Indonesia Indonesian Navy, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Laut (TNI-AL)

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
How about taking time and do sailing

antarafoto-kri-bima-suci-tiba-di-labuan-bajo-280721-adm-4.jpg
antarafoto-kri-bima-suci-tiba-di-labuan-bajo-280721-adm-5.jpg
antarafoto-kri-bima-suci-tiba-di-labuan-bajo-280721-adm-2.jpg

RajaSultanKing

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
After recently losing a submarine, Indonesia's navy is hoping to increase its submarine fleet from 12 to as many as 36 boats. Companies from South Korea, France, Russia, and Turkey have all offered designs, and Japanese firms may as well.

Typo?

that's just too much, even Japan that have technological expertise to build one each year only employ 22 and some of them are being phased out to training duties

18 maybe okay (6 for each Koarmada) but 36 is just like stocking for spare part cannibalization

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,611
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
After recently losing a submarine, Indonesia's navy is hoping to increase its submarine fleet from 12 to as many as 36 boats. Companies from South Korea, France, Russia, and Turkey have all offered designs, and Japanese firms may as well.

Typo?
Numbers, numbers and numbers. I don't know if it's a typo, but 36 sounds too good to be true. I'll be a happy bunny if we can reach the target of 12 subs. Twice than that, I'll be like a happy bunny in deep slumber with ecstatic dreams.

But 36?

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,461
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
that's just too much, even Japan that have technological expertise to build one each year only employ 22 and some of them are being phased out to training duties

18 maybe okay (6 for each Koarmada) but 36 is just like stocking for spare part cannibalization
Numbers, numbers and numbers. I don't know if it's a typo, but 36 sounds too good to be true. I'll be a happy bunny if we can reach the target of 12 subs. Twice than that, I'll be like a happy bunny in deep slumber with ecstatic dreams.

But 36?
Because there is no further explanation in the article, the 36 number is really baffling. If its is not a typo or misunderstanding of the writer, then 36 is for OEF (Optimum Essential Force)? Where did the writer even get the info? There is no such news or info before.
I personally think that we won't only stop at 12 submarine.

Also somehow Germany is not mentioned in the article, and did SAAB try to offer their sub?

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
36 is too far off, only tier one countries can afford to operated and maintain such number for peace time ops tempo, not even India and Japan can do.

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,461
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
36 is too far off, only tier one countries can afford to operated and maintain such number for peace time ops tempo, not even India and Japan can do.
The target of having 12 submarine is the minimum number (MEF) or the total in all?
*excluding midget submarine.

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,517
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Ocean going a26 looks cool tho with and equipped with vls. Its not operated yet, swedish navy wants to buy 2 units.

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Ocean going a26 looks cool tho with and equipped with vls. Its not operated yet, swedish navy wants to buy 2 units.

The risk is more greater compared to acquire U214 or Scorpene, maturity, learning phase (from where our sailor would get trained ?) and foolproof design

RajaSultanKing

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
The risk is more greater compared to acquire U214 or Scorpene, maturity, learning phase (from where our sailor would get trained ?) and foolproof design

Considering the Japanese interest on promoting their defense industry outside of Japan, Soryu can be an option aside from the European-made subs

Last edited:

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,830
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Lordimperator

Experienced member