Type 23 frigates in service was planned since few years ago already.

It was planned to replace the 13x Type 23 frigates by 13x Type 26 frigates but the program was finally cut into two classes. (For budgetary reasons)

The acquisition of Type 32 frigates just turns out to be the Royal Navy's wishes to get a second batch of 5x Type 31 frigates. The RN's wish is to get a fleet of 24 frigates and destroyers instead of the 19 actually. (13x Type 23 & 6x Type 45)

A

adenl

So in the end the RN is having 18 type 26/31/32 and 6 type 45 for a total of 24 FFG/DDG. That is not a renaissance, but perhaps I'm too spoiled by the rate of growth of the PLAN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I'm being to spoiled by the rate of growth of the PLAN.
Yes, you are. I think the big ticket items [the carriers] will make nucleus of a potent force. I don't expect any real wars fought but these things are mostly about flying the flag and keeping the image of UK as a global leader intact. This of course feeds into economic benefits accrued through prestige.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom