Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi said Tuesday that during his visit to Washington last month, U.S. President Donald Trump pledged to withdraw all U.S. troops from Iraq.

"During my visit to Washington and during the strategic dialogue, the U.S. president clearly announced the pullout of the U.S. troops from Iraq," al-Kadhimi said during the cabinet meeting.

"The strategic dialogue statement was clear and included the withdrawal (of U.S. troops) from all the military bases in Iraq and then to deploy outside Iraq," al-Kadhimi said in a video posted on the official Facebook page of his media office.

On Aug. 18, al-Kadhimi led a delegation to Washington on an official visit, during which he held a series of meetings with U.S. officials and attended the second session of Iraq-U.S. strategic dialogue.

Earlier in September, General Kenneth McKenzie, head of the U.S. military's Central Command, said that the Pentagon will draw down the level of U.S. troops in Iraq from 5,200 to 3,000 in September.

The Iraq-U.S. relationship has been strained since Jan. 3 when a U.S. drone struck a convoy at the Baghdad airport, killing Qassem Soleimani, then commander of the Quds Force of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, deputy chief of Iraq's paramilitary Hashd Shaabi forces.

This led to the first round of Iraq-U.S. strategic dialogue held on June 12, during which the U.S. confirmed that it does not seek permanent military presence in the country, would reduce forces in Iraq, and discuss with the Iraqi government the status of the remaining forces.

Over 5,000 U.S. troops have been deployed in Iraq to support Iraqi forces in the battle against the Islamic State (IS), mainly for training and advisory purposes.

The troops are part of the U.S.-led international coalition that has been conducting air raids against IS targets in both Iraq and Syria.

dani92

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Iraq
Since the begging of this year the Americans can’t go outside their bases and militia attacks happen daily

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
If Iraq has a big enough military and law enforcement then I’m all for the US to bugger off. I just suspect that they will be going to Syria instead. Which isn’t good.

dani92

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Iraq

dani92

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Iraq
Two days ago attack on the American forces in Erbil it’s gives the message that Americans can be targeted even in barazani zoon aka KRG

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Two days ago attack on the American forces in Erbil it’s gives the message that Americans can be targeted even in barazani zoon aka KRG

That’s very important. Threatening to move the embassy from Capital to Erbil is blatant recognition of sovereign kurdish state.

dani92

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Iraq
That’s very important. Threatening to move the embassy from Capital to Erbil is blatant recognition of sovereign kurdish state.
There are some voices in Washington calling to recognize a Kurdish stare but I think this isn’t new thing they have been using the Kurdish issue to blackmail the Iraqi government. I think they are trying to say if Iraqi government take Iran’s side we will support the Kurds instead of the central Iraqi government

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
There are some voices in Washington calling to recognize a Kurdish stare but I think this isn’t new thing they have been using the Kurdish issue to blackmail the Iraqi government. I think they are trying to say if Iraqi government take Iran’s side we will support the Kurds instead of the central Iraqi government

But the danger is real. I think it is imperative that Turkey and Iraq keep good relations with IKRG and at the same time rebuild Mosul to be The City in that area. Because it has been obliterated it has lost significant influence. Time to bring it back.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom