Хижак
Reactions
3 3,795
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
iq1-Iraqi-Mirage-F1.jpg

iraqi air force was the biggest user of the mirage f1 jet so it's logical they choose rafale

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

Ghost soldier

Хижак
Reactions
3 3,795
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
I don’t understand.
in arabic the iraqi minister of defence said that they're close to sign the contact for the sale of the rafale fighter jet and they are in the stage whether the sale should be through a loan or in exchange for oil
We should support Iraq to buy US Falcons .
during iran iraq war turkey allowed transit of military arms and equipement in its territory to iraq

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,411
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Hard to believe this will ever happen with Iran ''ruling'' Iraq.
But,you never know.
@Vergennes ?
Doesn't matter anyway, if they decide to use it against NATO interest, France could pull the plug by refusing sales of spare parts and ammo. Making the entire procurement a fiasco, same is happening with the IQAF F-16 fleet.

Ghost soldier

Хижак
Reactions
3 3,795
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
Doesn't matter anyway, if they decide to use it against NATO interest, France could pull the plug by refusing sales of spare parts and ammo. Making the entire procurement a fiasco, same is happening with the IQAF F-16 fleet.
Actually iraq was able to maintain it's fleet of mirage f1 in the gulf war despite embargo and for the f16 fiasco rumour should be taken with a pinch of salt

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,781
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am not sure it’s in Iraq’s interest to buy those expensive planes. I don’s see Iraq going to war against anyone.

I think Iraq should consider Eurofighter as it’ll be fine against regional problems.

Ghost soldier

Хижак
Reactions
3 3,795
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
I am not sure it’s in Iraq’s interest to buy those expensive planes. I don’s see Iraq going to war against anyone.

I think Iraq should consider Eurofighter as it’ll be fine against regional problems.
Either iraq lost it's trust in russian weps or want to rebuild the old iraqi air force
20210113_135717.jpg

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,411
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Actually iraq was able to maintain it's fleet of mirage f1 in the gulf war despite embargo and for the f16 fiasco rumour should be taken with a pinch of salt
Rafale and Mirage F-1 are an entirely different kind of jets, none of the Mirage F1 believe are in active service during the 2003 Invasion,

April 2. 2003
at an air command center in Saudi Arabia, American and British commanders watch their radar screens for signs of enemy aircraft.

As recently as two weeks ago, Iraqi jets showed up as high-speed blips, making runs into the "no-fly" zone, then returning to their bases.

Now? Nothing.

cmiiw, but fly passes are an entirely different things than an actual combat mission, Iraq is still in political turmoil, and for many who have forgotten isis is not yet defeated and remain as active as ever in the country

Officials confirmed to the Iraq Oil Report last December that only seven jets from the F-16 fleet were able to fly “without serious risk of crashing,” while the operational jets were being kept airworthy using spare parts cannibalized from the other aircraft. This is clearly a short-term solution that will eventually lead to all aircraft becoming non-airworthy in the long-term.

not all the maintainers I believe are Iraqi, instead they are American contractors which could be pulled out of the country if need be, the same for the French.
here's a quote
The problems faced by the Iraqis in keeping the F-16 fleet combat-ready are manyfold. Above all, logistical issues have affected aircraft availability, a knock-on effect of budget shortages due to the falling price of oil, together with the ongoing security situation in the country, which has led to a reduction in the Lockheed Martin-provided contractor support needed to properly maintain the jets.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,781
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Rafale and Mirage F-1 are an entirely different kind of jets, none of the Mirage F1 believe are in active service during the 2003 Invasion,

cmiiw, but fly passes are an entirely different things than an actual combat mission, Iraq is still in political turmoil, and for many who have forgotten isis is not yet defeated and remain as active as ever in the country

not all the maintainers I believe are Iraqi, instead they are American contractors which could be pulled out of the country if need be, the same for the French.
here's a quote
Turkey and Israel could do the maintenance. But if we’re talking about what Iraq needs and the support connected to it. I’d say Eurofighter, but money seems to be an issue, so perhaps they could opt for something cheaper.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,411
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Turkey and Israel could do the maintenance. But if we’re talking about what Iraq needs and the support connected to it. I’d say Eurofighter, but money seems to be an issue, so perhaps they could opt for something cheaper.
Do you really think that Israel would maintain fleets belonging to a country that has an active Iran interference in the government?

Ghost soldier

Хижак
Reactions
3 3,795
Nation of residence
Morocco
Nation of origin
Moroco
Do you really think that Israel would maintain fleets belonging to a country that has an active Iran interference in the government?
Actually Iraq is ruled (indirectly) by pro Iran militias but it's govt and army are neutral so I expect they might form an anti Iran faction like with South Lebanon army against hezbollah

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,781
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I’m foreseeing closer cooperation with Turkey, but it very much depends on how much Iraq can back such cooperation.

Vergennes

Experienced member
Professional
France Moderator
Reactions
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
Hard to believe this will ever happen with Iran ''ruling'' Iraq.
But,you never know.
@Vergennes ?

This is good there are more and more countries taking interests in the Rafale.

During Saddam's era France was a major supplier of the Iraqi forces. Its air force operated quite a large fleet of Mirage F1s. But Iraq's situation is different today,I personally wouldn't sell Rafales to Iraq given how reliable it is today (an Iranian vassal state) with the risks of those sophisticated planes ending in Iranian hands,or even worse in Russian or Chinese hands.

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom