Pakistan Navy has officially inducted first Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft Embraer Lineage 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
17 19,905
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
E-Rj-ogWQAEMdKW

Pakistan to replace Orion patrol aircraft with Brazilian jetliner​

BDT7HBKR4RAZRB7PBOYBKR44WQ.jpg

An attendant stands beside a model of the Embraer Lineage 1000 business jet during the Asian Aerospace Show in Hong Kong on March 8, 2011. (Kin Cheung/AP)

Pakistan’s Navy has selected the Embraer Lineage 1000 jetliner to replace its P-3C Orion long-range maritime patrol aircraft, a source with knowledge of the program has confirmed to Defense News.

Outgoing naval chief Adm. Adm. Zafar Mahmood Abbasi announced Oct. 6 that the Navy would replace its P-3C Orion fleet with 10 converted commercial jets, the first of which has been ordered. However, he did not identify the type.

The Ministry of Defence Production, which handles acquisition, did not return requests for comment regarding the conversion and possible partners.
With only a single aircraft ordered thus far, the program is in its early stages. When converted for Pakistani service, the aircraft will be called Sea Sultan.
It is unclear if the aircraft is being acquired directly from the manufacturer or another party. Embraer did not respond to requests for comment.

The question of what issues may arise in converting the aircraft was put to Douglas Barrie, an aerospace analyst at the International Institute for Strategic Studies:

“Using a commercial turbofan engine-powered aircraft as the basis for an ASW [anti-submarine warfare] platform is not unheard of. After all, the U.S. P-8 is a Boeing 737-800 derivative," he said.

But there are challenges in converting the aircraft, he added, "not least of all if internal weapons carriage is required where a bomb bay will need to be cut into the airframe.”

“[It is a] significant undertaking, and risk management is going to be important,” he said, adding that it’s likely Embraer will be asked to help with the conversion, “otherwise the challenges just get all the greater.”

Frederico Lemos, Embraer’s defense representative who handles business in Asia, did not respond to Defense News' questions about whether the company is or would be involved in the conversion process.

Bilal Khan(Quwa) 

Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
3 227
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Pakistan
IMO if the PN's openly saying they've selected the Lineage 1000E for the LRMPA, then it means this program is now in full swing from an implementation standpoint. I can't wait to see the final result. There were some reports on Jane's about various airframe modifications (including concealed torpedo bay) alluding to this program (but with an unnamed/undisclosed customer). Exciting.

E

Elaser

"But a source with knowledge of Pakistan’s defense programs told Defense News that Paramount Group is the lead contractor, with Leonardo relegated to supplying hardware."

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
Mere 2 ton payload with max fuel , otherwise you have to compromise on fuel .

It's weapons package will be pathetic otherwise it will lose big time on avionics .

Not suitable for a mpa .
They have small coast , very small area of interest so , i think they can compromise on the load and fuel capacity

kumata

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
They have small coast , very small area of interest so , i think they can compromise on the load and fuel capacity

point is even for such small area , is that payload enough. can they stay in air for long enough and protect themselves....

Range as per wiki is ...
  • Range: 8,500 km (5,300 mi, 4,600 nmi) 8 pax (M 0.78, NBAA IFR res.)
With added weight, It will reduce further. With a area of 6,975 km to petrol... this is not much.

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
point is even for such small area , is that payload enough. can they stay in air for long enough and protect themselves....

Range as per wiki is ...
  • Range: 8,500 km (5,300 mi, 4,600 nmi) 8 pax (M 0.78, NBAA IFR res.)
With added weight, It will reduce further. With a area of 6,975 km to petrol... this is not much.
I think the count will be enough to cover many zones and Pakistan has one quality and I appreciate that , they always get best buck for money , you remember their AWACS , they are small cheap and in good numbers to server their purpose .

kumata

Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
I think the count will be enough to cover many zones and Pakistan has one quality and I appreciate that , they always get best buck for money , you remember their AWACS , they are small cheap and in good numbers to server their purpose .

Right. Unlike us where our AWACS are multirole.. These are single role but yeah with 10 on order, they will make good deterrent and will serve the purpose...

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
@crixus 😑😑😑😑. Pulse doppler vs aesa .

Literally dude i mean literally
Budd , you know we have to appreciate what they do right , and what we do wrong , checkout their procurements and check our procurements and you will see the difference .
I am not mentioning some specific product they have procured and they are clear in their heads that India is their eternal enemy and they have to use their available budget is best possible way to counter India .
They are doing far better job with almost 1/8th(declared) of India's defence budget . Let me ask you one thing , with similar conditions as Pakistan , how many countries possess similar hard power acceopt it or not they literally humiliated America in Afghanistan , they hided OBL and even US was not able to do anything .

Pakistan has n number of short comings but they have survival instinct , and they use their money properly .

crixus

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
😂 define containing India?

There is a thing called as nation building and priorities.

And about awacs, its useful purpose for Pakistanis and Indians is vastly different.
Containing India means , 80s insurgency in Punjab , 90s insurgency in Kashmir , 2000s bomb blasts in all major cities and see the response from India , till 2014 the policy of bleeding India with 1000 cuts was working perfectly fine . Its just now they have increased the cost on Pakistani side and now the unpredictability of India's response is the biggest thing happen but too little too late

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,096
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
PN should add anti ship missile capability. Make this a quasi maritime bomber.

Raptor

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Budd , you know we have to appreciate what they do right , and what we do wrong , checkout their procurements and check our procurements and you will see the difference .
I am not mentioning some specific product they have procured and they are clear in their heads that India is their eternal enemy and they have to use their available budget is best possible way to counter India .
They are doing far better job with almost 1/8th(declared) of India's defence budget . Let me ask you one thing , with similar conditions as Pakistan , how many countries possess similar hard power acceopt it or not they literally humiliated America in Afghanistan , they hided OBL and even US was not able to do anything .

Pakistan has n number of short comings but they have survival instinct , and they use their money properly .
That's completely wrong bud.
Hope you compare the awacs

Kaptaan

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Thread locked until I clean it up.

Status