Indonesia Indonesian Air Force, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU)

Qimpetmleteque

Reactions
1 42
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
In terms of percentage of GDP, our defense budget during Suharto era was actually higher. It's generally > 1% and reached >2% in the 1980's and even >3% in the 1970's.

After Suharto era we still tried to fix our economy after 1998 monetary crisis. So it's fully understandable. Also we reached $1 trillion economy only since 2017.

🙏👍 After Eyang Harto era, the commitment of all presidents in defense sector was no better. Every presidental era had own crises and challenges. SBY's had 2008 financial crisis, Jokowi had pandemic and global turmoil.

As I said before, this time is Jokowi opportunity to forge his legacy in defense sector by doubled his political will than his predecessors. Next year is his last chance. Although if we look at his track record, it's understandable if many have doubts.

I hate to say it, but it's more about China in general has been having worse economic performance in this early 2023 than period before, than us performing well.

Also you have to wait until a full year to make conclusion in terms of the trade balance. If you only look at monthly balance, after Covid we actually hit at least seven times/months (2020-2022) surplus trade balance with China. Unfortunately, in the end we always recorded trade deficit with China in those years.

Kak Parry can dig deeper into the Kemendag dasboard, then see the trend of Indonesia's exports to China over the last 5 years. Indonesia's export value has more than doubled.

If we see Indonesia export composition to China in last 6 years, 2 commodity sectors rose significantly:

1. Coal. Thanks to China-Australia trade war.
2. Metal industry, not machinery and electronics industry. Tiongkok investment in this sector has increased sharply in the last 8 years, more than US$ 2 B and this is most prominent sector. China is relocating its metal processing industry to Indonesia.

Sorry, I cant attach images and figure here. I wish I can show the data here better.

You brag about China weaponry after giving us measly $1.056 bil trade surplus in Jan-Feb 2023? Are you not aware that we've been giving them $130.7 BILLIONS in trade deficit since 2008?

They are the one who should spend more on Pindad, PT DI, PT PAL, etc products to counter their huge surplus instead of us buying from them.

I'm just underlining 'China loving president', or china puppet president. While economic performance shows the opposite, the trend is increasingly favorable for Indonesia.

Tabik, Kak Parry.

Parry Brima

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,057
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
🙏👍 After Eyang Harto era, the commitment of all presidents in defense sector was no better. Every presidental era had own crises and challenges. SBY's had 2008 financial crisis, Jokowi had pandemic and global turmoil.

As I said before, this time is Jokowi opportunity to forge his legacy in defense sector by doubled his political will than his predecessors. Next year is his last chance. Although if we look at his track record, it's understandable if many have doubts.

After we hit $1 trillion economy in 2017, he had three years to increase the defense budget before Covid but nothing happened.

Like I said before (and I think we kinda agree on this), he really lacks commitment and basic knowledge in defense matter.

I'm just underlining 'China loving president', or china puppet president. While economic performance shows the opposite, the trend is increasingly favorable for Indonesia.

Tabik, Kak Parry.

We hit all time low in terms of deficit with China under his watch. Not to mention that out of the total $130.7 billions trade deficit with China, a whopping $101.7 billions (78%) happening in his terms.

In hindsight, the sign was probably there when in 2014 our deficit with China skyrocketed to $13 billion, 80% jump from $7.2 billion only a year before.

Qimpetmleteque

Reactions
1 42
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
We hit all time low in terms of deficit with China under his watch. Not to mention that out of the total $130.7 billions trade deficit with China, a whopping $101.7 billions (78%) happening in his terms.

In hindsight, the sign was probably there when in 2014 our deficit with China skyrocketed to $13 billion, 80% jump from $7.2 billion only a year before.

I dont mean to defend Jokowi and be a bigot. Jokowi was sworn in as president since 20 October 2014. So, most of the trade flows in 2014 were controlled by SBY administration.

But I agree, Jokowi should reverse the trade flow and balance with China in a matter of hours or days. Like when we play Unknown Horizons, or like we can instantly choose goods at Indomaret or Alfamart. We shouldn't have to wait until towards the end of Jokowi's second and last term to turn the trade balance into a surplus for Indonesia.

😉👍💪

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,889
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Just a billion for F16?

That won't be enough for Sam Ojisan 🤪

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,028
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Since the Rafale has already been ordered would it make sense to not order the F-15 and wait for the KF-21.

The KF-21 should be better than both the F-15 and the Rafale.

We bought fighter not only for technical SPECS but also for the political support and recognition in a thing or two from the original country of manufacturer. France for their voice in European Union community and their own weight as big five, and US of A for their weight as hyperpower.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,889
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
The KF-21 should be better than both the F-15 and the Rafale.
Eagle 2 is better in almost all aspects than Boramae.
In term of payload and range, Rafale is better than Boramae.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,684
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Eagle 2 is better in almost all aspects than Boramae.
In term of payload and range, Rafale is better than Boramae.
Yes, but we only have to pay $1.2B for production assembly right of 48 KF-21. For Eagle II we're going $13B for a mere 36. The Eagle is just too expensive and it didn't bring much to the field since its not even VLO aircraft. Yes it has bigger radar, larger engine and larger payload, but be realistic, most of its payload capacity will rarely if ever be exploited since Indonesia didn't seems to give much care into filling its missile and bomb arsenal.

The realistic way forward is for Rafale, F-16 and KF-21.

Last edited:

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,889
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Yes, but we only have to pay $1.2B for production assembly right of 48 KF-21. For Eagle II we're going $13B for a mere 36. The Eagle is just too expensive and it didn't bring much to the field since its not even VLO aircraft. Yes it has bigger radar, larger engine and larger payload, but be realistic, most of its payload capacity will rarely if ever be exploited since Indonesia didn't seems to give much care into filling its missile and bomb arsenal.

The realistic way forward is for Rafale, F-16 and KF-21.
They tend to fully load their current heavy fighter

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,889
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Though, I have no problems we are purchasing a lot of vipers as long as LM lobbyists can make sure US govt green light us to get F35.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,684
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
If only we can deploy something like this to the east.
There's a better plane for the job. And yet we have seen it used in full force.

super-tucano-with-flir.jpg

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,889
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
There's a better plane for the job. And yet we have seen it used in full force.

super-tucano-with-flir.jpg
So why no technology until now?
Are they too scared about ham issue?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom