Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
20190604ran8108462_003.jpg

The Royal Australian Navy frigate HMAS Arunta has returned to her homeport of Fleet Base West in Rockingham, Western Australia, following a successful five-month regional deployment, most recently supporting Operation ARGOS. During her 164 days at sea, Arunta concluded three-months on a regional presence deployment as part of a five-ship Task Group in October, taking part in a series of Southeast Asia and Pacific engagements, which included several successful multilateral training exercises. Arunta briefly returned to Darwin for a logistics visit before embarking on a further seven-week East Asia deployment.

Minister for Defence Linda Reynolds commended the crew for their professionalism during the deployment. “The crew of Arunta made an important contribution to upholding the rules based international order, by enforcing United Nations Security Council sanctions against North Korea as part of Operation ARGOS,” Reynolds said. “Arunta conducted a number of ‘rights of passage’ transits which highlight Australia’s commitment to a peaceful, inclusive, sovereign and resilient Indo-Pacific region. I commend the ship’s crew who have worked tirelessly and professionally throughout the deployment. I also thank their families, because without their support, the deployment of our ADF personnel would not be possible.”

Senator for Western Australia Matt O’Sullivan welcomed the ship’s crew home to Fleet Base West. “I’m pleased to have had the opportunity to thank our men and women who have done outstanding work during their deployment,” O’Sullivan said. “Given the entire deployment was conducted during a global pandemic with only essential, COVID-19-mitigated logistical port visits, the crew has performed extremely well in challenging circumstances.”

Commander Troy Duggan, commanding officer of HMAS Arunta. said he was proud of his crew’s dedication. “The crew has remained focussed and professional during this deployment. Importantly, they have built confidence and knowledge among the various partner nations we were operating with,” Duggan said.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom