Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan

Pakistan Army surpasses Israel, Canada to become 10th most powerful in world​

Pakistan is the only country in top 15 which has improved its ranking on Global Firepower index

Pakistan Army has been ranked the 10th most powerful in the world out of 133 countries on the Global Firepower index 2021, according to data released by the group on its official website.

The list by Global Firepower (GFP) relies on more than 50 factors to determine a nation's PowerIndex ('PwrIndx') score with categories ranging from military might and financials to logistical capability and geography.

In the annual GFP review of 2021, Pakistan Armed Forces scored 0.2083 with 0.000 being the perfect score in the list. With a huge jump of five places leaving behind Israel, Canada, Iran and Indonesia in the process, Pakistan is the only country in the top 15 which improved its ranking.

Read more: Pakistan Army’s SSG best special force in the world: COAS

Currently, the country dedicates $7 billion from its annual budget for defence purposes.

The United States military was ranked the most powerful armed force in the world, closely followed by Russia and China. India retained the fourth slot while Angola, Bulgaria and Syria declined in the ranking.

Turkey, Italy, Egypt, Germany, Saudi Arabia, Spain and Australia were also among prominent militaries which were beaten by Pakistan military in the rankings.

Mis_TR_Like

Contributor
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 4,890
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

Pakistan is the only country in top 15 which has improved its ranking on Global Firepower index

Pakistan Army has been ranked the 10th most powerful in the world out of 133 countries on the Global Firepower index 2021, according to data released by the group on its official website.

The list by Global Firepower (GFP) relies on more than 50 factors to determine a nation's PowerIndex ('PwrIndx') score with categories ranging from military might and financials to logistical capability and geography.

In the annual GFP review of 2021, Pakistan Armed Forces scored 0.2083 with 0.000 being the perfect score in the list. With a huge jump of five places leaving behind Israel, Canada, Iran and Indonesia in the process, Pakistan is the only country in the top 15 which improved its ranking.

Currently, the country dedicates $7 billion from its annual budget for defence purposes.

The United States military was ranked the most powerful armed force in the world, closely followed by Russia and China. India retained the fourth slot while Angola, Bulgaria and Syria declined in the ranking.

Turkey, Italy, Egypt, Germany, Saudi Arabia, Spain and Australia were also among prominent militaries which were beaten by Pakistan military in the rankings.

Pakistan should have been in the top 10 long ago. To be honest the GFP list is very inconsistent, there's a lot of issues with it. For one thing, Turkey's fighter jet numbers are completely off. There is also a lack of things such as air defences and drones, not to mention that the quality isn't put into consideration.

Pakistan should definitely be in the top 10, however I don't think Brazil should. Sure they have a large population and economy but they lack the asset numbers of Pakistan.

The fact that they ranked Pakistan 15th in 2020, and now 10th says to me that I can't really trust their ranking. It seems as if every year they decide to reshuffle it just to keep it interesting.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Pakistan should have been in the top 10 long ago. To be honest the GFP list is very inconsistent, there's a lot of issues with it. For one thing, Turkey's fighter jet numbers are completely off. There is also a lack of things such as air defences and drones, not to mention that the quality isn't put into consideration.

Pakistan should definitely be in the top 10, however I don't think Brazil should. Sure they have a large population and economy but they lack the asset numbers of Pakistan.

The fact that they ranked Pakistan 15th in 2020, and now 10th says to me that I can't really trust their ranking. It seems as if every year they decide to reshuffle it just to keep it interesting.

Yep. For example according to the GFP, Pakistan should be able to take down Australia militarily or give it a good blow but in reality neither Australia has the capability to give Pakistan any form of blow nor Pakistan has the capability and the reason is simple geography. The GFP, it seems focuses entirely and solely on military meanwhile history is evidence of how some of the best victories happened due to geography and weather. There is no way Hannibal could have had that successful ambush, if fog wasn't there to hide his troops.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
I often cite the Russo Finnish war in this regard. The GFP of that time would have had Russia steamrolling Finland but the way Finland used it's geography and environment and determination to beat a far more powerful enemy is proof that firepower is not everything.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,099
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Seriously everyone who is seriously interested in military affairs should stop citing GFP. -_-

Indonesia is stronger than Taiwan? I mean WTH?? I would argue that Indonesia is weaker and more vulnerable than Thailand.

Paro

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
I often cite the Russo Finnish war in this regard. The GFP of that time would have had Russia steamrolling Finland but the way Finland used it's geography and environment and determination to beat a far more powerful enemy is proof that firepower is not everything.
Check this video.

Saiyan0321

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
100 1,891
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Seriously everyone who is seriously interested in military affairs should stop citing GFP. -_-

Indonesia is stronger than Taiwan? I mean WTH?? I would argue that Indonesia is weaker and more vulnerable than Thailand.

But that still doesn't cover the geographical fact. Is Pakistan stronger than Indonesia militarily? Yes. Can Pakistan invade Indonesia or even defeat Indonesia militarily? Nope. It does not have the naval capability. The number of islands alone are a mess to handle and the population also.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,099
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
But that still doesn't cover the geographical fact. Is Pakistan stronger than Indonesia militarily? Yes. Can Pakistan invade Indonesia or even defeat Indonesia militarily? Nope. It does not have the naval capability. The number of islands alone are a mess to handle and the population also.
I took the geography factor when I declare Indonesia is weaker and more vulnerable than Thailand, the more the area to cover the more the stretch and supply constraints to the army, this is very true when you look at Indonesia's geography. Indonesian numerical superiority will be nullified once you realize that you have to defend islands separated by thousand of Km's. I mean Indonesian army are already reduced to pockets in Java, Sumatra, Borneo etc since day 1 . Thailand doesn't have this headache if they want to move between their territories.

In any war involving near-peer or superior enemy we're totally owned.

S

Sinan

Every year same discussions. GFP has no meaning.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Never trust these ranks or take them seriously. They are infantile at best and mostly peddling agendas. In fact always take any international 'ranking' by what might sound very respectable name with pinch of salt and when it comes to Pakistan take them with mountain of salt. When I ever read a report by some think tank or other about Pakistan i always check the 'experts' behind it. Almost with 100% certidude if the report is negative there will be a Abidanshakar, Prasadlal or a Gowasami behind it.

back on the subject of military ranking Afghanistan falls somewhere at 99th bottom or 100th bottom. But the Taliban there have weathered some of the largest bombing runs, some of mightest militaries on earth and today Yanks are talking to them. Numbers will never be able to abstract the human fighting spirit.

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
In a conventional war Australia, Spain, Saudia Arabia would not stand a chance against Pakistan Army. Egypt would fare better. Only Turkey and Germany would be able to fight it out. Although all this is moot. With nuclear weapons on hand the entire calculus is changed.

Israel is a unigue case. fighting Israel is like fighting a shadow of Uncle Sam. Your never gonna win unless you can knock out Uncle Sam first. Meaning Israel is for purposes of military power the unofficial 51st state of United States of America that is marooned in Western Asia.

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,836
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
My own personal opinion is that only nations that can produce most critical hardware themselves should be considered strong. The rest are venerable to politics. We seen this playout many times against Turkey in the past.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
My own personal opinion is that only nations that can produce most critical hardware themselves should be considered strong. The rest are venerable to politics. We seen this playout many times against Turkey in the past.
Not enough.
Only independent countries should be on a list.
A country able to produce everything requiered for its Armed forces,have the logistics to supply the troops everywhere needed.
So,the real list is small.
1.USA

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,836
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Not enough.
Only independent countries should be on a list.
A country able to produce everything requiered for its Armed forces,have the logistics to supply the troops everywhere needed.
So,the real list is small.
1.USA

That's why Turks must understand that unless you can make your own tools of war you can never truly be independent. I feel for most things we are about 20 years away. The day we can build our own advanced fighter jets without a 3rd party need for engines and what not we will have entered a different tier.

The enemy has only ever sold Turkey weapons as a means of leverage against Turkey. The illusion is that Turkey buys these weapons to defend herself, when in reality these weapons become a burden in times of actual conflict.

Not only do they stunt your own growth in such industries. The moment Turkey smashed the pkk communists in syria, embargoes were placed against Turkey concerning weapons and spare parts. Buying weapons is a short term feel good but a long term cost. Even in Armenia look at how the western world has placed embargoes on UAV parts which are entirely commercial meaning even you and me could buy those parts and have them delivered to your door. These people on paper are not NATO allies but have no issues listening to a Russian ally to sanction a NATO member state.

Striving to make your own weapons is a short term hell, but the only real long term road to salvation.

Turkey needs to push to create a nato like union of nations who all pool their resources to develop the state of the art weapons while also all buying those weapons to reduce the per unit cost. Right now this is very real possibility with Azerbaijan and Pakistan. Hopefully it can then be extended to other Turkic states and friendly Muslim states like Qatar, Libya, Tunisa, Somalia etc.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom