Gobbling China’s exports, US sinks into dependency

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
LOL. China also has the most mouths to feed, and not enough land to grow food for said mouths. :D
China's food self-sufficiency is around 94.5 percent, the reason that China still buys food is just because it's so cheap to do so in the world market, otherwise China can easily fill this tiny gap.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Actually China got flooded every year, Tibet is the water top of Asia, China only needs to manage Tibet water properly to have more than enough water.
Even deserts get flooded regularly but that doesnt mean a desert has enough water.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
China has a water shortage thats only gonna get worse with climate change and urbanization, agriculture is the biggest water consumer, thats is a big problem for China actually, thats the reason why China is leasing land in Africa because its own ressources simply cant feed the huge population.

Here is an indepth analysis in case you are interested in something beyond the official news.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
No food for almost 100 million people?!
Just because food is so cheap in the global market, if not so, China can easily fill the gap. People tend to work on things that make more money.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Nope. Tens of millions of Chinese would starve to death is USA does not provide them with food.
LOl, are you kidding me, it's US begging China to buy their food, not the other way around, and US is not the only country that produces food, China is still the world biggest food producer by a big margin. You have a trade war with China, so just stop exporting food and see what will happen, try it.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
微信图片_20211019005730.png

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
"We can produce enough food for ourselves, but it does not mean we don't need international market," Tang said, noting that grain imports are important for balancing the agriculture structure and reducing trade deficit."

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Nope. Tens of millions of Chinese would starve to death is USA does not provide them with food.
US has this magic card, should ban food export to China so tens of millions of Chinese will starve to death, then US win this trade war hands down. LOl, why not just do it?

VCheng

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Pakistan
"We can produce enough food for ourselves, but it does not mean we don't need international market," Tang said, noting that grain imports are important for balancing the agriculture structure and reducing trade deficit."

But why forget this part?

The primary challenge is resource scarcity as 22 percent of the world's population shares seven percent of the world's arable land and six percent of its freshwater.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
But why forget this part?

The primary challenge is resource scarcity as 22 percent of the world's population shares seven percent of the world's arable land and six percent of its freshwater.
China's population has peaked and we can still feed our population easily, with modern farming and hybrid crops, it will only become easier in the future. We waste and give away more food than we imported, last year Xi appeal to the people not to waste too much food and western media started to report that China was experiencing a severe food shortage, your media seems to really hurt your people's brain a lot.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
Riiiiiiight. I wonder what led him to make that appeal? :D
Because wasting food is bad, no? but people still waste food anyway, I admit Americans are better in this regard, they pack up everything and take them home, Chinese just throw them away. This is something we should learn from Americans.

VCheng

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Because wasting food is bad, no? but people still waste food anyway, I admit Americans are better in this regard, they pack up everything and take them home, Chinese just throw them away. This is something we should learn from Americans.

You mean this is what China needs to learn from USA?! :D

"Each year, 108 billion pounds of food is wasted in the United States. That equates to more than $161 billion worth of food thrown away each year. Shockingly, nearly 40% of all food in America is wasted."

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
You mean this is what China needs to learn from USA?! :D

"Each year, 108 billion pounds of food is wasted in the United States. That equates to more than $161 billion worth of food thrown away each year. Shockingly, nearly 40% of all food in America is wasted."
When I was in US I found people in restaurants paked up the leftovers and took them back home, In China most people just leave them there. So I think Americans have a better habit in this regard.

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
I guess one reason is eating out in US is rather expensive and in China it's dirt cheap, everyone can easily afford eating out 3 meals a day every day, so people don't think its worth it to take the leftovers home.

VCheng

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I guess one reason is eating out in US is rather expensive and in China it's dirt cheap, everyone can easily afford eating out 3 meals a day every day, so people don't think its worth it to take the leftovers home.

LOL. Did it occur to you that is so because the average US serving size is perhaps more than three times the size of a typical serving elsewhere? :D

xizhimen

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
China
LOL. Did it occur to you that is so because the average US serving size is perhaps more than three times the size of a typical serving elsewhere? :D
No, actually Americans are very frugal when it comes to ordering dishes, while Chinese tend to order much more than what they can possibly eat, it's a cultural thing.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom