Closed Maraş reopens after 46 years!

D

dBSPL

kapak_171417.jpg

TRNC Prime Minister Ersin Tatar announced that Maraş -which has been closed for 46 years- will open on Thursday.

After the problems in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Water and Energy Supply Project was resolved, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and TRNC Prime Minister Ersin Tatar spoke at the ceremony where Anatolian water met again with the TRNC.

In his speech at the ceremony, TRNC Prime Minister Ersin Tatar declared that Maraş, which has been closed for 46 years, will open on Thursday and said, “Maraş is indisputably within the borders of the TRNC. The Greek side never wanted peace and prosperity, and one of the promises we made to our people when we came to the government in 2019 was the reopening of Maraş. And we are taking the first concrete step, we are starting our work to offer the coastal zone to the benefit of our people. As of Thursday, Maraş will be available to our people. I wish that this irreversible step we took in Marash will be beneficial to the TRNC and all our fellow citizens. Our people will be able to go to the beaches from Thursday morning. We see the Marash issue as a national cause. I invite everyone to stand up for this national cause. "

President Erdogan, on the other hand, spoke as follows: " I would like to share a new development regarding the reopening of Closed Maraş. After the Peace Operation, Maraş was also abandoned to its fate. Despite being brought to the table many times in the 90's, it could not be concluded due to the Greek Cypriot side. One of the promises we made to our people in 2019 was the opening of Closed Maraş. We have brought our work to a stage and are taking the first concrete step. We are initiating our efforts to present the coastal and Democracy Avenue and coastal area, which belong to the public from our own land, to the use of our people. I congratulate Mr. Tatar and all the people of Cyprus for this good development. It is also meaningful to experience this development at a time when the attacks aimed at destroying the five centuries-old presence of the Turkish Cypriots on the island are increasing. We know, it will disturb many places, the Turks in Cyprus have always been patient until today. We were patient and unfortunately could not get the reward of this patience. "

In 2019, in line with the joint statements made by Northern Cyprus Prime Minister Ersin Tatar and Foreign Minister Kudret Özersay, it was reported that an inventory study will be carried out first in Maraş and then the city will be opened to tourism again. To the help of experts from Turkey to Cypriot team moved in inventory and work in Maraş as a result of a study will be conducted jointly and agreed to be taken under the registration of immovable property records. The cost of renewing the infrastructure of Maraş, rebuilding it by landscaping and opening it to tourism is estimated to be 10,000,000,000 dollars.

After all of these works, Maraş, which has been closed for 46 years, reopens on Thursday.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom