Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,789
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
The same logic must be applied to the Russian strategic technology.

We shot their fighter jet in 2015 (in the same period their officers were hunted like flies in the Turkmen Mountain by our assets), in 2016 a Russian supplied MANPADS to PKK shot down a Turkish AH-1W Cobra helicopter in Turkiye, in 2017 during the Operation Euphrates Shield a Russian TU-22 "mistakenly" bombed a building in which Turkish Special Forces were stationed resulting in 3 martyrs and 11 wounded, in 2020 a Russian SU-34s bombed a Turkish convoy in Balyun, Syria resulting in the martyrdom of more than 30 Turkish soldiers and tens of wounded.

What is happening today? Terrorists under Russian protection are targeting our assets and soldiers in Syria daily and resulted in tens of martyrs both from our soldiers, but also from our law enforcement personnel. One of the main reasons for them not to take Kiev are Turkish supplied drones, we effectively pushed them out of Karabakh and their peace keepers died in result of the steel punch of our Azerbaijani brothers. And this is only a part of the whole situation.

Just yesterday a Russian supplied FPV drone, launched from Russian protected area hit the dirt obstacles in the vicinity of our base in Kastun, Syria.

On who we can rely for strategic support?

EDIT: A Russian supplied FPV drone was directly used against the TSK base in Kansafra today...

ruzzia is not you Ally, by any offical document! I do not understand what you compare ruzzian with usa?
Turkiye does not have any obligation or expectations from ruzzia. It is Pure temporary agreements dependent from situtation.

usa on other hand is ally
usa have obligations to Turkiye and vas versa
usa have bases and troops on Turkiye territory
etc.............................

So my logic is on Facts and Current reality -> It mean that you can be naive and please usa. Or you can use all of the facts which happend when you seat on table with usa.

No more pleasing. Just behave as you behave with ruzzia. Short agreements you do that I do that for all (even for small details).
As for long agreement DO NOT expect to be happening from usa. They prove that they do not fulfil there part.
That is why long therm agreement with usa on strategic assets is NOT Feasible.
It is time Turkiye to align with current usa policy. It mean that usa are hostile stand against Turkiye, if there are diplomacy requests Turkiye should ask usa to fullfil FIRST thier side of agreement then Turkiye.

The only think which we see here is that what ever is the event/case usa keep demanding from Turkiye!
usa hostility actions and they demanding!? usa lost hard build up relationship on mutual trust. In persent days there is nothing!
NATO offical contract is there, YES. But usa is siding with ruzzia aginst Turkiye. usa is siding with PKK against Turkiye. As I said above, the list is long...........
Do not make this list bigger by you own choice relying on usa! With current usa policy you asking to be F...d

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,486
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
ruzzia is not you Ally, by any offical document! I do not understand what you compare ruzzian with usa?
Turkiye does not have any obligation or expectations from ruzzia. It is Pure temporary agreements dependent from situtation.

So my logic is on Facts and Current reality -> It mean that you can be naive and please usa. Or you can use all of the facts which happend when you seat on table with usa.

No more pleasing. Just behave as you behave with ruzzia. Short agreements you do that I do that for all (even for small details).
As for long agreement DO NOT expect to be happening from usa. They prove that they do not fulfil there part.
It is time Turkiye to align with current usa policy. It mean that usa are hostile stand against Turkiye, if there are diplomacy requests Turkiye should ask usa to fullfil FIRST thier side of agreement then Turkiye.

The only think which we see here is that what ever is the event/case usa keep demanding from Turkiye!
usa hostility actions and they demanding!? usa lost hard build up relationship on mutual trust. In persent days there is nothing!
NATO offical contract is there, YES. But usa is siding with ruzzia aginst Turkiye. usa is siding with PKK against Turkiye. As I said above, the list is long...........
Do not make this list bigger by you own choice relying on usa! With current usa policy you asking to be F...d
Let's not get into delusions. No Russia or the US is a real ally and papers are just papers. Obligations are for us and not for them.

I am comparing Russia and the US regarding this topic because we already have a Russian! nuclear powerplant on our territory and we are negotiating for a second one and I see nobody protesting.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

IMHO, for its own geopolitical and socio-historical reasons, Turkiye cannot develop an alliance based on complete and total sincerity with either the US or Russia. In order for Turkiye to develop an alliance with these countries, it can only proceed by accepting their dominant positions from the outset and not asserting the same prioritization of its national interests, which is obviously a precondition for Turkiye to accept being trapped within certain borders.

In terms of its ability to intervene in Turkiye, the US capacity is incomparably higher than that of Russia. The 70 years in the Atlanticist alliance have played a major role in this. A deep network from politics to business, bureaucracy to NGOs. The main factor that drove us to the United States 70 years ago was that the imminent threat was Soviet Russia even it was a toxic relationship from the beginning. So today, whether the imminent threat today is postmodern Russia or the increasingly aggressive US Establisment is a moot point.

We have no choice but to build our own power center. This is not wishful thinking, but a necessity for century goals and beyond.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,789
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
IMHO, for its own geopolitical and socio-historical reasons, Turkiye cannot develop an alliance based on complete and total sincerity with either the US or Russia. In order for Turkiye to develop an alliance with these countries, it can only proceed by accepting their dominant positions from the outset and not asserting the same prioritization of its national interests, which is obviously a precondition for Turkiye to accept being trapped within certain borders.

In terms of its ability to intervene in Turkiye, the US capacity is incomparably higher than that of Russia. The 70 years in the Atlanticist alliance have played a major role in this. A deep network from politics to business, bureaucracy to NGOs. The main factor that drove us to the United States 70 years ago was that the imminent threat was Soviet Russia even it was a toxic relationship from the beginning. So today, whether the imminent threat today is postmodern Russia or the increasingly aggressive US Establisment is a moot point.

We have no choice but to build our own power center. This is not wishful thinking, but a necessity for century goals and beyond.
"We have no choice but to build our own power center" <- This is what I am trying to say from the begining.

I try to list a Facts showing that usa is not ally anymore. They showed thier hostile intention openly.
Ruzzia is hostile. I do not undertstand why ruzzia is added to topic as some kind of ally at all? :rolleyes:

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
Why was the Japanese program cancelled?
Fukushima, Fukushima related new safety improvements making prices higher, not being able to come to a financing agreement G2G, Turkish economy. Per reports, project cost of 15+ billion had grown to 45+ billion in few years. Atmea was also a joint French Japanese program, don't know if there was French backtracking involved.

Japanese were interested in teaming up with the French and offering their reactors all over the world and Sinop would be the first example. But after Fukushima, partnership ended and I don't think they offered to build anyone any other reactors.
Add to that, there was the weak Turkish Lira which compounded the difficulties in cost negotiations as well. The negotiations with the Turkish government, and subsequently the Atmea joint venture broke down in 2018, quite a long while after Fukushima disaster. Though it is also correct that tighter safety requirements demand that came into place after Fukushima is one of the other major reason for the deal to have been never reached.

Just wanted to clarify since "after Fukushima" sounds a bit like Areva/EDF and MHI abbandoned Atmea right after Fukushima happened. In reality, both had a will to continue the program, at least on surface, until Itchou finally pulled the plug.

Last edited:

Windchime

Professional
South Korea Moderator
Reactions
22 1,276
Nation of residence
Poland
Nation of origin
South Korea
Negotiations are being held with Russia and South Korea for the nuclear power plant in Sinop

Bayraktar stated that efforts are continuing to commission the first reactor of the Akkuyu Nuclear Power Plant (NGP) this year and that all reactors will be commissioned in 2028.

Explaining that there is a need for a nuclear power plant with four reactors in Sinop and Thrace, Bayraktar stated that negotiations were held with Russia and South Korea for the power plant planned to be established in Sinop.

Bayraktar stated that they talked mainly with China about Thrace and that they have reached a serious point and said, "Hopefully, we need to name it within this year. We are working on it." said.

So it's probably a 3-way competition between Korea, China and Russia.

I'd still expect Russia to be most ahead. Despite the war, due to Rosatom's position in worldwide nuclear industry, they were left intact, a complete opposite of their MIC.

China was putting in a lot of effort in UK projects but the UK government formally banned any Chinese involvement in their nuclear industry. Now, they have even more incentives to win the Turkish competition, so I'd also expect some aggressive deals from the Chinese side.

As for the Korean offer, it's the most western option, without you typical western problems when it comes to nuclear power projects by the likes of WH and EDF.

Shtr

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is there any detail regarding transfer of tech? I personally trust Koreans much more than any other country. I expect such a transfer may happen too.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,686
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

I'd still expect Russia to be most ahead. Despite the war, due to Rosatom's position in worldwide nuclear industry, they were left intact, a complete opposite of their MIC.

China was putting in a lot of effort in UK projects but the UK government formally banned any Chinese involvement in their nuclear industry. Now, they have even more incentives to win the Turkish competition, so I'd also expect some aggressive deals from the Chinese side.

As for the Korean offer, it's the most western option, without you typical western problems when it comes to nuclear power projects by the likes of WH and EDF.
Nope, Korea is reluctant because of the US pressure. You guys are afraid of the US but if TR-US relations further improve Korea will be in the picture.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,731
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania

The problem with Korea is the pressure from the US

The US is set on preventing Turkey from acquiring nuclear tech one way or another for many years; this is why Turkey had Russia build its first NPP and why China and Turkey are so close on setting a deal for a third NPP in Turkey with the second being given to the Russians

For Turkey, S.Korea is the best option as the ties between the Turks and Koreans are strong but with the US in between, it is near impossible for such a deal to pass through especially with recent tensions

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,686
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The problem with Korea is the pressure from the US

The US is set on preventing Turkey from acquiring nuclear tech one way or another for many years; this is why Turkey had Russia build its first NPP and why China and Turkey are so close on setting a deal for a third NPP in Turkey with the second being given to the Russians

For Turkey, S.Korea is the best option as the ties between the Turks and Koreans are strong but with the US in between, it is near impossible for such a deal to pass through especially with recent tensions
True and it is just not the US. Western camp as a whole is against Turkiye acquiring nuclear energy. France, Canada, and Japan are also on the same bandwagon. When Japan wanted to make an offer it was casually reminded by the US that it would not be in their interest.

Rooxbar

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,487
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is there any detail regarding transfer of tech? I personally trust Koreans much more than any other country. I expect such a transfer may happen too.
People who have worked with Korean firms do not share in this trust with you.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,742
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well, you can find bad eggs in any country. I think it's important to look at the principles behind the business deals. I think it's more likely that we get Korean or Russia power plant.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
I just hope that the tech transfer happens seamlessly. The Akkuyu contract mentions it, but Russia is unpredictable.
Does the contract actually mention it or is this like the S-400s again?

Also, how the hell did Iran overtake Turkey in nuclear power sector?

_Mu_

Reactions
4 194
Nation of residence
Egypt
Nation of origin
Egypt

Turkey is willing to consider the option of purchasing small nuclear reactors after the launch of the Akkuyu NPP and the construction of two new NPPs in Sinop and Thrace, said Alparslan Bayraktar, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources of Turkey, during a panel session at ATOMEXPO 2024. The session was moderated by Sergey Brilev, President of the Global Energy Association.

Top Bottom